Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
Hi,
we have 2010 Q5 3.2L NA + 6-speed and 2012 RX350.
In 6 years only one problem w/ RX-defective wire/connection to the horns.
Audi: defective water pump, defective DRL modules, leaky sunroof, defective starter and couple of other issues-those were fixed under warranty; defective door lock and something else (can't remember now) happened after the warranty expired.
If it is a grocery- getter just keep your RXh.

my 2p

Thanks for that input. It is normally just a GG, but I do some minor in town driving on weekends with it, and we also use it on our long weekend trips a couple times a year, and those always involve me doing 100% of the driving for anywhere from 3-8 hour long distances and then all the "in town" driving wherever we end up.

At this point, the repairs on our RXh seem to have been done well and are acceptable. The only outstanding issue is whether or not the driving visibility for my wife is improved with the Q5. We are beginning to get some warmer weather, s I am planning on doing some test driving in the upcoming week or so to see how this either does or does not give us an option to make the jump.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice thread, thanks for all the great info. I was torn between the RX and Q5 but decided on the Q5. This thread gives me a little trepidation now. Great, lol.

BTW, what year did they put the big NAV/tablet in? Someone upthread said they can't stand it and I can't either.

Also, I started a thread about trying to figure out what year to go with (2010 -2013) and what the main differences and issues are. Could use some help in there. Or do I have to be a linebacker from Alabama for that?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

2018 has the tablet.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ginalyn
Nice thread, thanks for all the great info. I was torn between the RX and Q5 but decided on the Q5. This thread gives me a little trepidation now. Great, lol.

BTW, what year did they put the big NAV/tablet in? Someone upthread said they can't stand it and I can't either.

Also, I started a thread about trying to figure out what year to go with (2010 -2013) and what the main differences and issues are. Could use some help in there. Or do I have to be a linebacker from Alabama for that?

Linebacker status is not required, Gina.

In the reading and research I've done thus far, there were some changes made in the 2013 year models which resolved some issues in the older models (I cannot recall the specifics). Consequently, I'm not willing to consider anything older than 2013. I'm REALLY interested in the 2014/15 TDI option, but want more time to pass and more consumer feedback with the "fix" before I bite that bullet. Since our RXh is doing as well as it is, I'll probably wait until this coming fall before I take any further steps towards a replacement. We just received the "diminished value" settlement check from the other guy's insurance company, and have just set it aside for the time being to go towards the "new" vehicle.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Linebacker status is not required, Gina.

In the reading and research I've done thus far, there were some changes made in the 2013 year models which resolved some issues in the older models (I cannot recall the specifics). Consequently, I'm not willing to consider anything older than 2013. I'm REALLY interested in the 2014/15 TDI option, but want more time to pass and more consumer feedback with the "fix" before I bite that bullet. Since our RXh is doing as well as it is, I'll probably wait until this coming fall before I take any further steps towards a replacement. We just received the "diminished value" settlement check from the other guy's insurance company, and have just set it aside for the time being to go towards the "new" vehicle.
Not to tell you what to do, but market forces make this a superior time to find a TDI, 2014 or 2015. A bunch of folks waited to get theirs fixed for the settlement money, and now are ready for their 3 year new car trade. I think that is exactly what *not* to do, but that is their habit. There are a bunch of used Q5 TDI’s out there starting in the mid $20’sK, all the way up to this knockout ‘16 with all the bells and whistles, at the top of the range.

Used 2016 Audi Q5 For Sale | Atlanta GA

Have you test driven a fixed model? Give one a try and see what you think about the engine performance.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I understand what you're saying, Mythdoc, but my budget is what will force me to wait until to fall to consider a TDI... the prices still have to drop a bit to fall within my pocketbook.

I've not yet test driven ANY Q5's yet. I tend to not tempt myself by refusing to drive an alternative until I'm ready to spend the money, and I'm not there yet.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

F250 patience will serve you well.Have you tried a Tdi ? Definitely worthwhile holding out until the right moment arrives.Get a good one for the right $ and you can keep it for a very long time .