Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended warranty...is $3,673 a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Extended warranty...is $3,673 a good deal?

My 2015 Q5 TDI just went in for its 45K Service. Got a CEL light, turned out to be the AdBlue pump. My wife is a believer in extended warranties. My Audi dealer quoted me $3,673 for 6 years/60,000, from the day I purchase it...covers everything except wear parts and has a $250/occurance fee.

I am not able to do my own repair work, so I’m inclined to purchase this package, but wanted to get some forum feedback. Appreciate all of your input.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
My 2015 Q5 TDI just went in for its 45K Service. Got a CEL light, turned out to be the AdBlue pump. My wife is a believer in extended warranties. My Audi dealer quoted me $3,673 for 6 years/60,000, from the day I purchase it...covers everything except wear parts and has a $250/occurance fee.

I am not able to do my own repair work, so I’m inclined to purchase this package, but wanted to get some forum feedback. Appreciate all of your input.
This is an oft raised question. I think I speak for the majority in saying extended warranties are not a good expense on the whole. Add to this that a TDI already has an extended warranty covering engine and emissions. That said, there are many things one’s spouse is a believer in, that it is easier to go along with than to try to re-educate about.

That said, I’d get prices from a number of dealers, by phone and online, since the coverage is the same. Just make sure you are pricing an Audi brand warranty.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to purchase an extended warranty, solicit bids from at least five Audi dealers via e-mail. Once you get the low bid, go back to your dealer and ask him to beat it. The mark-up on extended warranties is exorbitant. The warranty is good at any dealer so there is no requirement that you purchase it from a specific dealer. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Barraged no this is a really bad way to spend your money.Find a better way to put your wife's mind at ease.These cars are rock solid and the only areas that occasionally present some rare issues are covered by the extended emissions warranty.Spend your money on beer and something nice for your wife.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly agree with you that, in general, the cars are "rock solid", but they are also very expensive to fix if something major does fail. Like any insurance policy, each owner needs to consider their level of risk-aversion and their ability to handle a major repair from their own resources. Additionally, for some the peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty has substantial value.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Having Audi's for almost 20 years and a lot of that time out of warranty, I wouldn't do it. We have had a number of goodwill repairs out of warranty that were silent campaigns to fix known problems. The trick is having a good dealer to work with that you can trust. Of course they are trusting that you buy another Audi from them. Only real full piece of mind is to get a new or newer on with full factory warranty.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks all for your valued input. After much discussion with the wife, we went ahead and purchased it. If the MMI should fail, the cost of repair is $4K. I’ve never purchased an extended warranty, so I’m looking at this as an experiment. Will report any repairs that this warranty covers post 45K factory warranty expiration.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Having Audi's for almost 20 years and a lot of that time out of warranty, I wouldn't do it. We have had a number of goodwill repairs out of warranty that were silent campaigns to fix known problems. The trick is having a good dealer to work with that you can trust. Of course they are trusting that you buy another Audi from them. Only real full piece of mind is to get a new or newer on with full factory warranty.
I agree with you in part because having a car for 20 yrs is to find a trusted and reliable mechanic.
if you have a driveway or garage even better since I used to work on my own car prior to moving to the cooperative apts.
In my situation I can't do any repairs at my parking spot of my cooperative appt so an extended warranty is in order.
I guess when the time comes for me to decide a new car is feasible then I'll turn in my car for a new vehicle.
It's hard finding g a good trusty mechanic nowadays.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Warranties are only offered because they are profitable. Statistically speaking your chances of coming out ahead are against you, by a lot. If this was a Range Rover or a Jaguar I would buy it. The only thing that could break and cost that much is a catastrophic engine/trans failure and it's covered by the factory extended warranty already. I suggest saving your money and put it towards something to make you money.