AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/cheap-sim-card-plan-audi-connect-2883993/)

hitchens97 05-27-2015 07:06 AM

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Our free 6 months has run out. We like the send to car feature, and the search feature, but not so bothered about google maps or hotspot, so we'll only use a few megabytes a month I suspect.

The verdict seems to be Truphone, but just wanted to check if others had other recs.

DigitalBoy 05-27-2015 07:21 AM

+1 for Truphone. I had the same requirements as you, Truphone was the best/cheapest for the very occasional use and limited data requirements we had.

db

hilld 05-27-2015 08:12 AM

I have Truphone and it works just great, actually I would say that it works better than T-mobile as mine seems to using the AT&T network (better coverage). All I really use it for is to look up destinations from myAudi account and to google a location. I don't use Google Maps. In the month I have used it, I have consumed 4 cents of data, guess my prepaid will last quite a bit.

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 08:36 AM

Is the service through Truphone 3G? I may consider going with them.

I just received a letter from T-Mobile that due to some changes/updates to their network the metro Chicago area, the Audi Connect in-car service will go to 2G! Areas outside of the metro area will still be 3 G.

The next day I got a letter form AoA with information on a free hardware update done by the dealer which will keep the service at 3G.

I'll probably get it done but will be looking for other providers when my pre-paid subscription with T-Mobile runs out.

snagitseven 05-27-2015 10:08 AM

Does the Audi letter address a T-Mobile subscription requirement for the upgrade?

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24690477)
Does the Audi letter address a T-Mobile subscription requirement for the upgrade?

Yes, the Audi letter says "to enable Audi Connect the purchase of a data plan is required".

snagitseven 05-27-2015 11:30 AM

Hopefully, that includes any already active plans.

hilld 05-27-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob (Post 24690443)

I just received a letter from T-Mobile that due to some changes/updates to their network the metro Chicago area, the Audi Connect in-car service will go to 2G! Areas outside of the metro area will still be 3 G.

The next day I got a letter form AoA with information on a free hardware update done by the dealer which will keep the service at 3G.

I'll probably get it done but will be looking for other providers when my pre-paid subscription with T-Mobile runs out.

Tell me more about this hardware upgrade?

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24690518)
Hopefully, that includes any already active plans.

It sounds like active plans won't be effected.

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by hilld (Post 24690541)
Tell me more about this hardware upgrade?

I don't have any additional information, other than what was in the letter from AoA. It's about 1.5 hours labor (usually overstated?) and will "restore 3G capability". It sounds like Audi will be going with AT&T for all Audi Connect services due to better 4G coverage.

snagitseven 05-27-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob (Post 24690550)
I don't have any additional information, other than what was in the letter from AoA. It's about 1.5 hours labor (usually overstated?) and will "restore 3G capability". It sounds like Audi will be going with AT&T for all Audi Connect services due to better 4G coverage.

Already happened - 2016 models with AC now shipping have AT&T 4G LTE. Better coverage perhaps but I'd bet it also has something to do with the favorable deal Audi negotiated with AT&T.

As to the upgrade, it's likely a replacement transceiver module with the T-Mobile frequency that's missing from the original Audi Connect. Once the upgrade is done, my guess is it will receive AT&T 3G as is the case with most MY2014/2015 Audis. We'll see.

So far, no letters for the New England region. It must be a region by region roll out for T-Mobile.

Q5 Bob 05-27-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24690596)
Already happened - 2016 models with AC now shipping have AT&T 4G LTE. Better coverage perhaps but I'd bet it also has something to do with the favorable deal Audi negotiated with AT&T.

As to the upgrade, it's likely a replacement transceiver module with the T-Mobile frequency that's missing from the original Audi Connect. Once the upgrade is done, my guess is it will receive AT&T 3G as is the case with most MY2014/2015 Audis. We'll see.

So far, no letters for the New England region. It must be a region by region roll out for T-Mobile.

I hope you're right!

DanMontgomery 05-28-2015 05:42 PM

Guys,

Really interested in the Truphone option....however not really sure how this works?

I got it that my car has a standard sim card....but confused on why I would need a phone number?

Also, what else is required once I install it in the car?

V/r
Dan

snagitseven 05-28-2015 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery (Post 24690928)
Guys,

Really interested in the Truphone option....however not really sure how this works?

I got it that my car has a standard sim card....but confused on why I would need a phone number?

Also, what else is required once I install it in the car?

V/r
Dan

Just insert the Truphone sim card and follow directions to change the connection settings in the MMI:

APN: Truphone.com
Username: blank (might need a space if it won't accept a blank)
Password: blank

DanMontgomery 05-29-2015 03:49 AM

Thanks.

Going to order one this weekend.

