Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder

Looking to buy a Q5 but concerned a few owners have encountered a funny shudder in the steering.
Found this on the A4 B8 forum: Is this the same problem?
See below.

Default Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA
I know this has been discussed many times and is not new but after talking with a Management representative at AOA this week, I thought I'd provide an update and perhaps consolidate the many previous discussions with his confirmations.

There are two Audi recognized vibration issues with 2009 B8 A4s (U.S.) and neither is software or tire related (unless, of course, there is actually a wheel out of balance or damaged). One is the low speed "shuddering" that occurs on certain surfaces at very low speeds. The second is the 65-70 mph high speed vibration noticed in the steering wheel that many have experienced to varying degrees and mileages. In my case, the first has been observable from about 5000 miles and the second has become progressively more noticeable and is now reproducible at all times at 65-70 mph.

This week, the AOA corporate rep informed me that Audi factory engineers have been working on the problem and they are focused on the design of a steering system hose. He told me they will eventually have a TSB fix for this once they are certain they have fully tested it and are certain they have solved the problem. He said it could be 1-2 months before a TSB would be issued.

The high speed vibration is also an Audi recognized issue and they now have a TSB out that addresses this. After the dealer has force balanced the wheels and if the problem persists, they are to contact AOA for approval to change out the lower control arms. Apparently, Audi has changed the control arms with stiffer bushings in the new arms to alleviate this issue. (He confirmed The 2010 A4s have deployed these new control arms at the build). The only drawback is they are back-ordered on the new arms due to the demand and I was told it could take a few weeks for the dealer to obtain them for your car.

All will be covered under warranty.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had the high speed problem from day one. It's not terrible, just annoying. You said they had the fix in the 2010 A4. What about the 2010 Q5 (which is what I have).
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

my Q5 is absolutely shudder-free at any speed
only a very slight vibration was perceptible during the first 50 miles, but the reason was that the car stayed on a parking for 6 months before delivery. Once the tires were run in, the car is a delight to drive
I would first check the balance of (all) the tires
I'a also a member of a belgian forum, and that kind of problem was never quoted
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've clocked 14,000km (8750mi) and no shudder or vibrations at all at any speed (but I've only had her up to 115mi/hr)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

3000+ miles, no shudder, low or high speed. No gear box clunking at low speeds. Love the car.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

2010 Q5 and I have the shudder. I begin to notice it at around 60mph. You can see the steering wheel oscillate back and forth if you take your hands off the wheel. Happened since the first time I drove it fast on the highway. There's also a a feeling at very low speeds, like an unnatural resistance to turning
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '09 Q5 and had a horrible shudder. Finally, they were able to fix it. Drives perfect now, finally.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

for me Audi replaced steering shaft to get rid of clicking noise on steering. shudder issue is lurking some where out there have not felt it recently - may be the weather has cooled down.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

After about 700 miles I'm getting steering vibration however, it's not at speed but rather when I'm reversing and doing a full turn does the steering wheel start to shake.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2010 Q5 with 1,200 miles and no steering shudder/shake.

Quick Reply: Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder