Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Good Deal or So So Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal or So So Deal?

Hi All,

Long story short, i've always leased vehicles in the past for my business. Now, as our family grows, we are thinking of buying a car outright and driving it for quite sometime. I found a 2014 Q5 3.0T with 72,000 miles. They are asking 23K, which i think it alittle high for the mileage. The plus side, the car has everything we want in a Q5 sport seats, blind spot monitoring, MMI, 5 spoke wheels, and is an S-line.

Ive never owned a car over 50K, so kind of concerned. Ive done some research on here, that the 3.0T engines are pretty good. Once you hit 100K you need to worry about the timing chain and tensioner...correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious to hear from other 3.0T owners and anyone who has had experience with the higher mileage cars. I was looking at maintenance cost in general but not much on the 30.0 engine, more about the 2.0T.

Thanks in advanced!
Old 04-06-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the water pump is known to leak. Almost 50k on ours and it just started leaking. Dealer wants just over $800 to fix. Indie shop want just over $600. Over then that issue, we love it!
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want an opinion of a deal here is what you do. Go on cars.com, iseecars.com, and autotrader and search similar cars across the entire country. Sort lowest to highest and check pricing. You can tell pretty quick how well a car is priced.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're thinking of keeping the Q for a long time then I would buy one with much lower mileage. Fixing Audi's is expensive. As every mechanic I've ever known has told me, Audi's are great cars, just get rid of it before the warranty is up. Which is what I always do. If you're looking for an SUV to keep for a while, I would buy a Japanese one. They are way more reliable and don't cost a lot to fix.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
If you're thinking of keeping the Q for a long time then I would buy one with much lower mileage. Fixing Audi's is expensive. As every mechanic I've ever known has told me, Audi's are great cars, just get rid of it before the warranty is up. Which is what I always do. If you're looking for an SUV to keep for a while, I would buy a Japanese one. They are way more reliable and don't cost a lot to fix.
I pretty much completely disagree with this. OP did not mention what s/he is looking for, what is important to her/him in a car. S/He certainly didn’t say “I am choosing between an Audi and a Subarotasan, the thing I care most about is avoiding costly repairs.”

The 3.0 engine car has held up quite well. The price does not sound too off. As someone else said, do some online comparisons. The Q5 is a great car that remains a pleasure to operate. Check to see if there is an independent shop in your area that specializes in German cars, and be sure to budget some money for maintenance and repairs, best of luck!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
I pretty much completely disagree with this. OP did not mention what s/he is looking for, what is important to her/him in a car. S/He certainly didn’t say “I am choosing between an Audi and a Subarotasan, the thing I care most about is avoiding costly repairs.”

The 3.0 engine car has held up quite well. The price does not sound too off. As someone else said, do some online comparisons. The Q5 is a great car that remains a pleasure to operate. Check to see if there is an independent shop in your area that specializes in German cars, and be sure to budget some money for maintenance and repairs, best of luck!
Well, excuse me for saying anything bad about an Audi! The OP did mention something about repairs but either way I stand by my opinion that Audi's are not that reliable and cost a fortune to maintain over a long period of time. Most German car owners I've known all think their cars are reliable but they always seem to be in the shop. That's why I get rid of mine before the issues start. Let someone else deal with the problems.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$23,000 for a '14 3.0 with 72,000 miles is overpriced.

Keep looking. Or, offer far less... I wouldn't worry about durability on a 3.0 at all, and really, the Q5 is solid performer overall.

As with any German Luxury Brand, if you need to replace something down the road, parts will higher priced than the same "Chevy" Part. Do keep that in mind.

Include a search for a '13 too ( First year of the 3.0 ) with the lowest possible miles you can find.

Being a year older will bring down the asking price a bit, but essentially, the Q5 went unchanged from '13 to '17.

The 3.0 Q5 is a blast to drive, so finding one with lower miles might take some time for one to hit the market, or you may need to expand your search geographically.

Happy Hunting on your search for 3.0 Q5 - Keep in mind also... Everybody in the Family will be fighting for who gets to drive it..
Old 04-07-2019, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twista616
Hi All,

Long story short, i've always leased vehicles in the past for my business. Now, as our family grows, we are thinking of buying a car outright and driving it for quite sometime. I found a 2014 Q5 3.0T with 72,000 miles. They are asking 23K, which i think it alittle high for the mileage. The plus side, the car has everything we want in a Q5 sport seats, blind spot monitoring, MMI, 5 spoke wheels, and is an S-line.

Ive never owned a car over 50K, so kind of concerned. Ive done some research on here, that the 3.0T engines are pretty good. Once you hit 100K you need to worry about the timing chain and tensioner...correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious to hear from other 3.0T owners and anyone who has had experience with the higher mileage cars. I was looking at maintenance cost in general but not much on the 30.0 engine, more about the 2.0T.

Thanks in advanced!
Check prices all over the country in one click with http://www.autotempest.com
I am sure you can find exactly what you want at the best price. We got ours from a local lux car dealer with a warranty. No repairs except for one lightbulb . Audi Warranty to boot. Good hunting. https://www.autotempest.com/
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the responses. Essentially, we would want to keep the car for about 5 years. I would drive it now, then my wife will drive it when her lease is up. I have been on every sight possible...originally looking for an SQ5, but can't find anything solid under 28K. The search continues, but i'll throw them a low ball and see what happens. Might consider the a TDI as well.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

28k going to get high mileage. Considering selling my 14 SQ. With only 24k miles the price will be 30 something for sure.

Quick Reply: Good Deal or So So Deal?