Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Front Seat Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers seat has about a "hair" amount of play and develops a very small wiggle after about 20 minmutes of sitting in it. Of course the dealer noticed when I brought it in, but not the next day.
Chris
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Man
My drivers seat has about a "hair" amount of play and develops a very small wiggle after about 20 minmutes of sitting in it. Of course the dealer noticed when I brought it in, but not the next day.
Chris
Mine has had the same thing since I bought it. They have replaced the seat frame once, which corrected the corner to corner wobble, but the new frame slides forwards and backwards when coming to a stop. When they replace the faulty steering column next week they are replacing the seat frame again. A regional tech from Audi of America came to inspect my Q5 and agreed the seats shouldn't do that.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nemker
My rattle was the passenger seat belt clip. The red push button would rattle on certain bumps.
This is crazy--but I had that too for a while. Then--it disappeared several months ago and hasn't returned since.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Chris
Mine does the same thing, in fact, it's the only complaint I'm going to express to the dealer at my 15,000 maintenance. Going around corners the seat shifts minutely, side-to-side. It's only the seat insert (the leather part), not the entire frame.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bruflu
Mine does the same thing, in fact, it's the only complaint I'm going to express to the dealer at my 15,000 maintenance. Going around corners the seat shifts minutely, side-to-side. It's only the seat insert (the leather part), not the entire frame.
Sorry--I meant the seat belt clip.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My relatively new Q5 (ordered Jan 2012 received April 2012) has this issue. It's very noticeable and happens almost 100% of the time. Pressing on the seat back with my right hand makes the sound go away. I've tried messing with the head rest and that doesn't seem to be the issue. It will be my chief complaint when I take it in for its 5K service.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had mine in for the passenger seat rattle. Dealer thought it was coming from something in the back of the seat. I can duplicate the noise by dinging the seat back with my right fist. Also have annoying rattle in the front passenger side seat belt latch. So far they have not been able to fix it.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
I've had mine in for the passenger seat rattle. Dealer thought it was coming from something in the back of the seat. I can duplicate the noise by dinging the seat back with my right fist. Also have annoying rattle in the front passenger side seat belt latch. So far they have not been able to fix it.
I had the same noise on my passenger seat. I could also reproduce it by banging on the seat back (at a certain back position) and its severity varied with temperature. I finally managed to fix it by inserting a piece of rubber near where the seat back was joined onto the seat. It took me quite awhile to find the right spot to insert the rubber. It looks like when the seat back was bolted onto the seat, it was tensioned such that bumps with particular magnitude caused it to vibrate a little so it hit the steel tubing within the seat at a certain frequency, causing the rattle. I have to say this car is the first car that I've owned that have rattling seats, I think Audi's quality control really needs some work.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tigerking
...... I finally managed to fix it by inserting a piece of rubber near where the seat back was joined onto the seat. It took me quite awhile to find the right spot to insert the rubber......

Oh man, I have the same problem and been trying to fix it. Can you like take a picture and show me/us where you have inserted the rubber? It's driving me nuts hearing the rattle, especially I have at least 90 minutes driving time per day.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

at first I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue, but reading thru this thread... wow, I will probably try to fix mine using that blue painters tape and see if the noise will go away, sucks but **** happens.

Quick Reply: Front Seat Rattle