Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Top grade vs. Middle grade gas

Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top grade vs. Middle grade gas

Im in Texas and our Top grade is 92 octane...cant remember what the middle is..90? Not sure. Has anyone tried the middle grade instead of the premium. I believe our middle is 1 octane lower than what the manual says, as the top is 1 ocatne above...

2011 with 7500miles on it and LOVEIN IT!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure,but I would think so, especially on the 3.2l. On the turbo 2.0l, I would only put premium fuel. I know I'll only put 94 octane in mine. Do you want todo this because of the cost?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzy911
Has anyone tried the middle grade instead of the premium.
Not yet and probably won't unless I have to because of availability. Can't imagine why one would consider it.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Not yet and probably won't unless I have to because of availability. Can't imagine why one would consider it.
Ditto - One wonders why a person would buy a Q5 if they wanted or could not afford to use the proper materials to maintain the vehicle per the way Audi designed it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Madelinot
Not sure,but I would think so, especially on the 3.2l. On the turbo 2.0l, I would only put premium fuel. I know I'll only put 94 octane in mine. Do you want todo this because of the cost?
94?? In LA premium gas is 91 Octane. And over $4.00/gal now. Ouch. Although the Europeans would call this dirt cheap.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just wait till this summer when $4/gal seems cheap...
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in Texas to and for the extra $2 or $3 a tank it is worth it. You do get better mpg's out of high grade gas. So I think it makes up for it. I have ran a couple of 90 in my car because that was the only super they had at the station. That was up in the panhandle with no other station around.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was just curious. And yes, in case the premium dissapears. Anything is possible with the unrest in the middle east right now. Ive been using premium for mannnny years, the other ride is a WS6 TA that needs the premium...Wasnt planning on purposely cutting corners. If i was concerned about the price I would have never traded the 4 runner....
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While I think the world is rapidly running towards the time when oil runs out and we need to plan for that this latest "crisis" doesn't impress me. Libya is the only country that currently is not producing like it normally does and the Saudi's have already covered the shortage.

The oil companies in the US are doing exactly what they always do; seizing on a crisis to elevate the base price of gas. As soon as their sales data shows a decline in consumption the price will suddenly start coming down as they try to find the new base. They do this every year in a small way and every couple of years in a big way. The new base will be 20 - 30 cents more than the previous base. This is big oil's version of supply and demand, they can't really manipulate supply because that will quickly get out of control so they take advantage of crisis to create a perceived supply problem which allows them to raise prices. As soon as demand declines the "supply" issues disappear.

This isn't to say that that a real crisis couldn't come along and really mess things up, it could easily happen. Also as others have pointed out Europe pays twice what we do.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Didnt plan to get political over the simple random question. Euro pays twice as much AND its for a liter not a gallon, yes I understand the concept. Just a simple question folks. Ten years ago super was 0.99. Not really that big of a change since then, 10 years $3.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top grade vs. Middle grade gas