Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Digital speedometer between speedometer and tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Digital speedometer between speedometer and tachometer

Lots of combinations of stuff but I have found the one I want, the time and the digital speedometer. Is there that combination or am I sol on my 14 SQ5?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think thats an option, but the time is always shown in center console/MMI, so why do you need it on speedo again?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Because I like it and it's a lot bigger.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No sorry shokhead you're not allowed to have that !
Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL, DARN!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You and me both. The answer is, buy a $10 Timex and stick it on the dashboard.(G)

Or for $25 you can get one that reads the WWV time signals, keeps itself set, and changes for daylight slavings time all by itself.

There are SOME brands we won't mention that manage to make that all standard in their cars, too.

"Audi. Eventually, we will bring you your father's Oldsmobile."
Old 02-03-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Redd, reading all your various complaints over the years, one would think you made a huge mistake buying an Audi. If all those other makers have figured it out, why did you not buy one of their vehicles instead?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Because they are way worst?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Not a huge mistake, no. Looked at a Subaru, but there were no options for Xenon or other brighter headlights. And while it goes 0-40 OK, they all pretty much crap out at 45 unless you order larger engines. Looked at a Ford, but couldn't get keyless entry without moving up to the top model, which still didn't offer bright lights, and wasn't even stocked locally in AWD. (My last car blew a head gasket for no good reason, I wasn't waiting for three or four months to replace it, and there was a LOT slagged down under the hood, even the radiator caps and distributor.)

Audi had an expensive product--but with good power, good lights, good reliability rating for the 2013/2014 models. And AWD, in stock.

The quirks are more annoying than disabling. I can understand Subaru deciding "Our customers will accept this power limit, they're not speed demons and they'd prefer a cheaper more economical engine" and besides, Subaru actually got stuck with the Boxer engine decades ago, no one else would license anything better to them, and they've made great strides with it. But Audi? The quirks just seem so ridiculous, so easy to have avoided and corrected. Really, an entertainment system that follows a 6-year-obsoleted SD card standard?? A headlight switch arbitrarily stuck where it will be brushed off? Pretending the keyless entry system has no flaw--when the flaw is commonly known, addressed by a 14-maker trade group, and publicly demonstrated? Sounds like a batch of stoners must be running the company, yelling "Dave's not here man!" when it is Dave knocking on the door. Pretending the oil dipstick doesn't exist and cannot be found, when they can just SELL YOU ONE? What's that all about?

Heck, even Ford and Chrysler eventually recognized that some people were going to mod their cars, and started "Performance" divisions because gee, happy customers are good for business. Even when it isn't your core business.

Dieselgate? I don't even think anyone in Detroit had or has the ***** to try pulling that off. The Audi product--in recent years, not many of them--has been impressive. But this "there there dear, don't worry your head" business, is not what one adult should expect from another in a business relationship.

With the mileage I do, there's little reason to look for anything else until I've spread the depreciation and tax a bit further.(G) The car rides well, accelerate well. But my favorite shoes or blue jeans were never so full of ODD quirks. At least SAAB *had* an excuse for putting the ignition key on the floor. That was an engineering decision.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I am fine with the Q5 prefacelift digital speedometer (DS) . Note there is no combination of DS with time. Is this a request for an IC firmware revision?? Latest prefacelift firmware on IC is 0258 manually upgradable, and 0253 by SVM. On my 2009 I have 0258. Still no such combination.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-04-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Digital speedometer between speedometer and tachometer