Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Color

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color

Someone shoot me.

I wanted Phantom Black, not available in 2015 SQ5.

I liked Lava Grey - but then saw the brown tones in sunlight.

I liked Daytona - but doesn't look as crisp as black. In some pictures it just looks muddy to me, but people seem to love it.

I like white - with black rims, and dark tint - gf thinks it's a female real-estate agents car.

I could go Mythos - but really worry long term about marks/imperfections showing.

Sepang is to bright I think.

Monsoon has too much green tint.

Last truck was silver - and hated it.

What do I do?

I'm tired of staring at cars at the dealership, everything looks different in different light, thanks to the damn pearls and metallics.

Maybe I need a clear car, void of all color?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't find a 2014 panther black??
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bang! Why not do something different?
Get white, then, instead of blacking everything out, go with a splash of color.
Maybe go with some blue wheels, blue tint, blue stripes/accents.
Blue not your thing? Try red, green, purple, or whatever color floats your boat.
I think that would be unique and pretty cool too. Hey...you asked.

<--That doesn't look green!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot, don't like the purple tint on the Panther Blacks.

I'm putting together a best of Color thread. Stay tuned!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 50 Shades

My wife and I were in pretty heavy traffic one day last week and it became quite apparent that 90% of the cars on the road right now are either Black, White, or one of 50 shades of Grey. I know other colors are available if you order a car, but for some reason, dealerships seem to inventory cars without color. See for yourself next time you're out and about.Prove me wrong...please!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lava does have some brown to it, but it's only really visible under direct, strong sunlight. But it's the right color given the name. For me, it's a bit dark of a color and works better on smaller cars like the A3.

Monsoon just looks like a plain grey to me, which is one reason I didn't particularly consider it: nothing to make it stand out at all for me (and I love greys, so it's not like I was just all "oh grey, so boring").

Daytona is awesome in person, at least, pictures of anything get hard. The guy in the local Audi group that had a Daytona RS4 moved so I don't get to see it anymore.

Sepang is indeed a bit bright IMO. Scuba/Estoril would work better, but neither are available for 2015 SQ5s.

White Audis tend to "pop" IMO, but then personally I'd obsess over every speck of dirt. If your GF isn't a fan... well, it's your car, isn't it? My wife wasn't particularly keen on my getting the Chestnut interior, but it's my car and I'm the one in it all the time. And I'm sure now that she's seen it she's probably more fine with it.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
My wife and I were in pretty heavy traffic one day last week and it became quite apparent that 90% of the cars on the road right now are either Black, White, or one of 50 shades of Grey. I know other colors are available if you order a car, but for some reason, dealerships seem to inventory cars without color. See for yourself next time you're out and about.Prove me wrong...please!
The sales rep we bought our Q5 from was also in charge of ordering inventory for the dealership. He said he primarily orders blacks and greys for their lot since those are the big sellers and don't sit for too long. Makes sense but kind of dull though.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Munchpup
I'm putting together a best of Color thread. Stay tuned!
It's been done and done again. Regular Q's, S-Lines, SQ's, they've all been done on this forum and the others.

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
It appears to be true. Maybe why the basic black and white are no additional cost. Frankly, I'm surprised Audi doesn't charge for them too.

Originally Posted by idale
Monsoon just looks like a plain grey to me, which is one reason I didn't particularly consider it: nothing to make it stand out at all for me (and I love greys, so it's not like I was just all "oh grey, so boring").
I consider the Monsoon Gray to be an "under the radar" color. The neutral gray's seem to get noticed less by the Five-O. I've had mine for four months and haven't gotten a ticket yet. I assure you that with a bright color, I would have at least one by now.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if you like blue or not, but have you looked at a Scuba Blue? If I had a choice on color I would have gotten this (I got my car as an accident write-off from the insurance company and rebuilt it myself, so I have lousy grey...lol)
Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like the scuba, just not a standard color on the SQ5

Quick Reply: Color