Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

changing Q5 tires

Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing Q5 tires

Hi guys. It's about that time to take off my winter tires and put on the summer tires.

I noticed a good deal on a torque wrench at detailersdomain.com so I started thinking that I should do the tire change myself.
I was also thinking of getting a wheel hanger to help.

Embarrassed to say that I've never changed a tire so I know I youtube that can help me with that. Process looked simple enough.

Aside from TPMS settings is there anything special that needs to be done on changing the tires on a Q5?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a couple of general tips, probably not Audi-specific:
(1) see if you can get a neighbor, friend, or family member to help you out this "first" time.
(2) Be careful to not allow the (off the vehicle) tires to fall-over onto their sides. This can scratch and/or chip the rims.
(3) Wash, dry, and treat the winter tires/rims after you take them off and prior to storing them for the summer.
(4) Inspect each winter tire for damage and wear pattern. If wear patterns are seen, take the car in for diagnosis and possible re-alignment.
(5) Don't put your fingers under any wheel that is jacked-off the ground.
(6) Take a look at the brake rotors while the wheels are off. Feel them for scoring.
(7) Pay close attention to the bolt tightening pattern and torque specs when putting the summer tires on.
(8) Use masking tape to label each winter tire with the position of the car it came off of. Place the tape on the tread.
(9) Recheck all the lugnuts about 1 week after you change the tires to ensure they are still all tight.
Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

all good points...thanks very much
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You dont need to worry about TPMS unless you have a 2009 model.
Honestly you should take your wheels to a local tire shop and have them swap.
It cost me $22 at my local Firestone. Just ask them to label and bag the wheels. Saves time and back ache.

Last edited by Audirings4; 03-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

$60 a pop here in Canada, so that's technically $120 a year.

Does it take long to do?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's worth $120/year to let someone else do this for you if you don't have the tools.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's worth $120 if you DO have the tools.
If you do take it to the tire store or where ever, be sure and let them know you are watching "your baby", and how you want the wheels torqued on, and to please be careful, blah, blah, blah. You cannot be too careful.
I'd take it to the dealer with the tires in the back. I just think they care more.
And why does my seat whiggle in my 7500 mile Q5 w?everything. Is this a problem?
Chris
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Funny you should start this thread. I was dying to get mine on, but wanted to polish them up first. My gf's father had been jacking his cars up and swapping the wheels, so he had all the tools out and I figured I may as well give it a shot - worst case I can call Audi Roadside if my wheels fall off. Since I've never done any sort of work on a car without a DIY manual I got him to supervise and show me where he thought good jacking points were. Did it myself without any trouble, pumped up the tires and tested the pressures, everything went great. Took me 2 hours or so with beer breaks but it was nice to save some dough and it gave me a sense of accomplishment. Depends how bored you are on a sunny day and if you have the tools.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I purchased my winter tires from my local Town Fair Tire & they include lifetime wheel swap for free ... and now you can schedule an appointment online so easy-peasy!

Also a note the Q has lug bolts not lug nuts... my dealer rep and I got into a pissing contest over checking torque of these after xx miles and when I thought they were nuts I went & spoke to a service tech & was told lug bolts do not require to be re-torqued. (is this true or not because TF doesn't remind me to come back for the re-torque either !?!?!?)

EDIT---------------
ALSO what is the suggested torque setting?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by loscoz
I purchased my winter tires from my local Town Fair Tire & they include lifetime wheel swap for free ... and now you can schedule an appointment online so easy-peasy!

Also a note the Q has lug bolts not lug nuts... my dealer rep and I got into a pissing contest over checking torque of these after xx miles and when I thought they were nuts I went & spoke to a service tech & was told lug bolts do not require to be re-torqued. (is this true or not because TF doesn't remind me to come back for the re-torque either !?!?!?)

EDIT---------------
ALSO what is the suggested torque setting?

The local tire store that installed my winter tires still re-torqued it after 80km

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing Q5 tires