Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Engine problem, what is my options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really don't have a case to try and lemon law the car.

The car has a warranty that the mfr is complying with; i.e. they will fix your car for free if something goes wrong. Audi is acting in full faith of their agreement with you.

If they are unable to fix the car, then you may have a claim to lemon law the car.

I think you are over-reacting to the situation. This is really not any different that having Audi replace a bad headlight or computer module. It is a factory part being installed by qualified Audi technicians.

If you have any concerns about the quality of the workmanship, then maybe you should express those concerns to Audi. Maybe they can extend your warranty period to cover any future issues related to the engine replacement.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Look at this way--you are getting the 2014 2.0T engine in your MY2013 2.0T. You are better off.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jdntea
Look at this way--you are getting the 2014 2.0T engine in your MY2013 2.0T. You are better off.
checked with many friends here, they would not consider to buy a car with replaced engine. Just wonder if you were buyer, do you feel comfortable to buy a car with a replaced engine?

Thanks for all comments.
HT
Old 11-12-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ht6464
checked with many friends here, they would not consider to buy a car with replaced engine. Just wonder if you were buyer, do you feel comfortable to buy a car with a replaced engine?

Thanks for all comments.
HT
I would never buy a car with a replaced engine. The car will never be the same as a car that wasn't messed with. It's seriously major surgery.

You should really talk to Audi and try to get them to buy back your car.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi HT,

As I mentioned in another thread, I am experiencing a similar, though slightly less severe problem as yours. I brought the car to the dealer at around 2300 miles before the oil lamp lights up, when they topped it off. Now 1400 miles later, it's down two-thirds of a quart again. So I am monitoring the situation.

I am not that worried about an engine swap. AFAIK, dropping an engine for repairs is not that big a deal for modern cars anyway. I don't think the dealer will have problem making it like new. That is not an issue.

What is an issue, to me, if I were in your shoes, is whether I still have confidence in the 2.0T engine. From what I have read here, oil consumption has been problematic, at least in its earlier iterations. If I were you, I would try to get Audi buy back the car and order one with a different engine. I have been reading the posts since this became a concern in my car. Both the 3.0T and the TDI engines seem to have better track record (in other models). Especially the TDI.

Please keep us informed as to your decision, and Audi's response, etc.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

i wouldn't want a used car with a replaced engine and if it were my car with the problem, i would try to get the dealer/audi to give me a new car. as stated though, seems like they are complying with warranty so they are probably under no obligation to replace the car.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
i wouldn't want a used car with a replaced engine and if it were my car with the problem, i would try to get the dealer/audi to give me a new car. as stated though, seems like they are complying with warranty so they are probably under no obligation to replace the car.
Update form the solution, I end up to get 2014 new Q5 with same specification, but pay $3k+ extra money. This is not the extra I want to pay if I did not have the defunct engine. Local dealer tried to help me, but the Audi Germany does not give them enough money to cover the difference. I don't have time and energy to fight through lemon law or court, but I believe I may pay less if spending efforts to go court for arbitration.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hope the new Q work for you. Good luck! But I still dont understand why Audi charges you extra 3k+... Not your fault at all!

Originally Posted by ht6464
Update form the solution, I end up to get 2014 new Q5 with same specification, but pay $3k+ extra money. This is not the extra I want to pay if I did not have the defunct engine. Local dealer tried to help me, but the Audi Germany does not give them enough money to cover the difference. I don't have time and energy to fight through lemon law or court, but I believe I may pay less if spending efforts to go court for arbitration.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't feel any dealerships has the tools or the men to install a brand new engine correctly!! There will be always something that is not right. A wire bent, a clip broke...... I would call AOA fast and ask for a buy back.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
I don't feel any dealerships has the tools or the men to install a brand new engine correctly!! There will be always something that is not right. A wire bent, a clip broke...... I would call AOA fast and ask for a buy back.
I had the engine replaced by a dealer because I went trough the deep water and hydro-locked the engine. The Q was 6 mo. old then, with less then 5 K miles on it. Also, Alternator had to be replaced, with a BT module and floor carpeting.
I had to come back to the dealer once to "fix" lose connection under the carpet 2 weeks after I got the car back. No more problems after the repair.
I was in fact very impressed by the quality of that repair.
In my case they had to remove all the seats, checked wiring for water damage, etc.
Changing the 4-cyl. engine would be a lot less invasive then what was done to my Q (6-cyl).
If I did not have that experience I would think that replacing the engine is going to give problems in the future.
In my case it did not...
I guess it depends on the tech doing the repair.

Quick Reply: Engine problem, what is my options?