AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Cannot put gas in (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/cannot-put-gas-2845033/)

HarmsWay 03-30-2013 04:17 PM

Cannot put gas in

Very weird problem has happened twice now. I pull into the self serve gas bar, turn off the car and remove the gas cap. But even though its mostly empty I can't put any gas in because the Q5 seems to be blowing air out of the tank which just shuts off the flow of gas. The first time it happened I was thinking did I forget to turn off the car? When I got home it wasn't blowing air out. Then it happened a second time and no it was definitely off so I turned it on for a second (didn't start it though) then turned it off and all was well again.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried a search and couldn't find anything similar.

rdA4WtQ5 03-30-2013 04:41 PM

Happened once early on. Only drove a short distance about a mile before it happened. Waited a minute or so and then it was fine to fill.

Reggie 03-30-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by HarmsWay (Post 24426265)
Very weird problem has happened twice now. I pull into the self serve gas bar, turn off the car and remove the gas cap. But even though its mostly empty I can't put any gas in because the Q5 seems to be blowing air out of the tank which just shuts off the flow of gas. The first time it happened I was thinking did I forget to turn off the car? When I got home it wasn't blowing air out. Then it happened a second time and no it was definitely off so I turned it on for a second (didn't start it though) then turned it off and all was well again.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried a search and couldn't find anything similar.

Are you holding the nozzle or putting it on automatic. Have you readjusted the angle the nozzle goes into the tank?

HarmsWay 03-30-2013 06:16 PM

Uh, yes I'm holding the nozzle right.

dsackman 03-31-2013 07:46 AM

This may be relevant...

I did find that the '13 3.0T gas receiver is a lot tighter than what it was in the '11 2.0T I had previously. I wrote it off as the car being new (a virgin) and being a little tight, but she had not loosen up yet.

It could be that there is not enough space for any air to escape and that it produces some sort of back pressure? Just speculating...

georgehf 03-31-2013 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 24426293)
Are you holding the nozzle or putting it on automatic. Have you readjusted the angle the nozzle goes into the tank?

Originally Posted by HarmsWay (Post 24426312)
Uh, yes I'm holding the nozzle right.

In my wife's BMW, the gas shuts off immediately at some gas stations. I discovered that if you pull the nozzle out a little bit or change the angle that the problem goes away. You may want to try that, rather than just assuming that you're holding the nozzle correctly. What is right at some gas stations for some cars, might not be right for all. YMMV.

rarewolf 03-31-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by georgehf (Post 24426484)
In my wife's BMW, the gas shuts off immediately at some gas stations. ...

I've been there too, with a Honda, so that phenomenon may be fairly common. What's weird about the OP's post is the tank "blowing air". The only thing I might imagine is an un-submerged fuel pump(??) I cannot wait to hear of his visit to his dealer!
:confused:

Parsec 03-31-2013 04:16 PM

I had this problem once with a Nissan Maxima. Problem was a bad evap charcoal canister. You can check the evap canister vent filter or valve first for clogs. I don't know if these parts are even applicable to our Q5's, but just sharing my experience with this same problem from a different vehicle.

Zigaroo 04-01-2013 03:33 AM

When i went for a fill up last week, when i opened the cap, i heard a pressure coming out too. I wait and then i've put in the nozzle. No problem filling up.

uberwgn 04-01-2013 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Parsec (Post 24426585)
Problem was a bad evap charcoal canister. You can check the evap canister vent filter or valve first for clogs.

^^^This. Have the dealer investigate assuming we're still under warranty. Not an uncommon problem when you can't pump gasoline in.