Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cannot put gas in

Old 04-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I think we're getting closer to a solution here.

So I went hunting around for the leak detection pump and/or the fuel tank pressure sensor, using those great diagrams as a guide. Then I remembered that along with the underbody panels that were missing (which I mentioned in an earlier post about all this, and which also conveniently gave me easy access to the EVAP canister), I was also missing my driver's side rear wheel well liner, which I assume came off at the same time as the other panels, while under prior ownership more than a year ago. So I peeked under there and found this mounted right above the tire:

The EVAP system air filter and the leak detection assembly all packed nicely together, and so easy to access! Now we're in business!

Now this little grouping would normally be protected by that aforementioned missing wheel well liner, and when I started handling it, I discovered it was CAKED with dirt, sand, and all other sorts of road grime that a year of driving had thrown at it. I brushed and tapped a bunch of it off (the photo was taken after I did this), and then on a hunch, went directly to the gas station to see if I could put fuel in the tank uninterrupted.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that while I still had some trouble filling up without the pump stopping prematurely, I was definitely able to add the fuel at a much faster rate than before. My guess, then, is that that air filter is so plugged up inside from a year of exposure to tire spray that it won't work as well as it should. When I earlier tried putting in fuel with that line to the air filter disconnected from the EVAP canister (detailed in an earlier post in this thread), the fuel flow was good. I'd almost bet that replacing that air filter will solve my problem.

Of course, I also realize that having that leak detection assembly similarly exposed might have damaged it, too, but I'm willing to spend $30-$40 on a new air filter and seeing what happens before I look at that.

Am I thinking about this right? Does this make sense?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my post above I suggested that you remove this air filter. Seems easy to push a button to remove the air filter hose. Then try a fillup, if ok you need a new filter, if not new LD pump most likely.