Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Failed part front bushes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Changed today the 2 arms went for a drive and I have no steering wheel stabilizer faults. Did not change clockspring. Will try to do angle senssor calibration Then reenable tpms coding and remove faults. Go for a ride and report.

Does not seem it was the angle sensor failing however the bushes failing can influence the angle sensor and ESP system. Will do more tests, premature thinking I believe .
Cost €110 for the 2 arms
Labour €30 ( incl. Changing the oil and oil filter)

Total €140
I suppose dealer charges would be higher.

___ update.

Tomorrow probably I will change the slipring because I was going to do it anyway (for ACC retrofit).

But it could also be the slipring failing. Got a stability fault again after starting the car.

Note my airfilter this time was in very good condition due to retrofittimg the air flow screen filter. (The filter swap I do it myself later at home after the oil change).

I am also upgrading my laptop miix 2 11 msata SSD HDD to 250gb (from 120 and I have to do hdd cloning so i have some other things to do), I should have also have done CP removal of radio concert but I forgot about it (this laptop miix 2 11 was only sold to USA right?? it is great as a tablet but as a laptop the worst I had. Yes this is the windows 10 tablet I use with VCP and VCDs diagnostics). However its memory cannot be upgraded and mine came with just 4gb (it is soldered, shame you lenovo).

I am also upgrading my silverstone home theater atx power supply to 450watt (from 300 watt, another USA product), worth showing my silverstone SG06 case HTPC because it is a piece of art. All parts apart from graphics card are same as one used in a laptop including WiFi card but I added external antennas for better reception drilled holes on rear metal plate). Have had it for many years but upgrading it occasionally, now graphics card is hungry for power. This just to have a break from the subject to have a laugh. Might get more responses from IT people.

Slip ringhas failed. Confirmed with VCDs. Still clicks at 2 angles and reading is incorrect at those angles.
That repair didn't cost that much. Very favorable labor rate. How many hours does that represent?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
That repair didn't cost that much. Very favorable labor rate. How many hours does that represent?
1hr 30mins with coffee and smoke break rom the mechanic. He charges not by hour. He works alone and me as an assistant just for my car. I believe 2 people needed for this for removing the arms.

We first did oil and oil filter. We had to remove the engine lower plastic panel.

Then we removed the front wheels. Remove the 2 bolts from the arm (incl ball bearing). Change the part. Insert the bolts and tighten Do the same for the other side.
Reinsert the front wheels and tighten.
Reinstall the lowet plastic panel.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-23-2019 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DennisMitchell (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You make it sound so easy. Great way to get a repair done. Effectively you rented a lift and a mechanic to help you.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
You make it sound so easy. Great way to get a repair done. Effectively you rented a lift and a mechanic to help you.
Yes correct.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

apoelistas Yes that's the way it's done.But you already know that ! Cheers, must be good driving weather on Cyprus this time of year.Head for the beach.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
apoelistas Yes that's the way it's done.But you already know that ! Cheers, must be good driving weather on Cyprus this time of year.Head for the beach.
No worries Glad that this was sorted out.
Not today am afraid need to remove slipring to finish off the work, dont have other time to do that apart from saturday and sunday.
New slipring original with latest firmware supporting ACC too.
SW Bolt.

Part was purchased for ACC retrofit for the unknown future.
My wife will kill be. Took one of the rooms (was play room then became office then it became Q5 /CR-V parts room) and made it a storage room for car parts. Promised when I finish 3 zone will give it back and transfer parts to the attic. Not something I feel comfortable doing.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-23-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is life. I have now removed the airbag and the steering wheel. Now I have to remove the 2 cowls. Glad I had an adaptor for using the tripple square in order to connect to my torque wrench.
To remove the top cowl remove the rear trim under the instrument cluster. Then use flat head screw driver at the front.

To remove the lower cowl two hex screws at the front and one at the bottom where the larger hole is.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gk1 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You need a very small hex bit to remove the lower screw. Without this you cannot remove the clockspring. I was lucky that I haven a small hex bit kit I guess (for my laptops) + 2 clips you have to undo at the top rear.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-23-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Few comments:
Not hard to perform but you need the proper tools
SW bolt Torque 30Nm + 90 degrees
You need to go for a ride in order for the cruise control to be recognised. I was getting engine faults. After the ride, lock car wait for brake light to switch off, then open car erase faults.
You need to perform steering angle calibration according to ross tech directions.
I have reenabled TPMS.

Now I have latest clock spring firmware 0005 which I will add to my VCDs list.

The 2009 Q5 comes with a lot of suprises. HID replaced, slipring replaced, wishbone arm guides replaced. What next?? This month I am getting lot of work done to my Q5 and these are not retrofits but parts failing.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-23-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Impressive work, I’d trust you my car for this kind of repairs without a doubt, you should consider a side business unit you know, you’ve got the skills

Quick Reply: Failed part front bushes.