Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Ridiculous Service Issue - Can this be right ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous Service Issue - Can this be right ?

So I've posted I bought a brand new leftover '17 SQ5 about 3 months ago, which now has 2700 miles on it. I am enjoying the vehicle and have no serious,complaints. This is my first Audi.

I took it to the dealer last week to have all season tires mounted as it came with the 21" summer tires. I bought Pirelli Scorpions which fit perfectly.

While the vehicle was there the dealer calls me to tell me I'm due for my first service. I say thats impossible as I only have 2700 miles. The service advisor then tells me the vehicle was actually first officially prepped and offered for sale 12 months ago and Audi advises the first oil change at 10,000 miles or one year.

At this point I say again I've only had the car 3 months and if the oil went bad sitting on the lot for 9 months they should have put fresh oil In which would have been good for a full year before I bought it. The advisor said thats not how it works and that Audi provides the first service free to get the break-in oil out of the motor whenever that occurs according to their specifications. I once again argued they should not be selling me a $64,000 vehicle, telling me the first service is free, and then 3 months later telling me the oil they sold me in the vehicle is no good.

The service advisor would not agree to see my point and I went ahead and had the oil changed using my first free service. I actually planned to do an oil change at 5000 miles so I'm actually glad the year old oil is out of there. But I planned to do that myself rather than use my first free service.

In 40 years of buying over 30 new cars from every major manufacturer I've never been told the maintenance schedule starts when the dealer placed the car on their lot for sale rather than when the vehicle was first sold. I have the number for Audi customer service and will call them about this. Honestly, I am so disturbed by this nickle-and-dime attitude I'm pretty sure this will be my last Audi no matter how,much I like the SQ5. Just wondering . . . am I missing something here or is this just how it works with Audi ? Any comments would be appreciated. This is not how BMW treats me. Thank you

Craig
Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDCam
So I've posted I bought a brand new leftover '17 SQ5 about 3 months ago, which now has 2700 miles on it. I am enjoying the vehicle and have no serious,complaints. This is my first Audi.

I took it to the dealer last week to have all season tires mounted as it came with the 21" summer tires. I bought Pirelli Scorpions which fit perfectly.

While the vehicle was there the dealer calls me to tell me I'm due for my first service. I say thats impossible as I only have 2700 miles. The service advisor then tells me the vehicle was actually first officially prepped and offered for sale 12 months ago and Audi advises the first oil change at 10,000 miles or one year.

At this point I say again I've only had the car 3 months and if the oil went bad sitting on the lot for 9 months they should have put fresh oil In which would have been good for a full year before I bought it. The advisor said thats not how it works and that Audi provides the first service free to get the break-in oil out of the motor whenever that occurs according to their specifications. I once again argued they should not be selling me a $64,000 vehicle, telling me the first service is free, and then 3 months later telling me the oil they sold me in the vehicle is no good.

The service advisor would not agree to see my point and I went ahead and had the oil changed using my first free service. I actually planned to do an oil change at 5000 miles so I'm actually glad the year old oil is out of there. But I planned to do that myself rather than use my first free service.

In 40 years of buying over 30 new cars from every major manufacturer I've never been told the maintenance schedule starts when the dealer placed the car on their lot for sale rather than when the vehicle was first sold. I have the number for Audi customer service and will call them about this. Honestly, I am so disturbed by this nickle-and-dime attitude I'm pretty sure this will be my last Audi no matter how,much I like the SQ5. Just wondering . . . am I missing something here or is this just how it works with Audi ? Any comments would be appreciated. This is not how BMW treats me. Thank you

Craig
I think you have a legitimate beef with the dealer. Kick it up to Audi of American and look for another dealer. I'd also like someone with more knowledge about synthetic oils to enlighten me as to why oil sitting in a crankcase of a brand new car that isn't being driven deteriorates while oil in a bottle doesn't.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

and Audi advises the first oil change at 10,000 miles or one year.
Craig, this is true/correct. The mfr says the oil should be changed every 12 months (or sooner) to maintain the new car warranty.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would contact Audi and ask for the "first service" to be reinstated for no charge for your next oil change.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig
You bought a leftover car and the service intervals will actually go by when the car was produced since that is when the new oil was put into the engine.

I am not sure what kind of cars you have been buying for last 40 years but most modern German cars have been following this logic for about last 20 years or so.

The oil in your engine is good for 12 months and dealer has no obligation to change it, say at 9 months when the oil is still good. Take a look at what service is needed and when in your MMI screen.

Last year I bought a left over 5 series and it needed service just like your car within 4 months when the car only had 1500 miles. The good thing is that BMW covers all scheduled maintenance.

Having said all of that, your dealer should still comp you a free oil change since 1st service is nothing but an oil change and tire rotation on the SQ.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...I bought a brand new leftover '17 SQ5 about 3 months ago, which now has 2700 miles on it. I am enjoying the vehicle and have no serious,complaints... Any comments would be appreciated...Craig
I fail to see any problem with what the dealer told you or the service they provided.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree with ZCD.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Agreed w/ the sense of just change it anyway. I always want to do it by 5K, and prefer more like 2.5 or 3K to start. BTW, pre-2017 the first oil service was at 5K anyway, not 10K. The whole service schedule then got shifted 5K out starting in 2017. Not sure if it was technically driven or some financial gaming.

More serious question actually. Are you 100% sure of your in service date for the 4/50 warranty purposes? Did they fill it out in the service/maintenance booklet? As in, is it your purchase date as you would think? Hopefully so, but if not a yet bigger issue. I actually ran into this oddity some with my Q5 on Euro delivery where they started the Audi Connect and Sirius prematurely--even before by delivery date in Germany and of course neither one works in Europe to begin with. Took some back and forth with Audi USA to get the relevant dates and service periods straightened out.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-20-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with dealer! The oil needed to be changed, whether they you pay or them is kind of beside the point. You need to do the right thing by your vehicle. I have owned Bmws in different states and EVERY Single dealer sucked. Any Audi or Mercedes I have ever owned.....excellent dealer service always!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can appreciate the OP point of view on this. It's a tough pill to swallow shelling out $64k for a new vehicle and then finding out 2700 miles (3 months) later it already needs an oil change. Chalk it up to the amount you saved buying a leftover 17' compared to a new 18' I guess.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous Service Issue - Can this be right ?