Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Front Seat Rattle

Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my new Q5 in May and have been wondering what that small, but irritating rattle is. I couldn't figure out why it didn't happen when someone was in the passenger seat. I tried putting my hand on the headrest and seatback and that took care of it.

I don't think that I should have to fix it myself, but I'm not sure how to present it to the dealer when I take it in for my 5K service. I don't want to have to go through the whole discovery process with them. Sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I have tried taking off the headrest and the rattle still shows up when I slightly tap or put pressure on the seatback. I am now sure it is not the headrest problem. But how do I fix the problem? Anyone has this problem?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

It could be the guide rail for the headrest... but some other folks have experienced slight play in the frame of the seat.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo33
Well, I have tried taking off the headrest and the rattle still shows up when I slightly tap or put pressure on the seatback. I am now sure it is not the headrest problem. But how do I fix the problem? Anyone has this problem?
I did, and it wasn't the headrest. It sounds a bit bizarre, and crude, but one day the rattle pushed me just too far, so I punched the passenger seat in the center of the back from the front several times, and believe it or not, it hasn't rattled since, and nothing appears to be broken. This was several months ago, and it hasn't reappeared.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 08-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Punch the seat huh? umm... that's not exactly the fix I am looking for...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Punch the seat huh? umm... that's not exactly the fix I am looking for...
Frankly, it wasn't the fix I was looking for either, but after two months of that incessant rattle, I took what I could get. The dealer had looked at it three times, and it was scheduled for a fourth. I was to to the point where I was looking into just buying a new front seat to have it put in, so, even if this was unconventional, I'm pleased it stopped the damned rattle.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I quess I will never have a passenger seat rattle with the way my now 3 year old son likes to kick the back of the seat. ( I usually move the seat forward and take off his shoes to keep my sanity)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got my 2012 back today from the dealer for 15k maintenance and also asked them to look into a rattle that has developed from the passenger seat area. I had tracked the noise down to something in the seatbelt mechanism on the passenger side pillar area.

They replaced the top hinge of the rear passenger side door. They claim that was the cause of the rattle and my Q5 was the 3rd they have seen this problem with. I have only had it back a few hours but so far I have not heard a peep. Need to give it a few days before I call it 100% solved but I was pleased they were able to reproduce the problem and do something about it.

Not sure if this is the same problem anyone else is experiencing but thought I would share just in case these are not isolated issues.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh man, I have the same problem and been trying to fix it. Can you like take a picture and show me/us where you have inserted the rubber? It's driving me nuts hearing the rattle, especially I have at least 90 minutes driving time per day.
OK. I've take a few shots of where I inserted the rubber (where the red arrow is pointing). If you slide your hand down that gap (the gap is surprisingly large), you can feel the steel tube of the seat frame and I jammed the rubber sheet around the tube area. You may need to try a few different positions to get to the right spot.

There seems to be quite a few different areas at which rattles can occur based on the numerous posts, so if you can determine that the rattle comes from the center console side of the seat back joint area (note that my car is right hand drive in case you wonder why my passenger seat is on the wrong side), my fix may work for you.
Attached Images    
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default As bizarre as this answer is, it worked.

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I did, and it wasn't the headrest. It sounds a bit bizarre, and crude, but one day the rattle pushed me just too far, so I punched the passenger seat in the center of the back from the front several times, and believe it or not, it hasn't rattled since, and nothing appears to be broken. This was several months ago, and it hasn't reappeared.
I recently picked up a 2013 A4 and this rattle has been driving me bananas for the last 5 months. Got the tires balanced found out that 3 of the 4 rims were a bit bent. Anyways that’s another story.

For the fix I took a slightly more graceful approach and used some frim palm presses. I found that just below the top seat seam slightly left of center was the spot to press. After a few presses getting ever so more aggressive I heard a plasticy click. Presto. Whatever was rattling inside the seat seated itself into the no rattle zone. Some firm hits to the side of the seat to confirm no rattle.

I have not had a chance to take it for a drive. If the rattle comes back I’ll let you know.

See picture below.

The spot I pressed firmly.