Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

German Engineering isn't all its cracked up to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
Pretty sure the RDX does not have SH-AWD which has been a complaint by some auto reviewers.
I think you are correct. even 2018 RDX comes with simple AWD (same as CR-V)
For this reason I am canceling RDX as a Q5 competitor. RDX is more like a better looking Honda CR-V with same technology.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Well the RDX does have a V6, better trans, better warr, way more standard features, better sound proofing and I'm sure other things.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shokhead
Well the RDX does have a V6, better trans, better warr, way more standard features, better sound proofing and I'm sure other things.
not better than the Audi 7 speed s-tronic (550Nm capability if I remember well). V6 is heavy, I would be happy with 2.0T, 211-255 hp.
The standard features is an issue with Audi (at least in Europe they are). Proofing in terms of quality should not be an issue with any Audi made in or after 2014. However with Audi the system is online (Odis) and one needs to get educated regarding ERWIN TPIs, erwin firmware updates/svms, at least with VCDs which is best for coding(for more sophisticated users there are other tools which have other advantages). The firmware updates are not automatic with Audi online system even the dealer can not update without reading the TPIs, so you have to have a particular problem or for the client to be informed regarding a particular TPI/SVM. So you need to get educated if you want to keep up to date. I bought a used Q5 with low mileage which was never firmware updated in 7 years, full service history at Audi dealer.

RDX/CR-V have a similar site (Acura vs Honda), in contrast their firmware update is automatic with their diagnostic HDS program. It has its advantages however not a lot of support is given in terms of better technologies in later MYs, unlike Audi.

Honda/Acura does not publish any maintenance manuals or electrical diagrams or electronic part catalogue unlike Audi.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-20-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Not really,
Most can be sorted out, not serious retrofits skills are required.
Audi in Europe has the best retrofit support. My Q5 is the best example.

My wife has the forth gen Honda CR-V EX-L (with all options).
Q5 has firmware support, CR-V has minimal support just for fixes, Q5 control units are more advanced e.g. DRLs can be disabled with a radio option, or oil engine level and battery level on screen as radio options,, oil temperature on instrument cluster, Has audi drive select, options can be enabled with VCDs coding, Q5 AWD is more advanced than pseudo CR-V AWD, engine has high performance, transmission is high tech (audi).

I would not compare uneven technologies. However Acura RDX might be a good alternative if in USA (If it fomes with SH-AWD)

​​​​
I have both a 2014 Q5, and 2014 Honda CR-V, EX-L. Family likes the Honda better, the Q5 has 12K miles on it the, the CR-V 42K miles.
They both have their Pros and Cons.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
not better than the 7 speed s-tronic (550Nm capability if I remember well) V6 is heavy. I would be happy with 2.0T, 211-255 hp.
The standard features is an issue with Audi. Proofing in terms of quality should not be an issue with any Audi made after 2014. However with audi the the system is online and one needs to get educated regarding ERWIN TPIs, erwin firmware updates/svms, at least with VCDs which is best for coding(for more sophisticated users there are other tools which have other advantages). The firmwares are not automatic even with the dealer. So you need to get educated if you want to keep up ti date. I bought a used Q5 which was never firmware updated, full service history at audi dealer.

RDX has a similar site, in contrast their firmware update is automatic with their diagnostic HDS program. It has its advantages however not a lot of support is given in terms of better technologies in later MYs, unlike Audi.

Honda/Acura does not publish any maintenance manuals or electrical diagrams or electronic part catalogue unlike Audi.
I was talking about the RDX or CR-V.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

me too RDX or CR-V but vs Q5

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-19-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
Now that I have your attention ... Here are a few of my observations of dumb design ideas after owning my first "luxury" car for a month, the 2017 Audi Q5 Premium Plus with Technology Package and S-Line package (bought used with 8600 miles on it). I'm coming from years of owning GM/Chrysler vehicles, and we still own a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country and 2011 Kia Sportage. This Q5 drives like a dream -- has more than enough power, is a very quiet, comfortable ride, and I'm loving every minute of it. I imagine I'll own this car for many, many years to come. That said, there are quite a few things that are just downright dumb about the Audi Q5. (If there is a workaround to any of these, please share in a reply.)

1) Rear hatch -- can't manually open it even if the car is unlocked. Well, it will open if the key is in my pocket, but often the car is unlocked and someone without the key wants to open the rear hatch! Several people have about pulled their arms off attempting this (myself included).

