Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dash Brake Warning Light with no Error Message / Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Brake Warning Light with no Error Message / Code

Hello,

Just recently, I started getting the BRAKE light on my dash at the beginning of my drive on my 2011 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus with 72,000 miles.

When I accelerate with some oomph (not just nursing the car along), the light will come on, beep three times and then go off when I let off on the pedal. The brake fluid is full. The pads are in great shape and have tons of life left on them. When I press the SET button, I don't get any messages. The ABS light has never come on. I don't get any error codes when I run my scanner. And after I drive for approximately 15 minutes, the issue won't come back until I turn the car off and then back on.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you resolve it?

Thanks so much!

Jon
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMcKeown
Hello,

Just recently, I started getting the BRAKE light on my dash at the beginning of my drive on my 2011 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus with 72,000 miles.

When I accelerate with some oomph (not just nursing the car along), the light will come on, beep three times and then go off when I let off on the pedal. The brake fluid is full. The pads are in great shape and have tons of life left on them. When I press the SET button, I don't get any messages. The ABS light has never come on. I don't get any error codes when I run my scanner. And after I drive for approximately 15 minutes, the issue won't come back until I turn the car off and then back on.

Thanks so much!

Jon
Most likely low on brake fluid, check it!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Most likely low on brake fluid, check it!
I have and it is at the very top of the container.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have and it is at the very top of the container.
Could be stuck level sensor, or poor contact at wear sensor plug?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, it is time for me to eat some humble pie.........

I checked the brake fluid again with my father in law and when you take off the lid it looked absolutely full to me. But, we wiped off the side and held a flashlight to it and the fluid was actually midway between min and max. So, we filled it all the way up and I no longer have the issue. I think this was caused when I accelerated because it moved the fluid back from the center may have been what triggered the warning.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Jon
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

JonMcKeown that's a good outcome, but your brake fluid level should not be changing.You need to track this fluid loss down,Audis don't typically drop brake fluid.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
JonMcKeown that's a good outcome, but your brake fluid level should not be changing.You need to track this fluid loss down,Audis don't typically drop brake fluid.
The fluid level does drop as the brake pads wear. It doesn't take much fluid loss to trigger the warning light. Some sensors are more, or less, sensitive. My prior A4 warning light was very sensitive to temperature changes, summer/winter.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Same issue

Hello,

Thanks so much!

Jon
hello I’m having the same issue. I’ve replaced all brake pads, replaced the brake pad sensor, checked brakes oil, and have cleaned the wheel speed sensors. I’m stuck on what it can be