Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

EPB and brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPB and brake fluid flush

I'm planning to do a brake fluid flush, then I'm not sure what to do with the EPB (electrical parking brake). Should I simply do not engage it? or Should the EPB in service mode like when doing brake pad?
Confused....
Old 05-26-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

No need to do anything with the EPB.

Just bleed the fluid out as you would normally expect to do.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 05-26-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bob, Thank you so much!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Guru-
If you are just planning the change based on calendar?
For about $20 you can buy a pen tester for brake fluid. Dip it in, press a button, 1-4lights come on. 1 or 2 lights, the fluid is still good. 3 lights, time to think about a change. 4 lights, it should have bene changed already.
There are also test strips, like ph test strips for a pool or anything else. About $10 for a whole vial of them. Dip a strip, watch for a color change.

One of those is checking for the amount of moisture in the fluid, the other looking for copper ion content, since the brake lines are copper lined and the presence of any excess copper in the fluid means it has also aged too much.

So for $30 you get a lifetime supply of testing for all your cars, and if you just test once every year, you may find you can get 4 years between changes without any problem. Some cars, some locations, some fluids, you get more. Some you get less. But to just go by the calendar? That's kinda like deciding when to put on long pants and a parka, based on just the calendar date. Not the optimal way to do it.(G)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Guru-
If you are just planning the change based on calendar?
For about $20 you can buy a pen tester for brake fluid. Dip it in, press a button, 1-4lights come on. 1 or 2 lights, the fluid is still good. 3 lights, time to think about a change. 4 lights, it should have bene changed already.
There are also test strips, like ph test strips for a pool or anything else. About $10 for a whole vial of them. Dip a strip, watch for a color change.

One of those is checking for the amount of moisture in the fluid, the other looking for copper ion content, since the brake lines are copper lined and the presence of any excess copper in the fluid means it has also aged too much.

So for $30 you get a lifetime supply of testing for all your cars, and if you just test once every year, you may find you can get 4 years between changes without any problem. Some cars, some locations, some fluids, you get more. Some you get less. But to just go by the calendar? That's kinda like deciding when to put on long pants and a parka, based on just the calendar date. Not the optimal way to do it.(G)
The brake fluid is original, almost 4 years old. It's time and no tests are needed.

I normally change brake fluid every 3 years. Audi suggests 2 years. Here is the comparison of 3.5y old and new fluid.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I mentioned, I was spoiled by 25 years of DOT-5 milspec fluid? (G)

When I went in for the sunshade last week they remarked about the color of the brake fluid and when I pointed out THEY had changed it about 14 months ago, all of a sudden the color didn't matter. I know Audi specs it at two years, which is conservative, but Nissan calls it a "lifetime fluid" and says to just CHECK IT before changing it. Every maker has their own rules.

The reason I bought the testers a year and half ago was that I also figured four years in a coastal state might be "enough". The tester said "Think about it, you've probably got naother year" so I changed it with no urgency. Still, at least in my car, Audi's recommendation for every two years was disproven by the physical testing. Audi's recommendation would have simply doubled the maintenance cost and disposal/pollution, for no reason.

If I could get rid of the ABS system and go back to DOT-5, I'd do it in an instant. Too many systems (and the ESC and AWD "torque braking" certainly are marvelous) playing around with my brakes!

If the $30 tools saved me from $120? $150? procedure and a day wasted at the shop...Just saying, there are simple & logical ways to check it out every year or two.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
I think I mentioned, I was spoiled by 25 years of DOT-5 milspec fluid? (G)

When I went in for the sunshade last week they remarked about the color of the brake fluid and when I pointed out THEY had changed it about 14 months ago, all of a sudden the color didn't matter. I know Audi specs it at two years, which is conservative, but Nissan calls it a "lifetime fluid" and says to just CHECK IT before changing it. Every maker has their own rules.

The reason I bought the testers a year and half ago was that I also figured four years in a coastal state might be "enough". The tester said "Think about it, you've probably got naother year" so I changed it with no urgency. Still, at least in my car, Audi's recommendation for every two years was disproven by the physical testing. Audi's recommendation would have simply doubled the maintenance cost and disposal/pollution, for no reason.

If I could get rid of the ABS system and go back to DOT-5, I'd do it in an instant. Too many systems (and the ESC and AWD "torque braking" certainly are marvelous) playing around with my brakes!

If the $30 tools saved me from $120? $150? procedure and a day wasted at the shop...Just saying, there are simple & logical ways to check it out every year or two.
Local Audi dealer charges $300, and $200 when they have "service special" to flush the brake fluid.

Besides the cost in money and time, the problem of going to a shop is: there is a 50+% chance that your fluid won't be flushed. They just suck out the reservoir and refill with new fluid, obviously due to the "flat-rate" way of how mechanics are paid. If he is super busy that day, guess what he will do. That's why I prefer DIY for simple maintenance like this: $10 Audi OEM fluid. 1 hour of time at my choosing. Of course, I had to ask my wife for a favor to pump the brake.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your wife might appreciate this:
https://www.motiveproducts.com
Horror Freight also sells something that uses an air compressor, but I think even Autozone carries the Motive pressure bottles, might even be a free rental. Of course Amazon sells them too. They come with various attachment kits to fit different brake reservoirs. I first saw the same kind of thing (but metal) at a Ford dealer ages ago. You add new fluid, clamp it onto your reservoir, pump up some pressure, and it pushes in the new fluid while you just have to go around opening and closing the bleed screws.

Takes all the fun out of "Pump, pump, pump, wait, stop, ok, pump again, pump pump..." (G)

I know what you mean about mechanics. I'm reasonably confident that my preferred dealer actually is doing what they charge for--but for simple things where anyone can get distracted and screw up, I'd rather DIY and at least I know who screwed the job up!
Old 05-09-2023, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

@visionguru Can you confirm the bleeding sequence of which brake to bleed 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th?
Old 05-10-2023, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
@visionguru Can you confirm the bleeding sequence of which brake to bleed 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th?
In case you don't response from a four year old post, the process is usually to start with the wheel the furthest from the reservoir, i.e:
  1. Right rear
  2. Left rear
  3. Right front
  4. Left front

Quick Reply: EPB and brake fluid flush