Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dealer Delivery Fee & Costco Auto program

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer Delivery Fee & Costco Auto program

I am currently negotiating pricing with a few local dealers.

No Dealer seems to want to commit to a price over email or the phone.

1) What is the typical dealer delivery fee? Does this fee apply if doing European delivery? Does Delivery fee = destination charge?

2) Has anyone used the Costco Auto Program? I put in my information and the website says someone will call within 24 hours. A local Audi dealer called and said they cant release pricing over the phone, but said through the costco program they offer approximately invoice pricing.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought mine about a year ago, the 2.0T's were in such short supply that they said they did not participate in the Costco program for Q5's. Maybe inventories are higher now and they are more inclined to do it. I have bought other cars using Costco pricing and it is usually something like invoice + $500.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi does not participate in the Costco auto program.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Audi does not participate in the Costco auto program.
Absolutely they do, just not all dealers.
I bought mine that way, and was very pleased w/the way it worked out. I'd have likely gone to a more local dealer that I wasn't a huge fan of, but ended up at the dealer farther away that participated in the Costco program. They provided a $xxx over invoice price over the phone/email, I eneded up going out for a look-see, drove a 2.0T and 3.2 Q5 and 3.0T A6 for engine comparison, liked what I saw at the dealer, and finished up the order remotely until my car came in.

Nobody around here had any 3.0Ts on the lot, and they wouldn't negotiate much at all on an order. The Costco price was honored at the original dealer and ended up being ~2k cheaper than I could get otherwise.

YMMV obviously depending on what area you're in and how many dealers are local. But it's worth checking out as part of your shopping if nothing else.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
I am currently negotiating pricing with a few local dealers.

No Dealer seems to want to commit to a price over email or the phone.

1) What is the typical dealer delivery fee? Does this fee apply if doing European delivery? Does Delivery fee = destination charge?

2) Has anyone used the Costco Auto Program? I put in my information and the website says someone will call within 24 hours. A local Audi dealer called and said they cant release pricing over the phone, but said through the costco program they offer approximately invoice pricing.
Typically there is a distinction between the DESTINATION CHARGE and the PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION (PDI, aka dealer prep) charge. I have never been charged for the PDI, but have always been forced to pay the Destination Charge. My dealer just confirmed that the Destination Charge is always levied in the case of European Delivery.
I'd be interested to hear if Costco's presumed volume negotiating power would indeed bring down a European Delivery sale to invoice pricing.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bürgermeister
Typically there is a distinction between the DESTINATION CHARGE and the PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION (PDI, aka dealer prep) charge. I have never been charged for the PDI, but have always been forced to pay the Destination Charge. My dealer just confirmed that the Destination Charge is always levied in the case of European Delivery.
I'd be interested to hear if Costco's presumed volume negotiating power would indeed bring down a European Delivery sale to invoice pricing.
I plan to go to that local dealer who participates with Costco either Wednesday or Thursday. Once I found out the details I will post it here.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mwaarna
I plan to go to that local dealer who participates with Costco either Wednesday or Thursday. Once I found out the details I will post it here.
I used the Costco Auto Program and was very satisfied. In fact, I didn't even go to the dealership until I had to pick it up. Pricing was transparent and very clear; even the options and accessories had their own Costco member price all discussed over the phone. I recommend it unless you think you can negotiate harder in person outside of the program.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The costco website is erroring out for me today, does anybody know of a list of participating dealers? Washington DC/Virginia/Maryland area in particular.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went to the dealer that worked with the Costco program.

Invoice + 300 was the negotiated deal through costco.

This dealer does have a 600 dollar dealer fee that is non-negotiable.

Other dealers around my area have similar fee's.

----

I put a deposit down and told them I would consider this dealer and shop around, since I have quite a few dealers in South Florida..

So the next day they said for Local delivery(Non-ED) they would do:
Invoice + 600(dealer Fee) + tax/title

I am currently waiting to hear back if they can do this for ED.

I am getting pretty much a fully loaded P+ TDI Model.

Last edited by mwaarna; 07-01-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

In case of ED, all sources indicate the same formula: 5% off MSRP and maybe (at dealer's discretion) a modest accessory freebie thrown in.