Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:44 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No issues at all, and still a big fan of the invisihitch (as you said, aesthetics was the big draw for me as well). I'm not sure why they never updated the website, but if you call I suspect you would be able to order.

Good luck, great hitch.
-tgt

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Hi folks - I came across this thread while looking for a hitch for my wife's Q5 3.0T. The execuhitch / invisihitch seems like a good option versus OEM, especially because I want to retain the car's aesthetics.

There website doesn't have any Q5 pictures and details are kind of limited (http://www.invisihitch.com/). Are folks who went with it still happy?

What are your pros and cons for the invisihitch?

Last edited by tgt; 04-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious as to whether any reprogramming is needed from an Audi dealer once the wiring is completed? What about issues with backup sensors when either trailer or bike rack is mounted?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tgt
Hello All -

If you've been following the thread on the new Execuhitch hitch for the Q5, you know it's been released. I believe I may be among the first to install, and did the install myself. The instructions that come with the hitch are overall very good. I did find some additions to the instruction manual that may be helpful, so wanted to post here in an effort to hopefully help others that take this on.

I've spoke to Daryl at Execuhitch about the additions/corrections, and he will be incorporating much of this initial feedback into an updated manual.

That said, I do want to say that I'm VERY impressed with the hitch. It seems extremely durable and the fact that it is COMPLETELY concealed when the draw bar isn't installed is a HUGE plus in my opinion (and the reason I waited for it rather than going OEM which I have been tempted to do over the past 6-12 months). Pictures are below, though they are similar to what RobC took.

Link to original thread/info: FREE SQ5 Invisible Hitch (or S-line Q5) for someone who loves in the Atlanta Area!!! - AudiWorld Forums

Onto the additions, thoughts on install. The manuals overall (as I mentioned) are really very good, so I'm not going to re-hash what is in it that you will receive. That said, here's what I would add:

-There are two places that the bumper is fastened on the Q5 that isn’t mentioned in the documentation. There are two ‘retainers/panel fasteners’ that are on the rear (just below the taillamps) that need to be released with a screw driver or panel fastener removal tool. If those aren’t removed, as you remove the bumper it will ‘tear’ the edge of the bumper where it’s fastened (flimsy/thin area of material).
-There is a plastic lip/bracket that is fastened at the bottom of the wheel well on each side. Again, these need to be released. If you do not, as you pull the rear bumper off with any force (thinking it should be free) you may snap these plastic brackets which will be an issue when you try and re-install the bumper.
-Torque rating in instructions for hitch bolts is 80 ft/lbs. This is inaccurate, and SHOULD BE 60 ft/lbs. I torqued two of the OEM bolts to 80 ft/lbs and stripped them (had to get a few replacement bolts).
-The 2 ‘extra’ included bolts (that are used to mount the hitch), are installed toward the front of the vehicle inline with the existing bolts. There is tape over the holes in the Q5 body. When removed, the bolts are installed in that location (one on each side, toward the front of the Q5).
-When hooking up the electrical, the instructions say to tap into the gray/black wire on the Q5 from the wire bundle (I forget if it's for the left or right taillight). There are TWO identical gray/black wires. I'm not sure if I tapped the correct one, but will hopefully confirm in the next couple of days when I hook up the trailer. It’s possible the duplicate gray/black wire is just that, the same wire running back again…but it is strange that there is a duplicate wire with the same color coding.
-There was no cap/cover for the 4 flat connector to keep the weather elements out when not in use. I’m going to pick one up.

I hope this info is helpful. It is not overly complicated to install if you've done this type of thing in the past, probably a 3-4 hr job with electrical hookup.

-tgt
Do you know how well the moving parts of the execuhitch stand up to a corrosive environment like road salt found in the northern states or Canada?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Since you live in Wisconsin, can you tell me how the Execuhitch mechanism stands up to road salt?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think this hitch will work with WD ( weight distribution)
it looks like a copy of the European designs that are very dated
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

also friend told me to NOT USE A LOCK as the salt and corrosive environment can and will freeze the lock pins. then you are stuck getting it off
Old 03-17-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can you tell comment on the impact of road salt on Execuhitch mechanism?
Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sudsaver
Can you tell comment on the impact of road salt on Execuhitch mechanism?
I've had zero issues with corrosion or issues with the latch mechanism in regards to salt or anything else.

Hope that helps
tgt
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

tgt,

Thanks for the information you provided on this thread. I purchased the hitch because I like the form factor and because you can hide it. I actually wanted to have someone install it for me but no one in my area does it (other than a U-HAUL), so after reading the instructions on the forum and your information I thought I would give it a shot.

It took me about 3-4 hours to do, I'm not a pro by any means but I know how to use a socket wrench. Here are my lessons learned:

1. I had the hardest time figuring out how to remove the chrome threshold plate based on the instructions. I ended up just prying the thing off on both ends and it popped right out, it was fine.

2. On my car ('14 SQ5), the nut on passenger side bolt by the fuse box was blocked by a fusebox, I had to remove one of the nuts (10mm) holding the fuse box housing and remove the fusebox, to get to the nut holding the fascia to the car. This wasn't in the instructions.

3. I couldn't figure out how to install the third bolt into the hitch beam. I noticed (after everything was taken apart) that I was missing some screws and washers in the packaging (my lesson learned here is to check to make sure everything is in the package before you start...). I ended up just installing the hitch beam with the original bolts, I'm only using this for a bike rack so I think I would be OK but I'm going to reach out to invisihitch anyway. The instructions were pretty poor in this area. If I have to add a third bolt on each side it would be a while before I take this all apart again.

I do have the driver assist so I was careful to remove and put back the fascia. Took it out for a test drive to see if it still worked. It doesn't seem to be as consistent but then again, I never really paid any attention to it before to see if I had that issue before. Not sure how to test other than driving it around on the freeway or multi-lane roads.

Hope that helps someone else and thanks again!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgt
One more pic....
Thx for sharing your experience objectively. Looks like you found an effective alternative to OEM, provided manufacturer applies your lessons.
Pls clarify what steps if any you did to incorporate controls from operating a trailer into the Q5's controls.

Quick Reply: DIY - Execuhitch Hitch install on 2013 Audi Q5