Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lepa71
My MMI right now is showing 2g. Would I get 3g with USMobile on T-Mobile module? Are you grandfathered in for your plan 1 gb for $4.70. Am I missing something?
Possibly your car is a candidate for the 3G modem board upgrade? Mine (2013 Q7) shows 3G for T-Mobile (US Mobile) and AT&T (Redpocket) SIMs after the upgrade...

I will be trying a FreedomPop SIM when it gets here. I believe they use Sprint's network, so I curious to see if it works. If so, that's 200MB free/month.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

T- Mobile and AT&T use the 3G GSM network, Sprint and Verizon use the 3G CDMA network. Your Q7 is only compatible with 3G GSM so 3G Sprint/FreedomPop will not work..

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-07-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:11 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Default Freedompop SIM works...

I would agree that the old devices, like a CDMA iPhone 4, might be on some different 3G data band, newer devices are setup different. For [Verizon] CDMA iPhones, 4S & 5S (probably all newer ones) use a SIM for LTE. I've never plugged in my VZW [Verizon] SIM, because I don't want to loose it in the slot, so I don't know if it works... probably not, as I assume that VZW ties the SIM to the IMEI # so you can't share it. However all the discussion about band plan, modulation type & service provider's policy is sort of OT...

The On Topic info is that the Freedompop SIM works! I get Audi Connect, Google services & can access my stored destinations. Signal in my garage seems better than T-Mobile, 3 bars of 3G. Ran a Speedtest & got 2.41Mb/650Kb. Interesting it thinks I'm in London. 8-0 That's only a problem if you want to stream Pandora, Slacker etc. through a device connected to your Audi WiFi. Although the Audi App might not care. I don't plan to use the WiFi hotspot feature after the 1st month, so I don't care, and 200MB/mo is all I need for the driving I do...

Looks like they are still offering the $0.99 SIM special : Phone & Internet Plans from $0/month - FreedomPop

John
2013 Q7 w/3G modem update

Last edited by jes; 10-08-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I can't see to get my freedompop to work. I put in my 99¢ SIM and the APN defaults to three.co.uk.

I change that to freedompop.froggmobile.com and nothing. As with my Truphone SIM I used a space for both User Name & Password and am left with this:

When I try to connect I get this error page. I even entered my account info with zero results.

But despite that error page, the data usage info page on the MMI shows me usage.

Freedompop claims to work on AT&T & T-Mobile GSM networks but just not in my Audi.
Anyone else get it to work?
Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

I changed the APN, but didn't touch the User name & Password. Works fine for me...
Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jes
Possibly your car is a candidate for the 3G modem board upgrade? Mine (2013 Q7) shows 3G for T-Mobile (US Mobile) and AT&T (Redpocket) SIMs after the upgrade...

I will be trying a FreedomPop SIM when it gets here. I believe they use Sprint's network, so I curious to see if it works. If so, that's 200MB free/month.
So, there we have it! Audi won't upgrade my 3G modem board until I buy Audi Care, and I won't need Audi Care if the 3G would work with something like US Mobile!

Have you had any luck with the Freedompop Sprint MVNO?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jsrisagar
So, there we have it! Audi won't upgrade my 3G modem board until I buy Audi Care, and I won't need Audi Care if the 3G would work with something like US Mobile!

Have you had any luck with the Freedompop Sprint MVNO?

Thanks!
I think you meant if you buy Audi Connect, not Audi Care (the prepaid scheduled maintenance agreement).
Simple solution: purchase one month of Audi Connect, have the modem updated, then don't renew and go for a third party provider.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just an update. Got my FP sim card. Putted it in than changed APN to one on the package. Checked "use roaming" and it works, but in 2g only. If roaming is unchecked then it would stop working. Sending the address from phone does not work as I can't register FP sim in the audi connect online profile, but I can look up POI and Google Earth maps. With friend referrals I have 700MB this month.

btw, watch out for over charges if you try to use full allowance 1gb trail amount of data as it is clearly states when you try to downgrade.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Finally figured out my FP issue. Turns out they sent me a phone/data SIM instead of just a data SIM. New card works great once you change the APN and leave the password alone even though it displays some characters. It would be extremely difficult to use up the free 200M in one month.
Be sure to downgrade your account to free plan and cancel the monthly premium charge.

Last edited by Dudealicious; 11-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Finally figured out my FP issue. Turns out they sent me a phone/data SIM instead of just a data SIM. New card works great once you change the APN and leave the password alone even though it displays some characters. It would be extremely difficult to use up the free 200M in one month.
Be sure to downgrade your account to free plan and cancel the monthly premium charge.
There are two things you need to cancel on their website. The data plan and the voice part. I'll get some screen shots today. The cancellation links are very tiny on each page, but if you do a search on the page you'll find them.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect