Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Connecting my iPod or Android phone for playing music

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting my iPod or Android phone for playing music

Is the only location to connect a device inside the glove box? Is it possible to locate the device closer to the driver seat? I know there are iPod controls on the stereo, though I like to stream music from Pandora, Slacker, etc. on my Android phone, and I'm guessing there is no way to access the controls from the stereo, so I would have to do it directly on the phone and if it is located in the glovebox....

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got an iPod/Phone extension cable, and routed it from the glovebox towards the middle-console. Leasing my Q so I didnt do any modifications or making holes, to the cable just tucks underneath the mid-console sidepanel and comes out halfway at passenger-side (still need to fix it there with small piece of guarilla-tape or so).
Pandora does not work through the cable, since it will only play songs that are on the iPhone. You may get 5 seconds of Pandora, and then it will always automatically switch to songs on the phone.
if anyone has a 'fix' for that, I'd like to know too.
other than that, it works great. Phone close at hand, but control songs through the MMI, calls over Bluetooth, and phone charges too.
Android, not sure about the controls...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Only way to play net radio/streaming music or play music through an Android phone is the Aux-in cable that replaces the ipod cable on the AMI. I went that route and have a iphone charger plugged in inside the center armrest to provide juice.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. What is the AMI and where is it located?

2. How easy is it to replace the cable on the AMI?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vwtoys
Only way to play net radio/streaming music or play music through an Android phone is the Aux-in cable that replaces the ipod cable on the AMI. I went that route and have a iphone charger plugged in inside the center armrest to provide juice.
I'm having a similar issue. Can you confirm that you were able to purchase a separate cable that plugged into your glovebox and android phone via a aux-in? If so, what does the source read on the MMI 3G system when your phone is hooked? I have a '11 A4 with nav and can only seem to get the iPod cable to work.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have replaced the Ipod cable with the AUX cable. Got it from my Audi dealer.
I also have an Android phone, when you hookup your phone you will need to select the "Media" on your MMI and on the screen will display " External audio source is active", but you will not be able to control you music files from the MMI.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by garlandpr
I have replaced the Ipod cable with the AUX cable. Got it from my Audi dealer.
I also have an Android phone, when you hookup your phone you will need to select the "Media" on your MMI and on the screen will display " External audio source is active", but you will not be able to control you music files from the MMI.
Is there any benefit to getting the audi cable that is a mini USB? Would that allow you to control the device?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default stream music

Why not try the viseeO tune2air. It is compatible with android for streaming music via bluetooth so no need to plug your phone every time and it automatically reconnects. I have one in my car and it works great!