AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/cheap-sim-card-plan-audi-connect-2883993/)

snagitseven 05-29-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gary1227 (Post 24691051)
I just called the dealer and found that they had not activated the SIM card. So hopefully all will work once that it done and I will have connection at my house.

Uh yeah, that would do it. Sounds like somebody dropped the ball at your dealer. It should be part of the new car prep. BTW, you could have activated the card yourself by calling T-Mobile. They would have walked you through the simple connection settings once you provided the the IME number from your MMI.

A6forMoi 06-01-2015 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by hilld (Post 24690433)
I have consumed 4 cents of data, guess my prepaid will last quite a bit.

Looks like it's 9c/MB so you'd need to use ~166MB to hit $15, which I believe is the Tmo monthly.

I think one can add a device (at least a car like device) for $10/mo to an AT&T mobile share plan, but haven't sought out details. Obviously you're using your data package then, so hard to price out that.

siren001 06-01-2015 04:05 PM

When Switching from T-MOb to something else, i.e. AT&T (Better Coverage) does your MMI iPhone app still work or does it only work on t-mob?

Has anyone changed audi connect online to a different service provider?

rycelover 06-01-2015 04:18 PM

I don't use an MMI iphone app, but I'm pretty sure its carrier agnostic; the app doesn't care which network it's on, so long as you have a data connection.

As a prior poster said, just make sure you make or confirm changes to the APN in the MMI.

snagitseven 06-01-2015 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by A6forMoi (Post 24691993)
Looks like it's 9c/MB so you'd need to use ~166MB to hit $15, which I believe is the Tmo monthly.

T-Mobile's data plan is unlimited.

A6forMoi 06-02-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24692112)
T-Mobile's data plan is unlimited.

Right - I was trying to calculate a break-even point on data usage.

snagitseven 06-02-2015 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by A6forMoi (Post 24692187)
Right - I was trying to calculate a break-even point on data usage.

Got it. I missed your point.

rbradleysd 06-02-2015 08:49 AM

How much data does the Google Maps seem to use per month?

snagitseven 06-02-2015 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rbradleysd (Post 24692281)
How much data does the Google Maps seem to use per month?

It really depends on how far you travel while it's activated. The Google Earth overlay (it's not a map) will cache about a 20 mile radius from a given location. If you stay within this area, only the initial data will be downloaded. As you move outside that area, it will keep downloading to refresh the data. So, if you consistently keep moving from area to area outside the radius, the quantity of data can add up pretty quickly since Google Earth is Audi Connect's largest data hog, potentially alongside the in car wifi hotspot.

DanMontgomery 08-04-2015 04:42 AM

Guys/ Gals

Having issues...not really sure what I am doing wrong.

I have purchased my sim card...activated it.
Inserted the sim card in the car, did the following set up.

Just insert the Truphone sim card and follow directions to change the connection settings in the MMI:

APN: Truphone.com
Username: blank (might need a space if it won't accept a blank)
Password: blank

However, I am not able to connect to the internet...tells me that it can't connect try again later.

It does show me my signal (2G /3G) and gives me the bars at the bottom of my screen. Just wont let me connect.

I am missing something, just not sure what.

Will take pictures later today. Just thinking skip a step somewhere(at least hope so).

V/r
Dan