Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fuel Injector Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Problem

During my 5k service I have learned that leaking fuel injector is the cause of the problems I have been having while starting my Q5. From day one my 2010 Prestige S-Line would fail to start about one out of every ten times. By fail to start I mean that the engine would attempt to turn over and then it would stop with the accessory power on. Other times it would attempt to turn over and would hang up or sputter at very low RPMs until the gas petal was depressed.

I had taken my Q5 in once before specifically for this problem and they had not identified a problem. I am happy that they found the cause, but worried about future maintenance problems....glad I bought the extended warranty I am.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dahwee
During my 5k service I have learned that leaking fuel injector is the cause of the problems I have been having while starting my Q5. From day one my 2010 Prestige S-Line would fail to start about one out of every ten times. By fail to start I mean that the engine would attempt to turn over and then it would stop with the accessory power on. Other times it would attempt to turn over and would hang up or sputter at very low RPMs until the gas petal was depressed.

I had taken my Q5 in once before specifically for this problem and they had not identified a problem. I am happy that they found the cause, but worried about future maintenance problems....glad I bought the extended warranty I am.
They should have done a pressure test the 1st time you bought the car there. Fuel injectors do fail sometimes, what grade and brand of gas do you use?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the same problem I've been having. Started around 750 miles.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2773446

Mine is in the shop now. There isn't a bulletin out but I told them several people have had the issue and the cause was the injectors so they're supposed to check it out. Hopefully they find something.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

My engine check light came on this morning while it was sputtering after a cold start. It's been doing the same thing from time to time as stated above. Good to know what may be causing it. I'll call my Audi dealer for a service tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the dealer called and said two injectors were leaking. Should get it back tomorrow and hopefully that'll be the end of it. Couldn't adjust the heated seats though.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Q has just started that and it is about 400mi from the 5k service. I'll address it then and tell them exactly what to check for.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Experiencing the same symptoms with my '10 Q5 built in October 2009. The problem first surfaced at 350+/- miles, 3,700 miles now. 1 in 10 ignition attempts sounds about right. I will address during the 5k service and provide subsequent update.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to follow up...After having my fuel injectors replaced by the dealership my Q5 has been running great. I've put on about another 2,000 miles since the service.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dahwee
Just to follow up...After having my fuel injectors replaced by the dealership my Q5 has been running great. I've put on about another 2,000 miles since the service.
Good to hear that Audi solve your problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
They should have done a pressure test the 1st time you bought the car there. Fuel injectors do fail sometimes, what grade and brand of gas do you use?
Depends on where I run out of gas. I dont have a preference. I put in 85-87 octane because the service department specifically told me not to use premium octanes.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Problem