Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have downloaded the Carista app ( for a galaxy nexus ( 2012) running 4.3) and bought the mini ELM adapter from Amazon.ca which claims to be 1.5. As I have VCDS, if it doesn't work I am not out much. I will report to the forum after I receive the adapter and have a day or two to try it out.

The question is. How much is the full cost of Carista to get all the functions? That is the
'advanced manufacturer-specific diagnostics' which are specified on the web site as
' paid feature, available on a selection of 2005 and newer models from Audi, Lexus, Scion, Seat, Skoda, Toyota and Volkswagen.'
Old 11-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paid functionality currently costs $19.99 (USD) as a one-time payment and unlocks unlimited customizations and advanced diagnostics.

Those devices that claim to be v1.5 are usually fine, even though they don't use real ELM327 chips (but then again, none of them really do). They usually do support the v1.4 commands that Carista needs, so it's fine. There's no real v1.5 made by ELM Electronics.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
About Kindle Fire: we're planning to add support for Amazon Payments and when we do, you'll be able to use Carista on any Kindle Fire / Fire Phone / BlackBerry 10 device that has Bluetooth. The app already works on all of those, it's just that the payment part doesn't - our payments currently go through Google Play, and Amazon devices don't have that.
Thanks for the info. I downloaded your app from Amazon but than realized it was version 1.1. So I tried for an hour or so to figure out how to download the current version from GooglePlay but (as you mention) there does not appear to be any provision for GooglePlay on a Kindle. I bet Amazon wants to keep it that way. Oddly, even the version 1.1 on Amazon is not showing up on my Kindle.

Please let us know when the latest version will be available on Amazon. I will definitely give it a try.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stash64
Thanks for the info. I downloaded your app from Amazon but than realized it was version 1.1. So I tried for an hour or so to figure out how to download the current version from GooglePlay but (as you mention) there does not appear to be any provision for GooglePlay on a Kindle. I bet Amazon wants to keep it that way. Oddly, even the version 1.1 on Amazon is not showing up on my Kindle.

Please let us know when the latest version will be available on Amazon. I will definitely give it a try.
EDIT: Sounds like your Kindle does have Bluetooth. When we have a version for the Amazon App Store, I'll update this thread... but I can't promise a specific timeline.

Last edited by Carista; 11-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

EDIT: Sounds like your Kindle does have Bluetooth. When we have a version for the Amazon App Store, I'll update this thread... but I can't promise a specific timeline.
Hi Carista,
I have a 2015 SQ5 and a 2008 audi TT...
Will I be able to customize both of my car with this app ?

also Will I need to buy 2 bluetooth adapter or only one that I can switch between my 2 Audi ?

thanks you.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jay337
Hi Carista,
I have a 2015 SQ5 and a 2008 audi TT...
Will I be able to customize both of my car with this app ?

also Will I need to buy 2 bluetooth adapter or only one that I can switch between my 2 Audi ?

thanks you.
Yes, I believe both of your vehicles will be compatible. I'm pretty sure the 2008 TT uses the CAN protocol (which is what we require for compatibility), so yes. You can see our full list of compatible vehicles here: Supported Vehicles | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

No, you don't need 2 Bluetooth adapters - you'll be able to use the same adapter with both cars. And as of now, we don't charge anything extra in the app for multiple cars.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I believe both of your vehicles will be compatible. I'm pretty sure the 2008 TT uses the CAN protocol (which is what we require for compatibility), so yes. You can see our full list of compatible vehicles here: Supported Vehicles | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

No, you don't need 2 Bluetooth adapters - you'll be able to use the same adapter with both cars. And as of now, we don't charge anything extra in the app for multiple cars.
that's awesome
thanks for the fast answers

Oh ! and btw can you tell me (tell us) what is the difference between your first 3 obd2 adaptors on your web site list ? theres one at 15$ one at 60$ and one at 9$ ?

Last edited by Jay337; 11-03-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this mean that he SQ5 is supported or no? on the list is just says "Q5"

Once the iPhone version is released I will buy the needed items and try.

Thanks for adding this offering for the Q5 community
Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn't sure about the Kindle Fire HD but after a little investigation it does indeed have Bluetooth, though I never used it. I discovered I had it turned off.

I have a second Android device that is not a Kindle, but without Bluetooth. Do you know if it would be possible to purchase your app from GooglePlay for this device and somehow transfer the app to the Kindle ? Or would the app be device specific ?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jay337
that's awesome
thanks for the fast answers

Oh ! and btw can you tell me (tell us) what is the difference between your first 3 obd2 adaptors on your web site list ? theres one at 15$ one at 60$ and one at 9$ ?
They're all the same, really. It's just a matter of finding one that works. We don't make or sell these devices, so just look at the reviews on Amazon and find one from a seller that has good reviews. Stay away from devices that claim to use version 2.1 of ELM327 - those are almost always fake and don't work with Carista.

Originally Posted by Blu_Bee5
Does this mean that he SQ5 is supported or no? on the list is just says "Q5"

Once the iPhone version is released I will buy the needed items and try.

Thanks for adding this offering for the Q5 community
Yup, SQ5 is supported. I've just updated the web site to reflect that

Originally Posted by stash64
I wasn't sure about the Kindle Fire HD but after a little investigation it does indeed have Bluetooth, though I never used it. I discovered I had it turned off.

I have a second Android device that is not a Kindle, but without Bluetooth. Do you know if it would be possible to purchase your app from GooglePlay for this device and somehow transfer the app to the Kindle ? Or would the app be device specific ?
No, that won't work, unfortunately. You'll need Google Play and Bluetooth on the same device... Until we implement Amazon payments - then you'll be able to use the Kindle Fire HD.

Quick Reply: Customize your Q5 (coding) through a mobile app!