Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Convenience Key Locking Problem

Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience Key Locking Problem

Has anyone else had a problem with the convenience key locking system on the Q5? Thursday night I took my 2010 Q5 into the car wash to rinse off the winter road salt and ever since, the locking and unlocking sensors in the door handles have stopped working. I don't know if this is a result of something happening at the car wash or if the timing of that was just a coincidence. It was just the power sprayer after all, and I've used it many times before.

I've tried different settings on central locking in the MMI, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else seen this problem before and have any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

If your key is in your pocket when you use the power spray, it causes the convenience lock to stop working (probably overwhelms the system).
It happened to me before and they had to replace all 4 door sensors. Since then I have been careful to leave my key inside the car when power washing.
Unfortunately last week I was short on time and I did a quick rinse and forgot the key in my pocket again - now my front door convenience entry is once again kaput!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks! I guess I will have to take it in to get those sensors replaced as we use that feature all the time.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrV
If your key is in your pocket when you use the power spray, it causes the convenience lock to stop working (probably overwhelms the system).
It happened to me before and they had to replace all 4 door sensors. Since then I have been careful to leave my key inside the car when power washing.
Unfortunately last week I was short on time and I did a quick rinse and forgot the key in my pocket again - now my front door convenience entry is once again kaput!
wow, I do that all the time and have had no problems so far. I do notice the lights flashing wildly as the warm water hits the sensors, but thats all. Being a proximity locate device, Im not sure why the difference would be as either in your pocket or in the car is the same proximity. However just to be safe I will leave mine in the car from now on too.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is the case then it is outrageous! I'm actually very dubious of this.

I have washed my car many many times - every time is with a pressure washer and with my Convenience Key in my pocket. I've never had a problem. But that doesn't mean it's not true!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have noticed that problem too. I figured constant locking/unlocking couldn't be good for the system - so now I leave car running during, just like it would be in regular car wash.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I keep loosing it also. Mine just went when I was on a trip last fall. Walked out into the parking lot and grabbed the handle and nothing happened. All 4 door handles, had to use the key fob to get in. Now it will work every once in a while. Dealership is far away so I'm just waiting at this point to get it fixed.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
I keep loosing it also. Mine just went when I was on a trip last fall. Walked out into the parking lot and grabbed the handle and nothing happened. All 4 door handles, had to use the key fob to get in. Now it will work every once in a while. Dealership is far away so I'm just waiting at this point to get it fixed.
try replacing your fob batt.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I thought of that so I tried my spare key fob and the same thing.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Somewhat similar....

I have been having this issue off an on for a couple of months now where the handles just stop working... randomly. And then start working again... randomly. I can't think of anything that would trigger it. However, it was raining heavily and frequently while I was having this issue.

It hasn't rained in almost 2 weeks and I'm still having the issues, so I can't really say that it had anything to do with the rain. I honestly can't rationalize why keeping your key fob in the car while you use the sprayer would have anything to do with sensors in the handles. I can see that moisture may be getting into the sensors.

I called the dealer and they estimate that it could be upwards of $500 and it could be any one of the sensors that are tripping the remaining sensors. This would make sense, like christmas lights or something. But, $500 I can't rationalize.

Anyone tried to fix this on their own?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convenience Key Locking Problem