Difference in TDI Premium Plus & SQ5 Prestige - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference in TDI Premium Plus & SQ5 Prestige

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Difference in TDI Premium Plus & SQ5 Prestige

Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anecdote on the TDI mileage and highway...

As Grant mentioned above, the range is great. I set out at 4am one morning and drove nearly 8 hours straight, just over 500 miles, through Utah and into Idaho. Still had enough fuel to get through Idaho practically but we stopped because (the amazing part) I figured my 3.5 year old son wouldn't mind running around a bit. What a trooper, lol!

If I recall, we were getting around 35 mpg or so on that trip. Edit: That mileage is doing 80+ most of the time too.

Last edited by jbird; 06-13-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Adding small bit of info
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
, the TDI has a nice warranty for peace of mind with the scandal.
Can you tell me more on this? I don稚 know about the warranty. I知 looking at another one now (that TDI I linked to got sold .. which one of you was it!) that is int eh 50k mi range so out of manufacture warranty.. is there some special extended warranty that would be transferred to me even at that mileage because it is TDI?

So does anyone know what are the differences between Prestige and Premium Plus before packages are added.. like if someone bought a Q5 PP and another bought a Q5 Prestige base models with no extra packages where would the differences be?

I知 tempted to say f-it YOLO and buy the SQ5 but yes I do the math and also I did the math and said by the time I知 done with this thing gas might be $5 a gallon.. and then it gets even bigger.. $9k gas savings over 5 years at current prices (diesel is about $3 here and premium $3.5) and $13k if prices would be about $4.5 0 diesel and $5 premium.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m looking at a TDI Prestige it looks like a decent deal. The Carfax says there was damage reported in 2015 but no accidents reported and they make a note (not all damage is from accidents). Do you think I should steer clear of this? I mean it could have been major or minor.. it is out of state so I would have to buy it as-is without a test drive.. they suggest I have a mechanic look at it but I don’t know these mechanics they could be in cahoots or else incompetent or there could be a hidden defect.. otherwise it is a good car with all the options I want. It seems like the accident is somewhat priced in by a couple thousand as it appears to be a nice price..
Old 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rltrdc View Post

Can you tell me more on this? I don稚 know about the warranty. I知 looking at another one now (that TDI I linked to got sold .. which one of you was it!) that is int eh 50k mi range so out of manufacture warranty.. is there some special extended warranty that would be transferred to me even at that mileage because it is TDI?
Q5 Prestige package is - Side Assist, Adaptive Headlights, Manual sunshade for rear doors, thermo cupholder, B&O stereo, Navigation, Audi connect, and Parking sensors. It was a $7,500 package. All but adaptive headlights, sunshades, and thermo cupholders could be ordered on a Premium Plus model.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you tell me more on this? I don’t know about the warranty. I’m looking at another one now (that TDI I linked to got sold .. which one of you was it!) that is int eh 50k mi range so out of manufacture warranty.. is there some special extended warranty that would be transferred to me even at that mileage because it is TDI?

So does anyone know what are the differences between Prestige and Premium Plus before packages are added.. like if someone bought a Q5 PP and another bought a Q5 Prestige base models with no extra packages where would the differences be?

I’m tempted to say f-it YOLO and buy the SQ5 but yes I do the math and also I did the math and said by the time I’m done with this thing gas might be $5 a gallon.. and then it gets even bigger.. $9k gas savings over 5 years at current prices (diesel is about $3 here and premium $3.5) and $13k if prices would be about $4.5 0 diesel and $5 premium.
This is the extended emissions warranty booklet. All the details are within. Page 7 begins warranty section.
Attached Files

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I知 tempted to say f-it YOLO and buy the SQ5 but yes I do the math and also I did the math and said by the time I知 done with this thing gas might be $5 a gallon.. and then it gets even bigger.. $9k gas savings over 5 years at current prices (diesel is about $3 here and premium $3.5) and $13k if prices would be about $4.5 0 diesel and $5 premium.
If you are concerned about the cost of gas why look at an Audi? Factoring in that cost over so many years seems kind of foolish when you are talking about a luxury vehicle. If you are that concerned about money you should look at buying a cheap used car with a 4 cylinder. If you are overthinking things and the money isn't really a big deal then get the SQ5 and stop worrying about gas costs.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
If you are concerned about the cost of gas why look at an Audi? Factoring in that cost over so many years seems kind of foolish when you are talking about a luxury vehicle. If you are that concerned about money you should look at buying a cheap used car with a 4 cylinder. If you are overthinking things and the money isn't really a big deal then get the SQ5 and stop worrying about gas costs.
That is like asking someone to no longer pay attention to the price of milk, cigarettes or beer. How much gas costs is so ingrained into the civilized human world it will not go away that quickly. Not many other goods have neon signs outside to get you to constantly watch the price for its day to day change.

We are stuck sucking on the tit of the oil and gas industry. Like it or not but the majority of people are constantly worried about the price of gas and how efficient their cars are. Trust me, I understand it is ridiculous to worry about it because it is only a few bucks per fill up, but it is a worse habit than people have with looking at their smartphones. We humans are easily trained like that. Notice how the words "miles per gallon" is no longer used in commercials and it is now "MPGs"? They want you to overly concern yourself with it. They want you to buy a new car that is more efficient and go deeper into debt. They own our asses.

.rant mode...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM
TDI Enthusiast

With regard to damage, no accident, it usually means a tree fell on it or the driver backed into a retaining wall, some such. Body work done, no accident. It wouldn’t kill a deal for me but I’d much prefer not having that in the car fax.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
Why would one not look at the cost of gas or total cost of ownership? I make good enough money but not so much I can just flush it.. I have an 07 X3 right now and it has been great but it is thirsty compared to newer vehicles. I’ll depreciate pretty much any vehicle down to 0 over 5 - 6 years..

So if I buy a TDI for $30k in 5 years 125k miles I’ll probably be looking at

$24k depreciation + $14k fuel + $11k repairs & maint = $49k / 125k = 39 c per mile

SQ5 for $30k in 5 years 125k miles I’ll be looking at

$24k depreciation + $23k fuel + $14k repairs & maint = $60k / 125k = 48 c per mile

I just don’t see $11k benefit in the SQ5.. I mean letting it out on the highway here and there just isn’t worth it to me. If they got the same gas mileage but the SQ5 cost $9k more I certainly wouldn’t consider it at all.. so why would I consider it at the same price knowing how much more it will be over it’s life? .. It’s like I could pay $40k for a newer lower mileage TDI and probably still be better off..

$30k depreciation + $14k fuel + $8k repairs & maint = $52k

If I only drove 10k or 15k miles per year then I might consider it because it wouldn’t be that much.

Last edited by Rltrdc; 06-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why would one not look at the cost of gas or total cost of ownership? I make good enough money but not so much I can just flush it.. I have an 07 X3 right now and it has been great but it is thirsty compared to newer vehicles. I’ll depreciate pretty much any vehicle down to 0 over 5 - 6 years..

So if I buy a TDI for $30k in 5 years 125k miles I’ll probably be looking at

$24k depreciation + $14k fuel + $11k repairs & maint = $49k / 125k = 39 c per mile

SQ5 for $30k in 5 years 125k miles I’ll be looking at

$24k depreciation + $23k fuel + $14k repairs & maint = $60k / 125k = 48 c per mile

I just don’t see $11k benefit in the SQ5.. I mean letting it out on the highway here and there just isn’t worth it to me. If they got the same gas mileage but the SQ5 cost $9k more I certainly wouldn’t consider it at all.. so why would I consider it at the same price knowing how much more it will be over it’s life? .. It’s like I could pay $40k for a newer lower mileage TDI and probably still be better off..

$30k depreciation + $14k fuel + $8k repairs & maint = $52k

If I only drove 10k or 15k miles per year then I might consider it because it wouldn’t be that much.

Because the difference in the cost of gas is negligible when buying a luxury vehicle. If money is that much of a concern then buy a cheaper car. I can tell by your post you are a very numbers driven person which is common amongst engineers. I find a lot of engineers get bogged down on the numbers and can't make a decision due to analysis paralysis. Not saying you are an engineer, but you definitely have the mindset of one. I like numbers too, but I am also a direct person so I can make decisions very quickly. The numbers show you will save money with a TDI, and the only reason to go for the SQ5 is the fun factor.

$11,000 over 5 years = $2,200 per year. Is the fun factor, looks, power worth the extra cost? Answer that question and you have your answer. For me it was and thats why I bought an SQ5. Nobody can answer that question for you.

Or get creative and look for better deals. I got a smokin deal on my SQ5 because it has a rebuilt title. A tree branch fell on the roof. Dealer replaced the sunroof, pdr for a couple dents, touch up one small scratch and the car was in amazing condition. I saved $10,000 by going this route. The negative is no warranty but the platform seems very reliable. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in TDI Premium Plus & SQ5 Prestige

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: