Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
For many of us, if you leave any nav system in the car full time, your car will be broken into and the gps stolen in short order. Then you've got tp buy another gps, and sweep out the broken glass, and waste a day getting the car fixed.

So almost all the carmakers rake you over the coals for a built-in nav system, because that's the only one that won't be a problem with broken glass and theft.

Fact of life, they do it because they can.

And, they're almost all rip-offs on the updates. Navteq supplies maps to a lot of people including Garmin and Google last time I looked. Garmin sells you lifetime updates, licensed from Navteq and everyone else, four times per year for $75 flat. Every automaker charges at least twice that much for one update, available once a year if you are lucky. They can use any excuse in the book, but there is no excuse, it is just a rip-off. Again, because they can and you have no other choice.

Except these days, $3500 will buy a fine tablet and a lot of cell phone data and you can stick it right on the dash with some Velcro. Your choice.
I agree with you on this. portable GPS are more likely to attract unwanted attention. Even thou insurance will pay for it. Its really not worth the trouble. I prefer to have the OEM Navi.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Iphone with ATT Naviagtor, updated daily

Originally Posted by Redd
For many of us, if you leave any nav system in the car full time, your car will be broken into and the gps stolen in short order. Then you've got tp buy another gps, and sweep out the broken glass, and waste a day getting the car fixed.

So almost all the carmakers rake you over the coals for a built-in nav system, because that's the only one that won't be a problem with broken glass and theft.

Fact of life, they do it because they can.

And, they're almost all rip-offs on the updates. Navteq supplies maps to a lot of people including Garmin and Google last time I looked. Garmin sells you lifetime updates, licensed from Navteq and everyone else, four times per year for $75 flat. Every automaker charges at least twice that much for one update, available once a year if you are lucky. They can use any excuse in the book, but there is no excuse, it is just a rip-off. Again, because they can and you have no other choice.

Except these days, $3500 will buy a fine tablet and a lot of cell phone data and you can stick it right on the dash with some Velcro. Your choice.
I find that this work extremely well, constantly updated. I pipe it through the Q5 audio system. Works in all my vehicles no need to spend $3-4K in each vehicle.

Plus you need to use an OEM Nav a lot to justify the cost, most people I know that have them use them 2-3 times a year. They don't travel much at all.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think that $3k is a ripoff, then you've probably purchased the wrong car.
In this day and age, a luxury vehicle is not complete without an integrated navigation system and backup camera. So as much as I find the Audi NAV system to be lacking, I would never purchase a modern day Audi without it.

Sure, one can do "better" for less with a Garmin on the dash and an aftermarket backup camera bolted to the license plate bracket, but why would you want to detract from the luxury ownership experience?

I do agree though that Audi could (and should) do a better job with the updates.
Thankfully for me though, the roads where I live are fairly static.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
If you think that $3k is a ripoff, then you've probably purchased the wrong car.
In this day and age, a luxury vehicle is not complete without an integrated navigation system and backup camera. So as much as I find the Audi NAV system to be lacking, I would never purchase a modern day Audi without it.

Sure, one can do "better" for less with a Garmin on the dash and an aftermarket backup camera bolted to the license plate bracket, but why would you want to detract from the luxury ownership experience?

I do agree though that Audi could (and should) do a better job with the updates.
Thankfully for me though, the roads where I live are fairly static.
Sorry, but that's your opinion, everyone has a different experience

For me, the Audi Navigation 2700 Euros a waste of money.

I travel a lot all over Europe and I use Garmin which is 100 times better,
I have speed cameras, radars which 55,000 across Europe.

Audi navigation has badly covered Eastern Europe, Turkey does not exist in the map of Europe ......
Just once I bought the Audi navigation and never more

PS: How much is the Audi NAV system stupid shows where is maps Turkey:
Argentina, Brazil, India, Turkey
Three different continents: South America, Europe, Asia ????????
Great for travel Brazil - Turkey - India (if Audi can to fly)

Last edited by spijun; 04-28-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It won't be long before all luxury (and most other) cars include nav in their base price. For example, except for the A6 base 2.0T model, the other 5 engine/trim variants all include nav.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It won't be long before all luxury (and most other) cars include nav in their base price. For example, except for the A6 base 2.0T model, the other 5 engine/trim variants all include nav.
Only the U.S. market. I wish same thing in the rest of the world but .....
In Europe they all A6 models without NAV, and even the model S6
Only the RS models have navigation in all other Audi models is additional charge (2,100 - 3500 EUR)

Last edited by spijun; 04-28-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another advantage of getting Nav is that you also get the enhanced display for your speedometer which has a higher resolution.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling there is a demographic divide. Those maybe 50 and over think built in Navi is worth it as a luxury.

Those under 50 see redundancy with their smart phones and want the other things like backup camera without feeling ripped off.

Last edited by sdiver68; 04-28-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdiver68
I have a feeling there is a demographic divide. Those maybe 50 and over think built in Navi is worth it as a luxury.

Those under 50 see redundancy with their smart phones and want the other things like backup camera without feeling ripped off.
You are probably on to something.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

You also get the MMI control on the center console, which is where it should be to be easily accessible, rather than vertically on the center of the dash.

Quick Reply: Don't waste your money and don't buy the navigation system