Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Burning Oil - What If I Don't Fix It ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you get them to warranty past 80k?

Originally Posted by motoguy128
Should have an extended warranty for this issue.

My 2011 had around 100k miles when the Audi dealer replaced the rings under warranty. I went ahead and had the timing chain, serpentine belts and tensioner replaced too.

WARNING: REPLACE THE TIMING CHAIN COVER!!! they will try to reuse it because Audi won't replace it, but it's thin stamped steel and will likely bend and leak almost as much oil as the car was burning before!!! The dealer "split" the costs and only charged my $400 to pull the front clip off and replace it. I should have threatened to get a lawyer. Great way to lose a customer for life at a dealership.

Also, if you at high miles, you might replace the engine mounts and water pump too. Should be minimal labor at that point, mostly parts.

Finally, when if an annoying "clunk" shows up when braking and accelerating, have them tighten the lower subframe brace. I think it's located just behind the front axle. Mine was only slightly loose.

New engine mounts, mostly rebuilt engine, and it's like a new car. Honestly, the car is in great shape and you can barely tell it from a new one. Also had a wheel bearing go bad recently. Par for the course it seems.

Now just hope the turbo, tranny, and AC compressor make it another 4-5 years and 50k miles and I'll be satisfied.
I have a 2011 with 95k miles on it and they said the extended warranty is only valid through 80k miles. How did you get them to replace the rings at 100k? Mine burns a quart per 500 miles. I spend almost as much on oil as i do on fuel. Completely ridiculous and I will never buy an audi again.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Tim you need to go after Audi (USA I presume) and don't let up ! Let them know that you're not going to fade away and will make your situation as public as possible until they cave.It's shameful how they've handled this issue and they have to be held to account.
" I will never buy an audi again " I completely understand your point of view but recognize that generally Audi builds a solid engine ( exception oil- consumption 2.0L.) But all manufacturers have their "hot spots" .Eg.I know 2 people who've had their complete engines on Acura/Honda MDX s.replaced.This was at slightly past warranty period..One got partial compensation the other was left in the cold.Audi VW sales are really good and they can/should ensure their future clientel with a reasonable approach to issues that are their fault.
Lexus isn't perfect either, and don't get me going on Land Rover, BMW,Merc. & Volvo.Hopefully Audi N.A. can be swayed,Best of luck.