Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by otherbarry
Google Maps or Earth? I thought Earth only worked with the internal SIM/Audi Connect sub. Or is this perhaps a weird end around if you use the same cellular network as the built in, it'll magically let you do all these things?
the Google earth overlay works with any data connection in MKI. I believe the MKIIs have built in SIMs and require Audi connect Prime - or that’s how my B9 A5 SB is.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but I'm a bit confused here.

I got a Truphone SIM card and got it setup but I do not have an Audi connect subscription.

Is there anything I can do with the data connection through the sim with Audi connect?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

You can send maps to your car from Google and use the Audi phone app. that's pretty much it.
Only helpful thing having a SIM card in there for me is saying "Online Destinations, blah blah" and letting the car search for that blah blah destination.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
You can send maps to your car from Google and use the Audi phone app. that's pretty much it.
Only helpful thing having a SIM card in there for me is saying "Online Destinations, blah blah" and letting the car search for that blah blah destination.
i wasn’t even able to send maps to the car from google.
Maybe I did something wrong.

I followed the steps to setup the connection
APN: Truphone.com
Username: blank (actually used a space since it won't accept a blank)
Password: blank

But didn’t have any luck with the Truphone card sending data out or receiving any.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
I use this too. Sending destinations to the car via my Audi is easier if I remember to do it. Google Earth is nice for giggles, not super useful. You can also get weather and gas prices. These along with hotspot are much easier on a cell phone.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
I use this too. Sending destinations to the car via my Audi is easier if I remember to do it. Google Earth is nice for giggles, not super useful. You can also get weather and gas prices. These along with hotspot are much easier on a cell phone.
I’m unable to send destinations to the car which sounds like the only thing that would be more useful than a cell phone with an unlimited data plan.

I spoke with Truphone and they said the issue may be that the MMI in my car is only capable of 2G and AT&T has phased that out in the states. They said that 3G and up are the only available speeds.
Minor sure if this is 100% correct but it would explain why it isn’t working in my 2016 Q5.

Oh well, everything else about this car is perfect so I won’t get too hung up on a few features not working.

Thanks for for your help, everyone.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh A Katz
I’m unable to send destinations to the car which sounds like the only thing that would be more useful than a cell phone with an unlimited data plan.

I spoke with Truphone and they said the issue may be that the MMI in my car is only capable of 2G and AT&T has phased that out in the states. They said that 3G and up are the only available speeds.
Minor sure if this is 100% correct but it would explain why it isn’t working in my 2016 Q5.

Oh well, everything else about this car is perfect so I won’t get too hung up on a few features not working.

Thanks for for your help, everyone.
A 2016 MMI is 3G
Old 02-21-2022, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am new to the Audi world. Just got a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I see the option for the Audi Connect, and see a sim in there but do not know the carrier. So I have a few questions...

1) How can I determine if my vehicle is setup for specific carrier AT&T, TMobile, etc.. etc...
2) Is it worth it to have a plan that would offer unlimited data for hotspot usage?
3) I have been reading the forums but still unclear as to best sim card, best carrier, and plan to have any what I will really benefit with regards to getting sim card and plan?
4) How do I know if the vehicle needs a modem upgrade based on several prior posts this was mentioned...?
Old 02-21-2022, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by bmiglionico
I am new to the Audi world. Just got a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI. I see the option for the Audi Connect, and see a sim in there but do not know the carrier. So I have a few questions...

1) How can I determine if my vehicle is setup for specific carrier AT&T, TMobile, etc.. etc...
2) Is it worth it to have a plan that would offer unlimited data for hotspot usage?
3) I have been reading the forums but still unclear as to best sim card, best carrier, and plan to have any what I will really benefit with regards to getting sim card and plan?
4) How do I know if the vehicle needs a modem upgrade based on several prior posts this was mentioned...?
your car is 3G which is now no longer a thing. There is no modem upgrade offered
Old 02-21-2022, 01:29 PM
Mr.BadAzz.2U

Originally Posted by bmiglionico

First, welcome to the awesome driving experience of an Audi!

#1 When I got my 2012, A6 the carrier was AT&T and as another poster mentioned it only had 3G and was not upgradable.
#2 This is a moot point (see #3).
#3 I didn't want to pay what I thought was an outrageous cost for an AT&T subscription when my trial period expired. So, what I did was get a SIM subscription from USMobile with a low data rate for the amount I was using at about a third of the cost. The caveat now is that carriers are rolling out 5G and U5G, 3G will stop working this year.
#4 Again, you care not unable to upgrade.

Wish I could provide more insight and assistance. There may be a workaround out there. Best of luck in you search.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect