Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Sepang is indeed a bit bright IMO. Scuba/Estoril would work better, but neither are available for 2015 SQ5s.
It's all personal preference. But I agree with the OP and idale, the Sepang Blue is sharp, but seems too bright and maybe light in color. I guess it may be a more unique color. I might be biased since I have an Estoril Blue, but I liked how the Scuba and Estoril had a deeper blue. I wonder if they swapped Estoril with Sepang to be more different than the Scuba Blue. I'm not sure what color we would have gone with if we went with a 2015. I think if I were to pick, I normally like grays, and I think I like the deeper gray of Daytona. At the end of the day, all of the colors look great on this car, but my wife only wanted the Estoril Blue because it stood out a little more without going crazy.

Well it makes sense for the dealerships to order those colors because those colors sell much more easily. For all other shades other than white, black, silver, and grey, you either love it or hate it. At the end of the day, it's about supply and demand. They sell what most people want. I'm sure if the trend showed people loved pink cars, then dealerships would adjust and order more pink cars. But I'm sure based on the numbers, people simply want the more standard colors. On our factory tour in Ingolstadt, someone asked a similar question as to why most cars are white/black/silver. He gave us some numbers/percentages of how significant it was. Afterwards, the tour guide polled our group to see what colors they had chosen for their new Audi. Basically almost everyone had some shade of black/white/silver. He laughed and was like, well there's your answer. Not that it was scientific proof, but even on custom European Delivery orders most people went with the more generic colors.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
I consider the Monsoon Gray to be an "under the radar" color. The neutral gray's seem to get noticed less by the Five-O. I've had mine for four months and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I assure you that with a bright color, I would have at least one by now.
It's just that to me, the Monsoon is a bit "lifeless". I loved my Silverstone Passat, which had a little bit of a brown undertone to it (hid the dirt nicely, when filthy it just wasn't "sparkly" ). Obviously not everyone agrees or nobody would buy them, and that's fine. I'd never go for a flashy color, either, though, but of course some people like those, too. If Daytona wasn't S-Line-only then I may have gone that way instead since it's a nice grey (at least on the RS4 I've seen it on), but I'm not sure.

It's all very hand-wavy, just that gut feeling of "I like this" vs. "I don't like this"... I don't know what exactly it is that's missing, and I don't think it'd take much of whatever it is, it's just that as it is, Monsoon's missing "it". Scuba's a nice blue, though, so at least I had a fallback when my love of greys couldn't be fulfilled to my satisfaction.

Originally Posted by alatsacto
It's all personal preference. But I agree with the OP and idale, the Sepang Blue is sharp, but seems too bright and maybe light in color. I guess it may be a more unique color. I might be biased since I have an Estoril Blue, but I liked how the Scuba and Estoril had a deeper blue. I wonder if they swapped Estoril with Sepang to be more different than the Scuba Blue
Yeah, the Scuba/Estoril blue are nice, not too dark and not too light. From pictures they seem like fairly similar base tones, though presumably in person if nothing else the metallic vs. crystal effects would be different (never seen Estoril in person). It's certainly possible they decided Estoril was "too similar" and went with Sepang instead, but Estoril's seemed like a popular color to get in general, including for like the RS5 where Scuba is an option further down the line.

They added more browns, too (at least for the regular Q5), so who knows what the orders were like and what all people might've been trying to get Audi to offer. Maybe Estoril wasn't as popular as we might've thought, so they freed up the color slot for another option. Sepang is usually thought of as a "sportier" option (I guess because it's brighter?), so maybe that's part of it?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any thoughts on Moonlight Blue?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spark941
It's a very dark blue, but that was actually one of the colors we were considering. Under certain lighting, it looks basically black. It's a very subtle blue.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spark941
Originally Posted by alatsacto
It's a very dark blue, but that was actually one of the colors we were considering. Under certain lighting, it looks basically black. It's a very subtle blue.
That's what i went with, seemed to be a good low key color, almost like BMW's carbon black. I've only seen it in person on an Allroad so hopefully the SQ5 looks good in it. I was going to go lighter with the Black Optics package but now that they're putting chrome top door handles on with no way to remove them I decided to go dark and forgo the black optics.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ND40oz
That's what i went with, seemed to be a good low key color, almost like BMW's carbon black. I've only seen it in person on an Allroad so hopefully the SQ5 looks good in it. I was going to go lighter with the Black Optics package but now that they're putting chrome top door handles on with no way to remove them I decided to go dark and forgo the black optics.
When my dealer got their first TDI in for me to test drive as we were waiting on submitting an order, it was a Moonlight. Other than that and missing sport seats, it was pretty much exactly what I was planning on ordering. Had it had sport seats I would've been tempted to just settle for the Moonlight -- darker than I typically like, but it wasn't all that bad. Should work fine on your S.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have Phantom Black, but Mythos seems like a great color. So get that!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Monsoon Gray is sharp, when we saw the paint chip of it that was our 1st choice.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer says Phantom and Mythos are nearly indistinguishable unless they are immediately next to each other. If you love Phantom I'd get Mythos. I went Daytona.