Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcw7w6
Great info!!! My dealer has balanced my wheels three or four times without fixing it. It's annoying. I called AofA and they gave me a case#. They said to call again if dealer couldn't fix problem. I notice ours started around the 2k-3k mark.
if disc distorsion is responsible for the shudder, and if the problem appears after only a few thousand miles, there must be a logical reason for such an early degradation
in my opinion, the electric brake could be the culprit : when the pads are applied on fairly heated discs (for example when leaving the car using teh electric brake), I guess that different temperatures can occur and could be the cause of slight distorsions
I think anyway that it is better not to use the electric brake to immobilise the car for a long time (and undoubtly in moisty/icy weather)
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's some visuals on the control arm replacement for the high speed shudder. Hopefully we'll see something more definitive from Audi soon on the low AND high speed vibration once and for all...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...n-wrap-up.html
Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by torzeck
Looking to buy a Q5 but concerned a few owners have encountered a funny shudder in the steering.
Found this on the A4 B8 forum: Is this the same problem?
See below.

Default Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA
I know this has been discussed many times and is not new but after talking with a Management representative at AOA this week, I thought I'd provide an update and perhaps consolidate the many previous discussions with his confirmations.

The high speed vibration is also an Audi recognized issue and they now have a TSB out that addresses this. After the dealer has force balanced the wheels and if the problem persists, they are to contact AOA for approval to change out the lower control arms. Apparently, Audi has changed the control arms with stiffer bushings in the new arms to alleviate this issue. (He confirmed The 2010 A4s have deployed these new control arms at the build). The only drawback is they are back-ordered on the new arms due to the demand and I was told it could take a few weeks for the dealer to obtain them for your car.

Yes, that must be the very same issue as A4, A5 and Q5 all share the same suspension and breaks. The Audi procedure is called TPI2005359/8. Apparently they the hydrogel bearings for the new control arms make the difference. They are also changing the standard Dunlop Sport 3D to Goodyear Wrangler F1 108 W in some cases + wheel balancing these.

Still my local Audi dealers in Germany pretend not knowing about any issues with the Q5 - even if you poin them directly to the problem. It seems AOA is a step ahead of the German HQ here. Thanks for the update!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rko6969
Yes, that must be the very same issue as A4, A5 and Q5 all share the same suspension and breaks. The Audi procedure is called TPI2005359/8. Apparently they the hydrogel bearings for the new control arms make the difference. They are also changing the standard Dunlop Sport 3D to Goodyear Wrangler F1 108 W in some cases + wheel balancing these.

Still my local Audi dealers in Germany pretend not knowing about any issues with the Q5 - even if you poin them directly to the problem. It seems AOA is a step ahead of the German HQ here. Thanks for the update!
that said - I would urge you to wait until we see that fix showing up in new cars off the manufacturing line 6 month from now. Audi Germany has been kind of hush hush on all this and it still might not be the final fix for the problem either. I would feel better to me if Audi comes up with a definitive statement on it saying what happened and what the final fix looks like (they should really know, shouldn't they?). Otherwise there is a good chance this is going on forever with the A4, A5 and Q5.