2) Rear hatch -- can't close the thing EXCEPT for the button on the tailgate door (driver's door button and remote will not close it!) Seems rather stiff to close manually -- I must admit I haven't even tried a manual closure yet. Hope the hatch button never goes out!

3) No "headlights on" indicator display on the dashboard. Seriously? I've had this on every make of vehicle for as long as I can remember. This is important because state law requires headlights are on when wipers are on. Kinda makes the "auto" headlight setting pointless if I have to manually make sure to turn on my headlights every time it is raining or its getting a little darker out and I want the lights on -- I can never know for sure in auto mode.

4) I set one of the three home buttons (or whatever they are called) to open my garage door. IT ONLY WORKS WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING. So if pull in my garage and park, shut off the car, then try to close the garage door from inside the car (which used to be my normal procedure), I can't close the garage door. Now I have to park in the garage, THEN close the overhead door, THEN shut off the car, which is kinda stupid cuz now I'll trap more auto exhaust. Not to mention if I want to open the door from inside the car when I go to leave, which I like to do in cold weather (I have dogs that stay in the garage, so want to keep as much heat in as possible), I have to start the car FIRST then can open the overhead door, making sure to get as much toxic fumes in my garage as possible. Thx, Audi! My wife's Town & Country has these home buttons, garage door works just fine even if the car is off.

5) Some of the accessories do not work if the car is not running. Radio/MMI works for a while (5-10 min?), or until driver's door is opened. But the power sockets shut off immediately, so if I'm charging my phone, that stops when the car stops, even if I stay in the vehicle for a while. Again, reference my wife's T&C. Those will operate until the driver's door is opened. Can't recall right now if power windows work or not with car off, but I think they don't. All other manufactures they do until the driver's door is opened.

6) Dual Climate Control. If the passenger adjusts their side, then it automatically takes it off of singular control (which it should), but the only way to reactivate singular control (left side controlling entire car temperature again) is to navigate through the MMI and reactivate it. All other vehicles I've driven with this feature have a "dual" button where it can return to singular control with the simple push of a button. Audi has two "Auto" buttons on their climate control system, one by each temperate dial, about what, 4 inches apart. Why put two "Auto" buttons? It's redundant. Dumb design. Put a "dual" button in place of the passenger's "Auto" button and make life simpler!

7) No engine oil dipstick. Really? I've read on this forum you can buy one, even though Audi will tell you they don't have them, but on a $50,000 automobile I shouldn't have to.

8) Audi expects toddlers to drive? The overhead sunglasses holder will only hold child's sized sunglasses. My sunglasses fit in both my Kia and T&C overhead holder, but they don't fit in the Audi.

9) Cruise control is on a little stick right next to the turn signal stick. I've already flashed my brights 3x at oncoming traffic at night while attempting to activate the cruise control. I know this may just be something to get used to, but all the cars I've driven have cruise control on the steering wheel face, not on a little stick. Did I mention this stick is right next to the turn signal/brights stick? Even though I'm aware of this and been working with it for a month, I still flashed my brights by accident just last week.

10) Has a winter package with heated seats, but no heated steering wheel? My wife's T&C has a similar package, but has a heated wheel, which is VERY nice when you are driving without gloves in the winter. So the soccer mom car bests Audi once again.

There are a couple other things I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at the moment, as I thought I had a mental list of about a dozen annoyances. I would expect a couple minor annoyances changing car brands, but certainly not this many moving up to a "luxury" car. Again, this Q5 is lotsa fun to drive. Quality is definitely a step up from the 2011 Kia I was driving (and now gave to my daughter). But there are so many little things that make you wonder what they were thinking (or why they were not thinking).
LOL!!!! I have noticed the same items on my '14 SQ5 and they are definitely head shakers, especially the home link buttons only working when the car is running. But coming from a '15 Lexus IS F Sport, the SQ5 is such a great vehicle that I have already forgiven Audi for these engineering snafus.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sistrunk05
LOL!!!! I have noticed the same items on my '14 SQ5 and they are definitely head shakers, especially the home link buttons only working when the car is running. But coming from a '15 Lexus IS F Sport, the SQ5 is such a great vehicle that I have already forgiven Audi for these engineering snafus.
I was thinking at one time about a Lexus IS F Sport but ended up with my 14 SQ5. Something about the center area where the audio and stuff are just didn't look good to me. Car drove nice.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At one point I was really considering an IS F, but it was a little small for the family and wifey would not sign off on the deal. All that said, the SQ5 is the best of both worlds.... practical and fast.😎
Old 11-19-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You mean practical and faster!

Quick Reply: German Engineering isn't all its cracked up to be