Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF just went to thedealership to gt the module change, then inserted the sim card I got at Tmo and it is not registering. Then I called Audi and they said that the sim card needs to be an audi connect specific and I need to get one from the dealer. Can someone confirm how it was working before and suddenly after the update its not?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rault18
WTF just went to thedealership to gt the module change, then inserted the sim card I got at Tmo and it is not registering. Then I called Audi and they said that the sim card needs to be an audi connect specific and I need to get one from the dealer. Can someone confirm how it was working before and suddenly after the update its not?
Wht they told you is nonsense. Any 3G T-Mobile sim (or AT&T 3G sim card with the modem uodate) that is properly activated with the carrier will work. Don't call Audi, call T-Mobile - they are the ones that can re-activate your sim. What may be happening is the card became disassociated with the modem after the update. I use a US Mobile sim (which uses the T-Mobile network) and have no issues.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Wht they told you is nonsense. Any 3G T-Mobile sim (or AT&T 3G sim card with the modem uodate) that is properly activated with the carrier will work. Don't call Audi, call T-Mobile - they are the ones that can re-activate your sim. What may be happening is the card became disassociated with the modem after the update. I use a US Mobile sim (which uses the T-Mobile network) and have no issues.
Yeah tmo tried to help me over the phone and sent me to
A store to replace the sim. Let's see how it goes
Old 10-28-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you have a prepaid subscription with T-Mobile left to use up? If not, try US Mobile. Quite a bit less than what T-Mobile charges.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah tmo tried to help me over the phone and sent me to
A store to replace the sim. Let's see how it goes
After the module changed your IMEI changed too that is why you get "not register" message. You need to provide them the new IMEI then they can activate it even with the old sim card,
Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thanhkng
After the module changed your IMEI changed too that is why you get "not register" message. You need to provide them the new IMEI then they can activate it even with the old sim card,
Yep. Originally did that in the morning. Called and gave them the new I mei number. Gave it a few hours for it to cycle but nada. Then I tried to troubleshoot over the phone and nada. Went to the tmo store, got a new sim but nada. Gonna call them with the new SIM card and maybe they can reset it again. I'm pissed this update ruined my connection.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's strange for your case. My Audi connect service came back on after the module changed without having reactivate. Installed At&t sim today and it works on 3G too.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's strange for your case. My Audi connect service came back on after the module changed without having reactivate. Installed At&t sim today and it works on 3G too.
Yeah super rare! Are you using an audi connect provided SIM? or you just stopped at your local ATnT store and got one up? I'm starting to think it has something to do with the dealership.....
Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah super rare! Are you using an audi connect provided SIM? or you just stopped at your local ATnT store and got one up? I'm starting to think it has something to do with the dealership.....
Was using tmobile service and a month ago service dropped to 2G. Didn't know about the module upgrade I called Audi connect and got a new sim activate service with them still got 2G called them again and was told to bring my car to dealer to have module check out. Brought the car to the dealer and the advisor told me right away that the module need to be replaced. After I got the car back Audi connect service came back on with 3G. Stopped by At&t store today got a sim and it activated as an "iPad" to my mobile share data for $10/month.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was using tmobile service and a month ago service dropped to 2G. Didn't know about the module upgrade I called Audi connect and got a new sim activate service with them still got 2G called them again and was told to bring my car to dealer to have module check out. Brought the car to the dealer and the advisor told me right away that the module need to be replaced. After I got the car back Audi connect service came back on with 3G. Stopped by At&t store today got a sim and it activated as an "iPad" to my mobile share data for $10/month.
mmmmmm. Maybe I need an Audicare sim in order to "unlock" or read the system...Gonna stop by my dealership tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect