Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Hello All -

If you've been following the thread on the new Execuhitch hitch for the Q5, you know it's been released. I believe I may be among the first to install, and did the install myself. The instructions that come with the hitch are overall very good. I did find some additions to the instruction manual that may be helpful, so wanted to post here in an effort to hopefully help others that take this on.

I've spoke to Daryl at Execuhitch about the additions/corrections, and he will be incorporating much of this initial feedback into an updated manual.

That said, I do want to say that I'm VERY impressed with the hitch. It seems extremely durable and the fact that it is COMPLETELY concealed when the draw bar isn't installed is a HUGE plus in my opinion (and the reason I waited for it rather than going OEM which I have been tempted to do over the past 6-12 months). Pictures are below, though they are similar to what RobC took.

Link to original thread/info: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=execuhitch

Onto the additions, thoughts on install. The manuals overall (as I mentioned) are really very good, so I'm not going to re-hash what is in it that you will receive. That said, here's what I would add:

-There are two places that the bumper is fastened on the Q5 that isn’t mentioned in the documentation. There are two ‘retainers/panel fasteners’ that are on the rear (just below the taillamps) that need to be released with a screw driver or panel fastener removal tool. If those aren’t removed, as you remove the bumper it will ‘tear’ the edge of the bumper where it’s fastened (flimsy/thin area of material).
-There is a plastic lip/bracket that is fastened at the bottom of the wheel well on each side. Again, these need to be released. If you do not, as you pull the rear bumper off with any force (thinking it should be free) you may snap these plastic brackets which will be an issue when you try and re-install the bumper.
-Torque rating in instructions for hitch bolts is 80 ft/lbs. This is inaccurate, and SHOULD BE 60 ft/lbs. I torqued two of the OEM bolts to 80 ft/lbs and stripped them (had to get a few replacement bolts).
-The 2 ‘extra’ included bolts (that are used to mount the hitch), are installed toward the front of the vehicle inline with the existing bolts. There is tape over the holes in the Q5 body. When removed, the bolts are installed in that location (one on each side, toward the front of the Q5).
-When hooking up the electrical, the instructions say to tap into the gray/black wire on the Q5 from the wire bundle (I forget if it's for the left or right taillight). There are TWO identical gray/black wires. I'm not sure if I tapped the correct one, but will hopefully confirm in the next couple of days when I hook up the trailer. It’s possible the duplicate gray/black wire is just that, the same wire running back again…but it is strange that there is a duplicate wire with the same color coding.
-There was no cap/cover for the 4 flat connector to keep the weather elements out when not in use. I’m going to pick one up.

I hope this info is helpful. It is not overly complicated to install if you've done this type of thing in the past, probably a 3-4 hr job with electrical hookup.

-tgt
Attached Images      

Last edited by tgt; 05-21-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more pic....
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to you, sir. Thanks for the updated info.

Let us know where you get the 4 flat connector cap too!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, great info. Will be having them install one when I am in Atlanta in August. One question, the panel on the bumper that gets removed, how is that attached? Is it 'clipped' on or are there some kind of screws/bolts?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for the posting

You've convinced me to go with the ExecutiveHitch for my 2011 Q5 2.0T. However, my Q5 does not have a removable plate in the rear bumper where the hitch pops out. Was yours pre-cut and replaceable? Your last pic shows the entire bumper intact as though you replaced that piece.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:34 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Thanks, great info. Will be having them install one when I am in Atlanta in August. One question, the panel on the bumper that gets removed, how is that attached? Is it 'clipped' on or are there some kind of screws/bolts?
There are two 'tabs' on the back of the panel and two 'T20' torx screws on the front (same T20's that holds the bumper on in the wheel well).

On my wife's Q7 those two front screws are actually just manual 'turn' screws that you release by hand. I wish the Q5 was the same.

Thanks,
tgt
Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5medic
You've convinced me to go with the ExecutiveHitch for my 2011 Q5 2.0T. However, my Q5 does not have a removable plate in the rear bumper where the hitch pops out. Was yours pre-cut and replaceable? Your last pic shows the entire bumper intact as though you replaced that piece.
The S-Line rear bumpers have the removable panel. I 'believe' the standard bumper (non s-line) does not, so you would have to cut the piece out for the hitch to be exposed. That is the way it works for the standard hitch anyway. I think if you search the forum there is a couple of folks that installed the OEM hitch on non s-line's.

Thanks,
tgt
Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks tgt. I'm installing the hitch just for a bike rack. No electrical. How much of the 4-5 hours for your install was for the hitch vs electrical.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5medic
Thanks tgt. I'm installing the hitch just for a bike rack. No electrical. How much of the 4-5 hours for your install was for the hitch vs electrical.
Honestly...of my 3-4 hours, the electrical was probably 30 minutes, and I would add another 30-40 minutes running around looking for replacement bolts (didn't even think of that).

If it's bike rack only, I would say you're closer to the 2-3 hr mark!

Thanks,
-tgt
Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wanted to provide an update for those considering this hitch. I had a chance to tow our trailer for the first time last night with the Q5. Literally 60 seconds to remove the cover and pop the tow bar on, worked extremely smoothly and the hitch towed well. The color coding and duplicate wire I mentioned above presented no issues as all of the lights worked without issue as well. I was curious if the dreaded 'clank' (too much play in the OE tow bar when installed that we have on our Q7 with the trailer hooked on heading down a bumpy road) would be present and it was NOT!

Love the hitch thus far...

-tgt

Quick Reply: DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5