Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cargo Box for Q5/SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking at the Yakima Cabonite 16. I found a few on Craigslist in the $300 range that are new.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice, I really want to powdercoat some stock wheels.

Any of you guys also running a fairing when you have the box on?

Pic from web:

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
That looks pretty neat but not sure how useful when you have the box installed?

You got a part number.....might look it up and see if it is worth it.

V/r
Dan
+1 Fairings works when you only have the cross bars. I have the same INNO fairings on my Golf R. It was a must because the VW crossbars are ridiculously noisy. I think the Q5 crossbars are pretty quiet without fairings.
Attached Thumbnails Cargo Box for Q5/SQ5-img_8551.jpg   Cargo Box for Q5/SQ5-img_8526.jpg  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Either way it maybe promising...wife wants to start Kayaking when I get settled in the new place.

If that is the case, the roof racks may stay on the car.

On totaling different note, I got 2 Q5s. Got to set of racks but one set has the the wrong special tool to tightening the rack on. Has anyone had this problem, if so how they get it fixed?

V/r
Dan
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
On totaling different note, I got 2 Q5s. Got to set of racks but one set has the the wrong special tool to tightening the rack on. Has anyone had this problem, if so how they get it fixed?
Dan
You can buy a new torque wrench online. Just make sure you get the correct code:

ECS tuning sells them online or your dealer should be able to order them.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlouxL
You can buy a new torque wrench online. Just make sure you get the correct code:

ECS tuning sells them online or your dealer should be able to order them.
Great thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just picked up the Thule Motion XL. It's the size large.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do these affect the MPG greatly?

Are they noisy?

Just thinking ahead, for the ski season.

Jason
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Thule Hyper XL
Hey Kris - urgent question if you would please... I have a Thule Sonic M on my Q5, and I've been reading if/how I could add a bike roof rack like you have in your picture. What kind of bike rack are you using? I only need to fit one mountain bike with normal size wheels (not a fatty). I need to buy and acquire this week before a vacation and your set up looks awesome. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi, so those are Thule side arm bike racks. They were both modified to fit the standard Q5 crossbars, AND they just barely fit. I also had to cut my box key to be flush with the latch. It was very custom, and very very very tight. I'm not sure I'd recommend it *with the OEM bars*. If you can get a wider set of bars, you should be much better off, assuming the feet are farther apart. the problem with the Sidearms is they are quite wide where they attach to the front crossbar. I re-drilled the holes and made custom brackets to wrap around the rack feet.

Crazy part is, it isn't even my car, it was a press fleet loaner from Audi. So I did all of that work for a week of enjoyment!

Originally Posted by @CHASKABLAKE
Hey Kris - urgent question if you would please... I have a Thule Sonic M on my Q5, and I've been reading if/how I could add a bike roof rack like you have in your picture. What kind of bike rack are you using? I only need to fit one mountain bike with normal size wheels (not a fatty). I need to buy and acquire this week before a vacation and your set up looks awesome. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JasonJ
Do these affect the MPG greatly?

Are they noisy?

Just thinking ahead, for the ski season.

Jason
Just finished my first trip with the Thule cargo box and my fuel mileage was about 1.5 to 2 MPG lower that what I've been getting the last three months.

There is noticeable wind noise with the box on, but it was not as much as I would have guessed it was going to be. The wind noise was not anything that made it uncomfortable inside the Q5.

I used the cargo box to carry bulky and odd shaped items (stroller, golf clubs, etc) that would have eaten up space in the back. Its easy to attach and load up taking about 10 to 15 minutes total. And it makes traveling so much more comfortable compared to piling it all in the back with some of the seats down.