V/r
Dan

Gary1227 05-29-2015 04:44 AM

I just tried to set up AudiConnect at home after picking up my new 2015 Q5 the other day. I have no data connection at my house with t-mobile. So I guess I am stuck with 6 months of free service that won' work near my home. I have great local coverage with AT&T, I wish they had already switched over....

snagitseven 05-29-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gary1227 (Post 24691028)
I just tried to set up AudiConnect at home after picking up my new 2015 Q5 the other day. I have no data connection at my house with t-mobile. So I guess I am stuck with 6 months of free service that won' work near my home. I have great local coverage with AT&T, I wish they had already switched over....

I assume you'll be using the car in places other than your driveway so hopefully, you'll be able to take advantage of AC/T-Mobile in other locations. :)

Gary1227 05-29-2015 06:12 AM

I just called the dealer and found that they had not activated the SIM card. So hopefully all will work once that it done and I will have connection at my house.

Q5 Bob 05-29-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gary1227 (Post 24691051)
I just called the dealer and found that they had not activated the SIM card. So hopefully all will work once that it done and I will have connection at my house.

Glad you got it resolved.

I'm surprised that they didn't get it set up when you took delivery of your Audi.

DanMontgomery 05-29-2015 08:41 AM

^^Me too^^

snagitseven 05-29-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gary1227 (Post 24691051)

Uh yeah, that would do it. Sounds like somebody dropped the ball at your dealer. It should be part of the new car prep. BTW, you could have activated the card yourself by calling T-Mobile. They would have walked you through the simple connection settings once you provided the the IME number from your MMI.

A6forMoi 06-01-2015 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by hilld (Post 24690433)
I have consumed 4 cents of data, guess my prepaid will last quite a bit.

Looks like it's 9c/MB so you'd need to use ~166MB to hit $15, which I believe is the Tmo monthly.

I think one can add a device (at least a car like device) for $10/mo to an AT&T mobile share plan, but haven't sought out details. Obviously you're using your data package then, so hard to price out that.

siren001 06-01-2015 04:05 PM

When Switching from T-MOb to something else, i.e. AT&T (Better Coverage) does your MMI iPhone app still work or does it only work on t-mob?

Has anyone changed audi connect online to a different service provider?

rycelover 06-01-2015 04:18 PM

I don't use an MMI iphone app, but I'm pretty sure its carrier agnostic; the app doesn't care which network it's on, so long as you have a data connection.

As a prior poster said, just make sure you make or confirm changes to the APN in the MMI.

snagitseven 06-01-2015 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by A6forMoi (Post 24691993)
Looks like it's 9c/MB so you'd need to use ~166MB to hit $15, which I believe is the Tmo monthly.

T-Mobile's data plan is unlimited.

A6forMoi 06-02-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24692112)
T-Mobile's data plan is unlimited.

Right - I was trying to calculate a break-even point on data usage.

snagitseven 06-02-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by A6forMoi (Post 24692187)
Right - I was trying to calculate a break-even point on data usage.

Got it. I missed your point.

rbradleysd 06-02-2015 08:49 AM

How much data does the Google Maps seem to use per month?

snagitseven 06-02-2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rbradleysd (Post 24692281)
How much data does the Google Maps seem to use per month?

It really depends on how far you travel while it's activated. The Google Earth overlay (it's not a map) will cache about a 20 mile radius from a given location. If you stay within this area, only the initial data will be downloaded. As you move outside that area, it will keep downloading to refresh the data. So, if you consistently keep moving from area to area outside the radius, the quantity of data can add up pretty quickly since Google Earth is Audi Connect's largest data hog, potentially alongside the in car wifi hotspot.

DanMontgomery 08-04-2015 04:42 AM

Guys/ Gals

Having issues...not really sure what I am doing wrong.

I have purchased my sim card...activated it.
Inserted the sim card in the car, did the following set up.

Just insert the Truphone sim card and follow directions to change the connection settings in the MMI:

APN: Truphone.com
Username: blank (might need a space if it won't accept a blank)
Password: blank

However, I am not able to connect to the internet...tells me that it can't connect try again later.

It does show me my signal (2G /3G) and gives me the bars at the bottom of my screen. Just wont let me connect.

I am missing something, just not sure what.

Will take pictures later today. Just thinking skip a step somewhere(at least hope so).

V/r
Dan

snagitseven 08-04-2015 07:25 AM

There are no other steps. Call the provider (TruPhone?) and check to see if the sim is activated. The bars just mean the car is receiving a signal.

mwaarna 08-04-2015 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob (Post 24690443)

Can you scan in a copy of the letter.
Is there a service bulletin from AOA for the change from Tmobile to ATT?
I would love the switch over, because then I could add the car to my existing family plan and share the data.

snagitseven 08-04-2015 11:41 AM

Here is the info on the T-Mobile 3G frequency change.

MY2012/2013 C7: Will work in 3G only with T-Mobile or one of the 3rd party providers that use T-Mobile, i.e. TruPhone or US Mobile. While an AT&T sim will work, it will only support the slower 2G speed. *

MY2014/2015 C7: Because these model years have an updated modem in the 5F MMI module that includes a newer T-Mobile 3G frequency, they can use either T-Mobile or AT&T for 3G.

MY2016 C7: Is set up for AT&T 4G LTE only.

* T-Mobile is changing their 3G frequency to the same one used by AT&T. So far, they are only in the process of doing this regionally in selected areas. Consequently, MY2012/2013 owners in those areas are receiving letters from T-Mobile and Audi with an offer to update the 5F MMI module, presumably to match that of the MY2014/2015 models by a few select dealers. This should allow for AT&T 3G compatibility (but not 4G LTE).

Here is the T-Mobile change fully explained:

What T-Mobile's Shut Down of 3G on the AWS Band Means For Users | Prepaid Phone News

Apparently, only limited markets are affected, at least for now. It's not clear if or when this yearT-Mobile will expand the list below. If you didn't receive a letter or live in one of the markets listed, there is no change for you or T-Mobile 3G and your dealer will probably have no idea what you are talking about.

Indianapolis, February 25th
Louisville, May 18th
Chicago, June 18th
Houston, July 15th
Los Angeles, July 22nd
Albuquerque, July 25th
El Paso, July 25th
Oklahoma City, July 27th
Savannah (Jacksonville), July 27th
Baton Rouge (Mobile), July 27th
Columbus (Atlanta), July 27th
Griffin (Atlanta), July 27th
Charleston (Carolina), July 27th
Kansas City, August 3rd
Roanoke (Virginia), August 3rd
St. Louis, August 5th
Nogales (Phoenix), August 10th
Madera (Sacramento), August 10th
Boise City (SLC), August 10th
Del Rio & Kingsville (Austin), August 10th
Miami, August 20th
Laredo (Austin), August 20th
Biloxi, Hattiesburg (Mobile), August 20th
Anniston, AL (Birmingham), August 20th

DanMontgomery 08-04-2015 12:48 PM

Snagitseven,

Will call them as soon as I can...more to follow

V/r
Dan

carguyrob 08-04-2015 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24712083)
Here is the info on the T-Mobile 3G frequency change.

MY2012/2013 C7: Will work in 3G only with T-Mobile or one of the 3rd party providers that use T-Mobile, i.e. TruPhone or US Mobile. While an AT&T sim will work, it will only support the slower 2G speed. *

MY2014/2015 C7: Because these model years have an updated modem in the 5F MMI module that includes a newer T-Mobile 3G frequency, they can use either T-Mobile or AT&T for 3G.

MY2016 C7: Is set up for AT&T 4G LTE only.

This is good information. I wandered into an AT&T store about 2 weeks ago and asked this very question. They asked me what year my car is and then confirmed that it would work by just simply switching out the SIM card.

I'm glad this is the case!

snagitseven 08-04-2015 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery (Post 24712105)
Snagitseven,

Will call them as soon as I can...more to follow

V/r
Dan

Who are you calling? If you are in one of those cities, you will get the letters with instructions. If not, there's nothing to do - no change to T-Mobile or modem update.

snagitseven 08-04-2015 04:09 PM

BTW, some of our members on T-Mobile 3G have found that U.S. Mobile is less expensive than TruPhone.
For the 250 MB plan, US Mobile is $7. The same usage on Truphone is .09 x 250 = 22.50.
100 MB plan on US Mobile = $4. Truphone for 100 MB = $9.
US Mobile sim is $3.99.
TruPhone sim is $15 (after $15 credit).
Worth checking out since both use the same T-Mobile network.

DanMontgomery 08-04-2015 06:30 PM

Just got off with customer service...my card didn't activate for some reason.

Now it has to be done manually. Will take up to 12 hours.

GO FIGURE!!!!

Thanks for the help.
Dan

DanMontgomery 08-05-2015 09:27 AM

OK, just got an email from Truphone about 2 hours ago. Tried it out at lunch...she works.

Thanks Snagitseven for everything.

V/r
Dan

snagitseven 08-05-2015 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery (Post 24712381)
OK, just got an email from Truphone about 2 hours ago. Tried it out at lunch...she works.

Thanks Snagitseven for everything.

V/r
Dan

You're welcome. After a month or so, consider trying out US Mobile. Seems to be less expensive, especially if you use the Google Earth overlay which can gobble up data very quickly if you travel outside of a 20 mile radius.