Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering an ECU tune- thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Considering an ECU tune- thoughts?

I'm strongly considering doing an ECU upgrade for my '14 3.0 TDI. I'm at 53k miles, out of warranty, and after the crash and buying the new car it's sort of become my "beater" as bad as that sounds! I'm very interested in the APR chip- reasonably priced and there are two installers very close to me. My only concerns are the added strain on the transmission and potential complications with the AdBlue system. Being a diesel, I am confident the engine itself won't have trouble, but it's the other parts that I'm concerned about. Has anyone done this upgrade? Any advice or input is appreciated! (I did skim the forum, forgive me if I missed anything!)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered about the blue-spark upgrade. It is distal to the ECU and seems to be a simple plug and play with some adjustability. Sold by a company in UK...
Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhumph88
I'm strongly considering doing an ECU upgrade for my '14 3.0 TDI. I'm at 53k miles, out of warranty, and after the crash and buying the new car it's sort of become my "beater" as bad as that sounds! I'm very interested in the APR chip- reasonably priced and there are two installers very close to me. My only concerns are the added strain on the transmission and potential complications with the AdBlue system. Being a diesel, I am confident the engine itself won't have trouble, but it's the other parts that I'm concerned about. Has anyone done this upgrade? Any advice or input is appreciated! (I did skim the forum, forgive me if I missed anything!)

These vehicles use ZF 8 speed transmissions. I have a suspicion that the 2.0, 3.0 supercharged , and 3.0 diesel turbo all use the same general transmission but use slightly different components for the needed torque load. This is why ZF has a 8HP45, 8HP50, 8HP55. It appears they number at the end determines how much torque the transmission can handle. I'm curious if your able to determine what the model number of the transmission is in the 3.0 turbo diesel. Anyways, if you stay under the rated torque you would be ok.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Malone Stage 2 with or without exhaust modifications is the way to go. I'm pleased with it.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put a Chipwerke Pro in mine. Had it there about 2 months now. Been real happy with it. Took me a bit to get the setting right but very happy with it.

I think it is a bit cheaper than an ECU tune. Plus, it is removable and untraceable.

Took me about 10 minutes to install it (5 minutes to figure out where I wanted to mount it).

Been getting around 29 -31 mpg, and a real noticeable difference in power.

V/r
Dan
Old 09-03-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanMontgomery
I put a Chipwerke Pro in mine. Had it there about 2 months now. Been real happy with it. Took me a bit to get the setting right but very happy with it.

I think it is a bit cheaper than an ECU tune. Plus, it is removable and untraceable.

Took me about 10 minutes to install it (5 minutes to figure out where I wanted to mount it).

V/r
Dan
Are you 100% certain that Audi can't trace that it was installed? I would like to try it in my leased TDI.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V/r
Dan

What settings are you using?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Paradigm,

I haven't tested it yet....Chipwerke clams it is untraceable. It just plugs into the fuel rail, so I can see how it would be. My 25K service is coming up soon. Well let you know.

Goas123,

I ended up at the 2 F setting. For the newer clean diesels, you have to order a Q7 module. It comes with it set at 5 F. It kept giving me a check engine light. The Chipwerke technical support rep told me to change it to 1 F, I did. Then start experimenting with the setting. After about a month, found that 2 F seems to work the best, without throwing any codes.

Plan on doing a "HOW TO" / Advice / Review of the product (with a lot of pictures) and what I experience at each of the setting....soon as I finish remodeling my bathroom.

V/r
Dan
Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Paradigm,

I haven't tested it yet....Chipwerke clams it is untraceable. It just plugs into the fuel rail, so I can see how it would be. My 25K service is coming up soon. Well let you know.

Goas123,

I ended up at the 2 F setting. For the newer clean diesels, you have to order a Q7 module. It comes with it set at 5 F. It kept giving me a check engine light. The Chipwerke technical support rep told me to change it to 1 F, I did. Then start experimenting with the setting. After about a month, found that 2 F seems to work the best, without throwing any codes.

Plan on doing a "HOW TO" / Advice / Review of the product (with a lot of pictures) and what I experience at each of the setting....soon as I finish remodeling my bathroom.

V/r
Dan
Please let me know as I really want to try it.