Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Gonna try to find my bluetooth and do this!
Cool
If your signature is current, all 3 of your cars are compatible. The BMW stuff is still under development, but we'll have a beta version that includes that functionality within a couple of weeks. And if you're willing to try it out, please sign up here: Beta-testing period is over | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization (even though we don't currently have a beta)
Old 11-02-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
The lap timer setting will be added in the next version.
When do you expect to release this version?
Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
The only hardware you need (other than an Android phone or tablet) is a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth OBD adapter.
You list 3 devices on your website. The first one (BAFX) is twice the price of the other ones. Is there any added benefit of getting this more expensive one, or do they all work the same?
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
When do you expect to release this version?
I can't say yet - we just released the current version on Monday and we're starting work on the next one (which will include BMW customizations and more VAG stuff), and in parallel working on the iOS version. I'm guessing a couple of months, but don't hold me to that. Also, there will be a beta version available with part of the features much sooner, probably within 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
You list 3 devices on your website. The first one (BAFX) is twice the price of the other ones. Is there any added benefit of getting this more expensive one, or do they all work the same?
They all work the same, it's just a matter of finding one that works at all. Definitely check out reviews for specific sellers because two devices that look the same may be made by different manufacturers and one of them may work fine, while the other doesn't at all. Unfortunately, we don't make or sell these devices, so I can't give you any specific info.

Devices to avoid:
- any device that claims to be version 2.1 of ELM327: those are usually fake and don't work
- OBDLink devices: those are great-quality devices, but unfortunately don't support version 1.4 of ELM327, which is required for Carista.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the most popular customizations seems to be missing. Can you not activate gear numbers to display when in "D" and "S" ?

Also curious if the App will work with a Kindle Fire ?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A couple more questions. I'm not too familiar with Bluetooth (never use it). Does the app turn the tablet into a Bluetooth receiver or would you need some other hardware or software to communicate with the OBD2 dongle ?

I noticed that there are wired (USB) OBD2 dongles using V1.4 and V1.5 of ELM327. Would these dongles potentially work or does it need to be Bluetooth ?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make it available on iPhone and I'm in!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stash64
One of the most popular customizations seems to be missing. Can you not activate gear numbers to display when in "D" and "S" ?

Also curious if the App will work with a Kindle Fire ?
Originally Posted by stash64
A couple more questions. I'm not too familiar with Bluetooth (never use it). Does the app turn the tablet into a Bluetooth receiver or would you need some other hardware or software to communicate with the OBD2 dongle ?

I noticed that there are wired (USB) OBD2 dongles using V1.4 and V1.5 of ELM327. Would these dongles potentially work or does it need to be Bluetooth ?
About the gear display: we'll try to add that in the next version (we've had it on our list).

About Bluetooth: the app uses the Bluetooth capabilities of your Android phone or tablet to connect to the ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and through that, communicate with the car. There's no additional adapter necessary. We don't support a USB connection (or WiFi), so yes, it needs to be a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter, version 1.4 or newer (stay away from those that claim to be v2.1 because they're almost always fake).

About Kindle Fire: we're planning to add support for Amazon Payments and when we do, you'll be able to use Carista on any Kindle Fire / Fire Phone / BlackBerry 10 device that has Bluetooth. The app already works on all of those, it's just that the payment part doesn't - our payments currently go through Google Play, and Amazon devices don't have that.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Transfer
Make it available on iPhone and I'm in!
Coming soon!
You can sign up here to be notified: Carista for iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod touch) | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Quick Reply: Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!