Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not as huge a deal as one might expect. While LTE has been reported to be slightly faster than 3G as implemented in the car, 3G is adequate for the applications provided by Audi Connect unless you plan to use the wifi hot spot in car for a lot of internet surfing which can suck up a lot of data usage. (Some reports indicate the Audi LTE in the car is not as fast as their phone). I have 3G in my A6 and looking up an online destination, for example, only takes only a few seconds to return the Google search results. Could it be a bit snappier? Sure, but it's livable and for me, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Keep in mind, the bulk of the nav operations, i.e. route calculations, position tracking, etc. are provided by satellite and the hard drive, not cellular.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this on the Audi notorious U.S website under technology section for the Q5 platform. I can't believe this brand I'm starting to really faultier on accepting my vehicle in a few weeks. What else did Audi lie about on SQ5? I've never encountered this kind of xxxx with any other brand. I certainly can't trust the order guide or the website let alone any car salesman.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-07-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pfgray2008
I found this on the Audi notorious U.S website under technology section for the Q5 platform. I can't believe this brand I'm starting to really faultier on accepting my vehicle in a few weeks. What else did Audi lie about on SQ5? I've never encountered this kind of xxxx with any other brand. I certainly can't trust the order guide or the website let alone any car salesman.

If you have major doubts and these things are deal breakers, it's probably the time to pull out before it's too late.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-07-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Auto makers--at least, ALL of Detroit--used to put a disclaimer in their catalogues (remember when they spent money printing things?) that said "blah blah typical model equipment and specifications subject to running changes in production and model year..." and yes, that even meant the special edition hub caps and steering wheels might not be there when you ordered a car.

Basically if they meant to offer X and they still had excess pieces of Y left over from last years model...they're going to use up the old ones first, TFB.

Sometimes you get surprised, I've found one dealer to be useless and the next to be absolutely professional. Go to the dealer--in person--and ask to see the sales manager or the dealer principal. (Who is likely to be in some conglomerate chain office and not there anyway.) Tell him, calmly, you've become aware that some items which are very important to you, like 4G LTE, may not actually be built in your car, and that you feel that if some accommodation can't be made, you'll RELUCTANTLY have to cancel the order. Give them the chance to be heroes on this. Some shops would say "We can upgrade that for you as soon as the new parts ship" and put it in writing. Some will say "We can cancel that car and rewrite your order for one with the newer equipment".

One never knows. Every once in a very long while, someone does something very polite and rational like that, and I make Real Damned Sure to think them, and let them know that is all too rare these days, and it will earn my return business--as well as recommendation. And THEY'RE quite happy to hear that, because it is the reason why they treat their customers so well.

Of course, only one has offered to lend me an R8 as a loaner car, but that was in the wrong color and it was the only one they had.(VBG)
Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
If you have major doubts and these things are deal breakers, it's probably the time to pull out before it's too late.
Agreed. I think Ford a has a more encompassing array of toys and perhaps would be a better choice if that's a priority. Of course it won't be an Audi in a hundred other ways. I'm still not sure what, besides the LTE misprint, he feels he was lied to about. That screenshot is one of several options you get with Audi Connect.

I buy Audis because of the design technology, quality of materials and the way they drive. Electronic gizmos are down the list (although they come with their fair share). I like to drive while listening to my music, not play with the internet in my car. I've got tablets and smart phones if I want to explore Wikipedia or search for movie reviews.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-07-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After my complimentary T-mob subscription ended in August, I purchased a Truphone SIM. Worked great until just recently. Whenever trying to retrieve an online address that I sent to my Q5, I get a message in the MMI screen that I require an AudiConnect access code.

Visiting AudiConnect I see my old T-mob subscription as expired. Not sure I can enter the new Truphone SIM because when i try to add a subscription I get a message of an invalid SIM which makes sense since it's not a T-mob SIM.

I know the SIM is active, because it worked before, and I see the 3G connection bars, AND I see activity in my TruPhone account.

Any ideas from the users?

Last edited by fzmann; 10-10-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just came back from the Tmo store and added an additional "tablet" line to my plan. at 10 dollars for 5gb it makes no sense to me to go the truphone route, specially when I can tether while in the car.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow. They'll be changing my MMI module.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know if you have the TMobile or AT&T module?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All 2012 and 2013 C7s came with a modem that will only handle T-Mobile's original 3G frequencies (an AT&T sim will work but only at the much slower 2G speed). MY2014 and 2015 had the original T-Mobile 3G frequency as well as the new 3G T-Mobile frequency being rolled out in select areas which happens to be the same frequency as used by AT&T. If you have a 2012/2013, unless you live in one of the selected areas where T-Mobile is switching to the new 3G frequency, there is no upgraded modem available as yet, therefore you are stuck with T-Mobile 3G for now.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just activated service with AT&T after module changed, this is a 2013 Q5 and I live in the Bay Area, 3G is up. Nexflix took about 2 mins to load the video but once it is up video playing smoothly no buffering. YouTube come on pretty quickly and again no buffering. Was able to add it as an iPad to my mobile share plan which I only pay $10/month.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect