Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Concern about buying an Audi Q5, 2013 63km 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concern about buying an Audi Q5, 2013 63km 2.0T

Saw the car and loved it. Q5 and Audi owners, is there anything i should know about before buying? i've heard audi engines are not good and breaks require changing on this model?

thoughts on this car? is it reliable? 63k km how much would you pay?
dealer is charging 31k CAD.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well indecretious, I'll give you my 2cents.

Just make sure you have a little left on your wallet after signing the paper work.. We just bought a MY 13, Saturday 4/15, Q5 Prem+, one owner right at 99k miles.
At around 300 miles that we've driven it has already burned 1/8th or so of oil...

I guess they never truly fixed it after all.

Just some advice
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

this is exactly what i'm afraid off. we were thinking of buying it from a dealer. but i dont know if a q5 is a good car. to be honest, i know nothing about cars so any other POV's are apprecaited
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

The only typical issue is the "oil consumption" one. Other than that it's a great vehicle.Get proof that the issue has been addressed or doesn't exist.If you're buying from an Audi dealer insist that this potential problem is covered.If not walk away.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audis Q5s are excellent cars. Audis offer spirited performance, excellent handling and braking, and a refined cabin with excellent ergonomics, comfort control, and audio sound system. Q5s are affordable luxury cars.

Are Audi's perfect? Probably not but no car is without minor issues. Minor oil consumption is an annoyance, not a reason not to buy a car. All engines consume some oil.

Check the oil level on a regular basis and learn how often you'll need to add half a quart of oil. Carry a quart of the oil prescribed by Audi for your car or keep a quart on a shelf in your garage. Add it when needed. It's not a big deal.

If you always accelerate hard and brake hard and late, yes, you'll have to replace brake pads and perhaps even rotors on a regular basis. Brakes are wear items. Replacing brakes is required on all cars and trucks. If you drive conservatively and begin slowing early when you know you'll have to stop for a traffic light and brake gently, brake pads will provide long service. Driving style will determin frequency.

Given the choice between owning and driving a bland but extremely reliable transportation device like a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or Hyundai I'll choose a great driver like an Audi everytime.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HBarlow
Audis Q5s are excellent cars. Audis offer spirited performance, excellent handling and braking, and a refined cabin with excellent ergonomics, comfort control, and audio sound system. Q5s are affordable luxury cars.

Are Audi's perfect? Probably not but no car is without minor issues. Minor oil consumption is an annoyance, not a reason not to buy a car. All engines consume some oil.

Check the oil level on a regular basis and learn how often you'll need to add half a quart of oil. Carry a quart of the oil prescribed by Audi for your car or keep a quart on a shelf in your garage. Add it when needed. It's not a big deal.

If you always accelerate hard and brake hard and late, yes, you'll have to replace brake pads and perhaps even rotors on a regular basis. Brakes are wear items. Replacing brakes is required on all cars and trucks. If you drive conservatively and begin slowing early when you know you'll have to stop for a traffic light and brake gently, brake pads will provide long service. Driving style will determin frequency.

Given the choice between owning and driving a bland but extremely reliable transportation device like a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, or Hyundai I'll choose a great driver like an Audi everytime.
I'm not sure I'd agree that excessive oil consumption isn't a big deal. When your wife is driving out of town with the baby and has to pull over because the stupid car has eaten yet another quart of oil it starts to become a big deal.
Ask yourself if you'd like to carry a funnel, rubber gloves and a jug of oil everywhere you go in your "luxury" car?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not all cars burn oil under normal operation.

My 2011 Subaru Legacy burns no measurable amount between oil changes 10000 kms
My 2014 BMW 330 burns about a litre between oil changes 25000 kms
My 2013 Q5 3.0t burns no measurable amount between oil changes 15000 kms

I wouldn't want to own a car that burns more than 1 litre per oil change.

Where in Canada are you? There is a clean Q5 Hybrid spS-Line for sale in near Laval for under $30k
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the feedback I'm in Toronto so Laval is a little too far.
The breaks were recently changed by the dealer and there is a WO for that so new breaks. I agree with HBarlow about breaking and frequency.

Yes I have a wife and baby and need something reliable. I'm not too fussed about premium gas or anything else. I understand that owning a car comes with maintenance cost. I just want to try and avoid any known pitfalls.

Apologies if i sound stupid but i've never owned an audi or any luxury car before for that matter so i'm trying to do my homework before i get into something
Old 04-20-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by indecretious
Saw the car and loved it. Q5 and Audi owners, is there anything i should know about before buying? i've heard audi engines are not good and breaks require changing on this model?

thoughts on this car? is it reliable? 63k km how much would you pay?
dealer is charging 31k CAD.
I paid 34k CAD(sticker price) for my 2016 Q5 2.0T with 20,000km on it. it also burns no measurable amount of oil.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
I paid 34k CAD(sticker price) for my 2016 Q5 2.0T with 20,000km on it. it also burns no measurable amount of oil.
i just picked up a 2013 Audi Q5 62K from
an Audi dealer had them add Audi Certifed to the car. 2 years warranty or 160K for $25K. Now mine is the comfort line. But we decided we rather have warranty than some
features.

Quick Reply: Concern about buying an Audi Q5, 2013 63km 2.0T