Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DMP Car Design Navigation System 10.25" Android review

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default DMP Car Design Navigation System 10.25" Android review

I recently decided to update the core electronics of the car to something that would bring the technology into the 21st century and decided to go with https://www.dmpcardesign.com for their standalone system:

Aud! Q5 10.25" Android Widescreen Touch Screen Tesla Size (dmpcardesign.com)

Some aspects which I was looking for:
  • Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Upgradeable to Android 11, the system is currently on 10
  • Ease of install with current wiring and no splicing - plug & play
  • Works seamlessly with existing factory setup, but allows the best of both world
  • Plays FLAC content, as well as standard MP3 and the like
The DMP solution hit all the marks and came equipped with the 4GB RAM / 64GB from the factory.

I'll be sharing the details on the install, but overall it took a couple of hours on an afternoon and I think I spent more time troubleshooting a human error issue -- note: make sure you plug in all the connections completely.

The nice thing is that I'm able to use Google maps directly and also play my favorite music, but if I want to use the factory setup for anything (e.g. radio), it works seamlessly, Lastly there was no need to change anything in the Green menu (e.g., enable AUX) for everything to work.

Here's some initial pics of the product and everything that came in the box:

Installed and working GREAT

New front fascia

2 wiring looms and a GPS and wifi antenna

Bracket to mount to dash

More tools than you'll ever need for the install, the only thing I really used was the plastic picks and the removal keys

Great looking screen with the protective film still attached

Back side of screen with the 4 connectors plus the 4 wire "iDrive" connector which needs to be attached securely

Last edited by raj99; 04-13-2021 at 12:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by raj99:
Dave C (04-15-2021), Phunk1e (04-13-2021), rdA4WtQ5 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The install of the DMP unit took longer that I would have suspected, since I took my time and this was the first time I've pulled wires and such through my new to me SQ5, however I predict I could do it again in about 60 mins. The basic steps to follow are:
  1. Drop the glovebox - so that you can run the cables and pull the 2 USB wires and add one to your globe box
  2. Pull out the 3G+ MMI unit with the provided keys - connect the provided 3G MMI connector to leverage the new unit
  3. Remove the old screen - to pull the wires through and there's plenty of space under the dash for your GPS and wifi and any cables
  4. Test and confirm AUX works before buttoning everything up

The one video that helped immensely and was pretty well exactly the same was the following:

As for the install, here are my tips:
  1. Make sure you plug everything in VERY securely - I had some issues where I thought I'd done so, but nope I hadn't and hence things didn't work well
  2. Drill a small hole under where the Apple connector plugs into the glove box and pull your extra USB cable through it, it looks clean and very professional
  3. No need to change anything via the Green (engineering) menu
  4. You'll need to remove the existing hazard light switch and insert it into the spare plug available as part of the new mount which has the hazard light switch located at the bottom

So here's a more detailed instruction:

Once you've removed your glovebox you'll have far more room to run cables and make the connections you need

Use the provided keys to pull out the 3G+ MMI unit and make sure you put the car in neutral and set the parking brake, also protect the shifter from scratching with some cloth

The large connector on the back of the MMI unit needs to sit flush and you'll need to wiggle it a bit to get it in there well, plus use the gator clip to make sure it's seated well. Also when you feed it back in make sure the extension sits as deep into the back as possible so it doesn't catch on anything.

Run the wires to the top that are required and all you need is 5 of them to connect to:
  • GPS
  • wifi
  • 15 pin
  • larger pin connector
  • iDrive connector

Lastly, I've highlighted all the connectors that are needed to be used for the install and you can pretty well ignore the others, unless you are adding more functionality (DVR, front facing camera, etc...):

Here's a little video I produced of some of the key points:

Last edited by raj99; 04-17-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

raj99 " bring the technology into the 21st century " when it comes to Audi's MMI that's an apt desire.I'll admit that the 3G MMI is reliable and basically functional no more.
What I'm interested to hear about is how your system interacts with the the "control ****" which is my favourite feature.
I despise touch-screens.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
raj99 " bring the technology into the 21st century " when it comes to Audi's MMI that's an apt desire.I'll admit that the 3G MMI is reliable and basically functional no more.
What I'm interested to hear about is how your system interacts with the the "control ****" which is my favourite feature.
I despise touch-screens.
@MurrayA4 the nice thing about the new setup is that it works fluidly with the existing control ****, however for those folks who do want a touch-screen it works as that as well. So it gives the user both options:
  • works with existing MMI control ****
  • touch screen enabled
Old 04-13-2021, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice post Raj99. Does this system also work with Apple or only Android?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Nice post Raj99. Does this system also work with Apple or only Android?
@SQ5guyinSoCal it works with both Android Auto and with Apple I tested with my Pixel 4 and my partner has a newer iPhone and both worked wirelessly.
The following 2 users liked this post by raj99:
Allan Mandell (04-13-2021), Phunk1e (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is great news and thank you for the quick reply. Can't wait to see/read your detailed install post.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What is the sound quality like?

The factory unit seems well tuned to the amp and the sound is decent.

Does the replacement unit deliver similar sound and how is the factory Mic integration working?

Edit: also, what is FM like?

most of these units seem to have terrible FM reception from previous experiences
Old 04-14-2021, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

There is no radio or SiriusXM tuners in this or the RSNAV unit. The Audi MMI radio is still used.
The following users liked this post:
Phunk1e (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's see some video of the main interface outside of carplay. I would like to compare to my RSnav which works amazing.

Quick Reply: DMP Car Design Navigation System 10.25" Android review