Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First Audi: 2016 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default First Audi: 2016 SQ5

Greetings everyone. We just bought our first Audi and are excited excited to join the family. Glacier White with black nappa. It is beautiful. First question is in regards to tires. Has anyone here used Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tires in 265/40/21? I know stock width is 255 but they don't come in that size. The winters here in Oregon are mild for the most part so dedicated snow tires are not critical unless skiing.

My second question is why does the Nav say that google maps is not active? Do I need to subscribe to a service for it to work?? Thanks in advance. Pics to follow!

Matt
Old 10-30-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the family! I've had my '14 SQ5 almost 2 years and they are great to own and even better to drive. I don't have a perspective on the Pirelli all season tires since I'm in Texas where I replaced the OEM Dunlops with Pirelli PZeros which definitely improved the ride and performance.

I have not had that issue with Google maps not displaying at all. I've had issues with Google Maps being out of sync with the actual streets on the map so I stopped using it. It was disturbing to see myself on the Navi display driving on grass when I'm actually driving on a legitimate road.

Other than that, enjoy your ownership experience with your SQ5!!!! The good definitely outweighs minor issues like Google maps.😉
Old 10-30-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
Greetings everyone. We just bought our first Audi and are excited excited to join the family. Glacier White with black nappa. It is beautiful. First question is in regards to tires. Has anyone here used Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tires in 265/40/21? I know stock width is 255 but they don't come in that size. The winters here in Oregon are mild for the most part so dedicated snow tires are not critical unless skiing.

My second question is why does the Nav say that google maps is not active? Do I need to subscribe to a service for it to work?? Thanks in advance. Pics to follow!

Matt
google maps isn't free so go into your menu and turn it off.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

quite a few have gone with the Verde all-seasons. they will fit without spacers I believe.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the 265/40/21 Verde All Seasons on my 2014 SQ5. Have put about 1400 miles on them so far primarily due to a long road trip. They replaced the summer tires that came on the car when I bought it about 5 months ago. Nothing negative to report except for slight decrease in highway MPG. From 26 and change to 25 as calculated by the trip computer, not actual measurement. Don't know if this is a result of slightly different tire diameter or increased rolling resistance from the new tires.
As a side note, I bought the tires from Amazon which were at least $20 cheaper per tire than Tire Rack.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mwlmd

Matt
Tire grading is voluntary and they can vary by up to an inch even if labeled as the same size. Every tire manufacturer measures section width differently but usually a 255 is 10.2" and a 265 is 10.7" wide; I doubt half an inch of sidewall width will make a difference.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The preferred solution is normally to go with a summer tire, then buy a cheaper winter set of wheels with 19's that ride smoother on winter roads anyway and protect the good wheels from potholes, salt and crud.

New tires have a larger diameter, so non-GPS speed/mileage will normally drop a little. Also full tread thickness may have slightly higher rolling resistance as it makes the tire stiffer. Softer rolls better normally.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you for all the replies. I am leaning towards 19” dedicated winter set. Will likely go with Scorpion winters. Now which rims to buy?!?!

First day home!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

go cheap with winter rims they are going to get trashed anyhow. Check out the used/for sale boards on here and audizine there are usually people selling OEM rims for cheap, i'd snag one of those deals especially if you can p/u locally and avoid shipping costs. Scorpions are a great winter tire, that's what I have mounted on my OEM 20" rims for winter.

Last edited by DonnyK; 10-31-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey check out PMC Tires here in Quebec.Keep in mind your US (I assume) $ is worth 30% more here.They have good wheel choices and lots of good tire choices.No affiliation, just where I get my stuff.

Quick Reply: First Audi: 2016 SQ5