Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Daytime running light broken (Q5 2014)

Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running light broken (Q5 2014)

Hi everyone,

To my surprise, the Daytime running light (DRL) that goes all the way round the passenger headlight unit stopped working on my Q5 2014 model. When I switch the lights on, the DRL flickers on for a split second and then stays off. I went to a garage and we switched around the LED Light Ballast Control Unit, as that is usually the failure point according to forums. But that was not the issue and the control unit was still working. It seems a waste that I now have to buy a whole headlight replacement unit just because the DRL does not work. Does anyone have any experience in solving this? In the worst case, I am looking to purchase a good condition headlight unit (My part number says 8R0 941 031 D and it is made by Valeo). I cannot find any exact part number matches on Ebay so was wondering if my 2014 would also be compatible with the 2013 to 2016 headlight units which have slightly different part numbers? Any advice please on people who have encountered this issue?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having this same issue on my 2012 Q5 P+, drivers side DRL. replaced balast module, still broken. I have not found any posts with a fix. Did you find a repair for yours or did you replace the entire unit?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If the LEDs flicker on and then go out, and this happens regardless of the current controller (it isn't a ballast) they are connected to?
It could easily be a simple bad solder joint or other small break in the wiring between the individual LEDs themselves. Power is applied to the "cold" parts to start them up, the heat of the power flowing expands something very small. That small physical change breaks the circuit, and the LEDs go out. Unfortunately, in order to test that you need to access the circuit, and IIRC that's all pretty much embedded in the $1300 plastic headlamp housing assembly. You can test continuity and power drain for the DRL string as a whole, but if it won't work on either ballast, pretty much all you can do is inspect the wiring going into it, or replace the whole assembly.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
If the LEDs flicker on and then go out, and this happens regardless of the current controller (it isn't a ballast) they are connected to?
It could easily be a simple bad solder joint or other small break in the wiring between the individual LEDs themselves. Power is applied to the "cold" parts to start them up, the heat of the power flowing expands something very small. That small physical change breaks the circuit, and the LEDs go out. Unfortunately, in order to test that you need to access the circuit, and IIRC that's all pretty much embedded in the $1300 plastic headlamp housing assembly. You can test continuity and power drain for the DRL string as a whole, but if it won't work on either ballast, pretty much all you can do is inspect the wiring going into it, or replace the whole assembly.

Well that is very unfortunate for me... Ugh, I'm really beginning to hate this car.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Welcome to the world of Audi failed components after the 4-yr/50K mileage warranty has elapsed. Having experienced several failed parts at low mileage on my 2006 A6 Avant (only has ~90K miles on it), I am convinced that Audi AG engineers design the components based on time rather than operating cycles. Heck, VW offers a better warranty than their luxury Audi line - why is that??
Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

You’re telling me. I’m at 117k miles. I have been complaining about the oil consumption issue on my car since purchase at 96k miles. Audi USA refuses to fix it, because although manufactured and delivered to customer in June 2011, it’s a 2012 MY, so they refuse to cover it under the class. They claim my model year does not have the oil consumption issue, even though I go through a quart every tank of gas, and can with a heavy foot need a new quart every 250 miles. it’s starting to run rough, and I think I need an engine rebuild now. ****ty horrible car purchase, it was my first, and now will be my last, audi.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Morgali
You’re telling me. I’m at 117k miles. I have been complaining about the oil consumption issue on my car since purchase at 96k miles. Audi USA refuses to fix it, because although manufactured and delivered to customer in June 2011, it’s a 2012 MY, so they refuse to cover it under the class. They claim my model year does not have the oil consumption issue, even though I go through a quart every tank of gas, and can with a heavy foot need a new quart every 250 miles. it’s starting to run rough, and I think I need an engine rebuild now. ****ty horrible car purchase, it was my first, and now will be my last, audi.
The oil consumption classaction lawsuit fix was only good until 80K miles or less, so your vehicle exceeded the limit when you purcased it. The excessive oil use was probably why the original owner sold the Q5. The majority of Audi vehicles start needing a lot of repairs after 100K miles. Yes, some owners get longer life but it isn't the norm. If you want to buy a reliable high mileage SUV. look elsewhere. Look at the bright side, your 2012 most likely has the lastest version timming belt tensioner, 2011's do not. When the earlier versions fail, it usually is a $7K bill at the dealer.

There are many causes for oil consumption, bad PCV valve, turbo oil leak. Your dealer can check it out and run an oil consumption test.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 07-10-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Morgali. I did fortunately resolve my issue. Please see here. Good luck.

https://www.audiownersclub.com/forum...advice-please/
Old 07-10-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aerotus
Hi Morgali. I did fortunately resolve my issue. Please see here. Good luck.

https://www.audiownersclub.com/forum...advice-please/
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I tried to remove the headlamp assembly but was unable to do so without removing, at the very least, a large part of the grill and front bumper assembly. I'll have more time in a couple weeks to dig into it. I'll let ya know what I find.

Anyone have any idea on the expected voltages from these parts would be?
Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Lau03
I have the same issue on my 2014 SQ5 Prestige. Dashboard says that my right Daytime running light (DRL) is broken.
I looked at it and it does not switch on, so I went to Advanced Auto parts but they don't carry these bulbs, I am not even sure if it is a regular bulb or LED.
So i looked in my owner's manual but they say that replacing a light bulb can be tricky and there is sharp edges, OMG...it says that you should go to a dealership just to replace a bulb, wtf ! I can't even find the bulb part online.
Ps: i found some youtube videos showing how to remove the headlight and it is not that tricky. I probably can do that easily. And I have all needed tools too.

I just bought this car 1 month ago with only 27,000 miles on it and it is already giving me this issue (i didn't even drive 1,000 miles with it), this is my very first Audi so I hope that I won't regret my choice.
If a stupid DRL replacement is already that complicated, what is it gonna be if I have a real issue ?
You want to read this post first before removing the headlight.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2936126/page2/

You normally need to remove the front bumper assembly and grill to get a headlight housing out on a 2014.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 11-12-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytime running light broken (Q5 2014)