Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Did I do something dumb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Maybe I'm all wrong on this, but I thought all North American 2013+ 2.0Ts had the ZF8 speed? i.e. no mechatronics unit. A completely different tranny
I think ZF just manufactures the mechanical transmissions. While "Mechatronics" in the larger outside world means "mechanical and electronic hybrid systems" i.e. the transmission, plus the electronic modules or computers controlling it. (Probably Bosch?)

So if the gearbox was physically fine, it could just need an electronics control board, to properly power up the solenoids that replace clutches, or throw clutches. But in Audispeak...You can charge the customer so much more for "Mechatronics" that for something like a "computer". Which the customer knows is $299 at Best Buy. [sic]
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdolian
BTW, where are you getting "free fuel" for your Model S? What is a safe range to use on road trips for planning purposes? How much is the range affected by the load in the vehicle?
Tesla has a nationwide network of fast chargers that cost nothing to use, or at least up until recently they didn't. The newer Model 3s will have to pay a nominal fee to use them.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Mike-
I'm glad you can road trip in your Tesla. I've seen maps of the supercharging network, as well as heard gripes about "There were only two chargers and I had to wait an hour for one to open up" and that doesn't seem to be getting solved very quickly. And I'm still waiting for the resolution of the lawsuit Tesla filed against a NYTimes reported several years ago. The reporter detailed a horror tail of running out of range in the cold, being misdirected...having a wonderful (not) time and Tesla said he was lying and libeling them.
I don't know about the specific story you're talking about but I do know that Tesla has been the victim of several smear campaigns. Not really because people want to see them fail but more along the lines of what happens with Apple. Tesla stories equal page views. Tesla scandals equal TONS of page views. Go back and look through the history of the iPhone. Remember antennagate? It was a non-problem. You had to hold your phone in a painfully awkward way and it would eventually lose it's signal until you adjusted your hand. But it was a huge scandal and Apple ended up giving everyone bumpers to stick over their phones to prevent the problem. After those bumpers came out did every phone have them? No, most didn't. But did people still complain about the antenna problem? No, because it never really was a problem that would occur in real life use. The same goes with the purple flare in some photos on recent phones. That was a huge scandal for a few days and then fizzled.

Top Gear famously had the original roadster run out of electricity on their track even though it didn't run out of electricity. They just thought it would be a good story and since Top Gear is fiction, the courts sided with them. The point is it's not beyond reason that people are making problems up or embellishing them. I've had three Model S's. My first was a salvage car that was fixed so I don't count it for problems but it didn't have any anyhow. My second was a 2013 early build car. The car itself was awesome. Everything Tesla made was amazing. Everything they didn't, sucked. The key wouldn't read much of the time, it always told you it's battery was dead, the tire pressure sensor system had to be reprogrammed something like 6 times before Tesla eventually ripped the entire thing out of the car and retrofitted one from a newer car. And I'd later find that Elon said that for the older cars they couldn't get the top tier suppliers to take them seriously and so they were forced to go to lower tier suppliers who gave them substandard products. I'm happy to say that my 2015 P85D has been a peach. It hasn't had a single problem, error code, door handle not presenting, etc. Nothing. It's an amazing car.

As you note, electric cars have thousands less parts to worry about. But there are some carved-in-stone limits as to where chargers can go, who will pay for them, whether companies will convert to shared standards (not yet, no way) and other technical issues. Tesla may be trying to reinvent the production line but AFAIK the only real change since Henry Ford has been mobile modules and JIT inventory controls and Tesla hasn't suggested anything more except it has been damned tricky hand-wiring battery packs because they can't figure out how to mechanize that?
Tesla is already accomplishing things that people insisted would never happen and could never happen. I've been watching stories for years about the problem of the day and what will become their undoing this time. A couple years ago it was the drive units on the early Model S's. It's always something. As long as people click the headlines there will be problems.

A great concept, I agree. But no one, no where, has been able to really make it happen, profitably and sustainably, yet. Take away two parking spots on a Manhattan street to install shared incompatible charging stations, and you'll see a new version of "Cool Hand Luke" playing out the next night. I have a friend who is considering a much less expensive electric (after 15 years of relatively no trouble with a Japanese econocar) and they're figuring that even with a home charging station, that means they'll need to rent a real car three or four times a year, to make the 400-mile-each-way road trip to visit children and family. And of course, the extra hour going to the rental shop and filling out papers will make each trip that much longer too. It makes 'electric' much less appetizing to them.
But again, nice if it can be made to work on a large scale. I just don't see how, especially in a free [sic] market.
And I'd tell them not to buy an electric car right now. Wait. Innovative technology draws in early adopters who pay a premium for it and subsidize innovation which eventually adds features that others were holding out for. The Model S subsidized the Model 3. The Model 3 will subsidize even more charging infrastructure. Look at the iPhone (2 iPhone comparisons in one post!). The first iPhone couldn't even receive picture messages or cut and paste and people swore it was junk because of that but it was actually still cutting edge. And as those features trickled into the phone with each subsequent new model, more naysayers were brought in and bought. That's how this will go. Eventually it will be ubiquitous. But these things happen exponentially. That charging network is going to be here (and everywhere) before you know it and faster than you ever thought could happen. That said, for 3 years now my S has been it in terms of cars. Our other is an i3. I've never had to rent a car because the S couldn't take me anywhere.

Audi's mechatronic transmissions seem to follow Chrysler's old efforts at that approach. They tried to outperform Delco's Turbohydramatic automatic transmissions and became infamous for computer control problems. Audi's programming seems to have problems with 1-2 shifts under a number of specific situations. Plus of course having the problems of computers. But then again, I'm also told Tesla has had to replace power units (i.e. the motors) multiple times for some owners, and of course there is only one way to get those.
For some reason nobody can make these. BMW has similar issues with the mechatronics on their cars for years.

But you may notice that neither Audi nor Tesla has any car on the 10-15 year old best reliability ratings lists?
I'm a car enthusiast. I love cars. I love German cars. I loved my A8's, I loved the 6 or so various 5 series I had and this Q5 is an absolutely delight to drive. All that said, I'd rather have a Tesla with 150,000 miles on it than an Audi with 50,000. Simplicity is the name of the game for high mileage and the amount of over-engineering, combined with Audi's inability to use plastic that doesn't turn to dust after 100,000 miles conspires to make high mileage Audi ownership a challenging proposition. It's the same reason I don't own an M5. I love the car and have tremendous respect for the engineering behind it but in terms of cost proposition, it just doesn't make sense to own. Maybe the problem is that I need more money! :-D