Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't try the Macan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Great write-up anselmw, thank you!

May be a mundane question, but how would you rate the Macan Turbo on the "everyday driver" scale? Unfortunately, that would be my use at this point. BTW my definition of a good everyday driver may vary significantly from others, but for me, I need a point & shoot, nimble, responsive car. So many "performance" cars, while putting up huge numbers at the track, feel big, lumbering, and tiring in a crowded, hit the hole, accelerate, decelerate agonizing morning commute. The Q5 3.0T is the first vehicle I've owned that isn't actually a car that fits the bill. Has the Macan maintained that livability?
The macan is my wife's car, I drive a M3 daily. In terms of daily driving. I drove it to work today and it performs well. Alot of torque to do quick acceleration moves. Also very good braking but not touchy in stop and go. We do have the air suspension and 20" RS wheels but ride feels more comfortable than the M3 and Q5 but also has good handling. So I would say it is a very good daily.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006

- One car household : Simply too small for a family car. Macan 17.7 cu/ft, GTI 22.8, 29.1 SQ5

SQ5 is perfectly balanced for us : Sporty, utilitarian, luxury
I agree SQ5 is better in terms of utility but the trunk is not that much bigger than the macan without moving the rear seat forward if you leave the cargo cover on for both. Our Q5 trunk liner was almost a perfect fit in the Macan trunk. If you move the seat in the Q5 back to the normal position. The only difference comes from the angled hatch on the macan. I think the macan trunk might be 2cft smaller. I can tell as we can almost put the same amount of stuff in both.

Last edited by anselmw; 08-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
Tell me about the coil overs on your TDI. What coil overs did you get? Ballpark cost + cost to install? Pros and cons after you've installed them?

Thanks
I didn't since that's not my goal with my Q5, but they run about $1500-$2200 installed. Plenty of threads on coilovers...more sporty handling, lower ride height, at the expense of comfort.

I kind of chuckle internally when anyone talks about the (S)Q5 in terms of being a performance car. It's not.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
I think the macan trunk might be 2cft smaller.
So is the main reason why Q5 cargo space is listed as being 11.4 cu ft. larger is due to the area above the cargo cover?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
So is the main reason why Q5 cargo space is listed as being 11.4 cu ft. larger is due to the area above the cargo cover?
Yes! All non-USA Audi sites list the cargo area under the cargo cover of the Q5 as 19.1 cu ft. Also remember there is a storage compartment under the cargo area as well. There's ~10 cu ft. above the cargo cover behind the rear seat.

17.1 cu ft for the Macan is under the Cargo cover as Porsche doesn't expect anyone to stack cargo above it (even though there is plenty of room as you get closer to the back of the rear seat.

2014 Audi Q5 - Quattro 4dr Features & Specs | Autonet
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're correct....the SQ5 is not a performance car....it is however a CUV that performs quite well. Any vehicle that will go 0-60 in five seconds with decent handling is a vehicle to be reckoned with. Of course It's not for the track but I can tell you for a fact that it will quickly get you through those clusters of mopey drivers who seem to love stay in a clump on an otherwise clear freeway.

Originally Posted by sdiver68
I didn't since that's not my goal with my Q5, but they run about $1500-$2200 installed. Plenty of threads on coilovers...more sporty handling, lower ride height, at the expense of comfort.

I kind of chuckle internally when anyone talks about the (S)Q5 in terms of being a performance car. It's not.

Last edited by USAVAGEU; 08-15-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
You're correct....the SQ5 is not a performance car....it is however a CUV that performs quite well. Any vehicle that will go 0-60 in five seconds with decent handling is a vehicle to be reckoned with. Of course It's not for the track but I can tell you for a fact that it will quickly get you through those clusters of mopey drivers who seem to love stay in a clump on an otherwise clear freeway.
Very well said. We agree completely. Tough to beat the SQ5 in its niche. We went in with our eyes wide open knowing exactly what we were and were not getting and could not be happier.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cnachris
Very well said. We agree completely. Tough to beat the SQ5 in its niche. We went in with our eyes wide open knowing exactly what we were and were not getting and could not be happier.
Yep, agreed. I guess my opinion always is - call it what you want, it's just a label, but if I need a tool it better damn well be a good performing tool. In this case, I needed an AWD people hauler. Making it slower and less capable does not make it fit the mold any better. It just makes it slower and less capable.

In that same vein, and slightly tongue in cheek...I'm still waiting for a manufacturer to make a decent performing minivan and advertise it as such. My sense is there are a lot of acceleration-starved soccer Dads out there who'd ante up for something a little more exciting than vanilla box on (undersized) wheels.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
I totally agree. Had I wanted a sports car, I would have bought one. Had I wanted a larger SUV, I would have bought one. Had I the budget for a Macan, I would have bought one...you see where this is going?
My SQ5's interior is just like my buddy's S4, except you could wear a Farrell hat if you were so inclined.

Last edited by SQive; 08-16-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

The SQ5 is certainly a special car. It sits squarely in the middle of the Macan and Cayenne; it out-accelerates all models of both vehicles except the turbos, but the turbos cost significantly more money than the SQ5. The SQ5 is bigger than the Macan, but has a rear seat that is only slightly smaller than the Cayenne (but the cayenne's cargo area is bigger).

I don't agree with those that say the Porsche interior is better. I had a 2011 Cayenne and the plastic was extremely creaky. The SQ5 interior, esp with the two-tone napa leather is very sharp. The reality is that Porsche and Audi use much of the same switch gear (Porsche SE is the majority shareholder of VW).

Lastly, those that say the Porsche handling is better, they are only halfway right; the Porsches offer superior suspensions (for a price) than the SQ5, but in base trim, they are not far apart. All of these cars will do great in the public road twisties; if you want a track car, don't get an SUV.

All of these cars are great, but the Audi certainly provides the best value.