Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake

Any one has the the same experience? Okay, here it comes.

I have two different types/situations where the brakes make a type of creaking noise.

One is when I am at a traffic light and 'play' with the brake. You know, when you let the brake pedal go just a bit. Almost sounds like the Titanic is sinking. A creaking noise like you hear from wood ;-)

The second one is a bit different. It happens when you are driving and you apply the brake. At a lower speed 'around' 15KM/h (10 miles) you can hear a softer/much less noisier creaking... almost a 'tack, tack, tack' noise (sorry for the tack, tack, tack but I do not know how I can explain it). I never heard this before on all the Audis I drove before (including a new Audi 2010 just recently).

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

OTHER THAN THAT: Q5 ROCKS!!!

Last edited by flogsta; 09-10-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. I have the noticeable "creaking" noise in the same situation. It seems like the brake pedal has to much play before the brakes are actaully engaged. Maybe someone with some experience could explain the cause, but I intend to make that a priority fix on my visit to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Vadavoss (06-29-2021)
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here...creaking noise when applying brakes at stop. I believe THIS to be a significant contributing factor to the excessive brake dust.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Normal, you're refering to the groan from the pads. Just the sound the material the pads are made from makes when slowly rubbed against the rotors. Same principle as nails on a chalkboard. Its normal. I drive a stick so I never hear it unless I'm in a car at work.
And no it has nothing to do with the amount of dust. That's just the pad material.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Normal, you're refering to the groan from the pads. Just the sound the material the pads are made from makes when slowly rubbed against the rotors. Same principle as nails on a chalkboard. Its normal. I drive a stick so I never hear it unless I'm in a car at work.
And no it has nothing to do with the amount of dust. That's just the pad material.
Thanks for your input which I value. I had two Audi's in Germany both with Stick. NONE of them made these noises. Hit me totally unexpected. I drove recently a new M-Class and new C-Class, none of them made these noises. Normal then for Audi only?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I found this Audi TSB on moaning brakes for the A6.

Brakes make moaning or "muh" noise when accelerating from stop or turning at slow speeds (2016681/6)
Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect, I completely disagree. This is our fifth Audi and none of them have ever had this problem on a continuing basis, nor has any other car we've owned.

The only time I have had similar groaning like this is after washing the car and the next morning the rotors have a bit of rust and seem sticky for a few minutes.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoinAudiMyMind
Same here...creaking noise when applying brakes at stop. I believe THIS to be a significant contributing factor to the excessive brake dust.
Yep. I have the same creaking sound when coming to a light, and a lot of dust on the wheel spokes. It does seem something abnormal is going on there.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't notice any but I do notice some mechanical noises when I use the parking brake.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some brake noise at first, but it has since gone away after only ~800 miles of driving. I figure the pads had to be bedded into the rotors to make them silent. How many miles do you all have whose brakes are making noise? And I definitely would not put any kind of lubricant on your brakes, kinda defeats the purpose.

Quick Reply: Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake