Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tax return burning a hole in my pocket...time for a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax return burning a hole in my pocket...time for a tune?

Currently my daily driver is a 2016 sq5...love the car, have had zero problems with it.

Turns out I'm going to get a healthy tax return and I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be fun to put it towards an ECU tune. A couple cars back I had a GTI tuned by APR and it was hysterical fun. But also horribly unreliable...constantly needing service department attention. The SQ5 has been bullet proof so far...but the GTI's reliability was probably just as much the underlying unreliable platform (2007, MkV) as it was the tune.

So, anyone tune and regret the choice? Other than APR, are there any decent companies offering stage 1 in the American southeast?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If you live in the SE then go with APR as they are local and you'll have better support. Jump right to Stage 2 since it only involves a tune and pulley for not much more $$. Not having to do exhaust work is really nice.

Do it soon as lots of tuners are doing Tax Sales which run out soon if not already.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tneconni
Currently my daily driver is a 2016 sq5...love the car, have had zero problems with it.

Turns out I'm going to get a healthy tax return and I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be fun to put it towards an ECU tune. A couple cars back I had a GTI tuned by APR and it was hysterical fun. But also horribly unreliable...constantly needing service department attention. The SQ5 has been bullet proof so far...but the GTI's reliability was probably just as much the underlying unreliable platform (2007, MkV) as it was the tune.

So, anyone tune and regret the choice? Other than APR, are there any decent companies offering stage 1 in the American southeast?
I just went APR Stage 2 on my 2014 SQ5 and I am CRAZY HAPPY! It woke up the Beast!!! The first time i launched it, the tires chirped and within 3 seconds i was literally dizzy. it took a couple of launches to get used to the power.
I did my homework on the toon and have heard of no issues with toons on the SQ5 3.0 motor. I had the work done at Cantec Automotive in Syracuse, NY and they have an awesome reputation (you see exotic cars there on a regular basis: Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. If you haven't yet pulled the trigger, I highly recommend it. Its great for the foot!!!
Old 05-12-2018, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

When did you do stage 2? How is everything holding up? I only have stage 1 on mine as I am a little worried about reliability of stage 2.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
When did you do stage 2? How is everything holding up? I only have stage 1 on mine as I am a little worried about reliability of stage 2.
It's only 1 data point, but I've been APR Stage 1 since ~25k and Stage 2 since 53k. It's daily driven, and just hit 80k miles and no issues at all