Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Good Locksmiths in the CT/RI/NY/NJ area

Old 06-20-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Locksmiths in the CT/RI/NY/NJ area

Hi guys,

I went to RI the other day and got robbed, they took everything, now I have a problem, I currently only have one key(with comfort entry), do you guys know a good locksmith I can go to make a copy of it? I called few dealerships and I usually get around 500$ for a key

I seen some keys on eBay that go for 75$ e.g.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Audi-8...53.m1438.l2649

are they any good?

any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I thought ONLY the dealership could create replacement keys for these newer cars...
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you still have the plastic emergency key that comes with the car? And gets used with the "fob" that's clipped onto the side in the glove box? That key, all by itself, at least gets you access to the car. With the "fob" from the glove box, it will get you started and running.

The problem is that even if you find a local locksmith to cut the key, someone needs to *remove* the old key code from the vehicle computer (if they got your ID, they know what the keys go to and where to find it) as well as program the new one into it. The locksmiths who claim they can do this are somewhat vague. The dealers of course don't want to deal with third-party supplied fobs. Yes, it is ludicrous.

I'd suggest using Google or Google Maps to search for a local locksmith who specializes in cars. Then ask, flat out, if they can do the whole process, including programming in the car. If they say yes, they ought to know what fobs they can work with. I saw a place online offering the fobs for $45 with a referral to local locksmiths, but the local guy never returned phone calls. So much for reliability.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

In order for the "security code" to be activated the dealer has to put your car online with Ingolstadt.Nowadays I'm sure there's some hacker who's figured this out.Likely some 400 lb.guy in his mother's basement !
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
In order for the "security code" to be activated the dealer has to put your car online with Ingolstadt.Nowadays I'm sure there's some hacker who's figured this out.Likely some 400 lb.guy in his mother's basement !
Exactly, it's called the SKC (secret key code) from the Audi Germany servers to get into the security system . But, there are ways with underground black boxes to extract that information from the car and reprogram for the new key that locksmiths make This is how they steal Audi's that don't have the Advance Key option. They just look at the VIN# dash area through the windshield, write it down, you can get a key made with a generic chip from that VIN# knowing the correct underground people. They then come back some night, open your door, plug a black box into the OBDII port, extract the SKC info and reprogram the new key chip with ease, car gone!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also missing a key and was going the route your considering.
I ordered and received the same key you see on Ebay. It was in like new condition and looked identical in every way. I contacted between 8-10 local and not so local auto locksmiths. The 5-6 that did return my calls were not able to do a late model Audi keys.
I went as far as to bring the key to my dealer. $155 to reprogram it, but they stated it was already paired with a vin and could not be done. I sent the key back for a refund, and sit now seeing what else can be done.

let us know what you accomplish if you decide to go this route. Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Samsdad
I am also missing a key and was going the route your considering.
I ordered and received the same key you see on Ebay. It was in like new condition and looked identical in every way. I contacted between 8-10 local and not so local auto locksmiths. The 5-6 that did return my calls were not able to do a late model Audi keys.
I went as far as to bring the key to my dealer. $155 to reprogram it, but they stated it was already paired with a vin and could not be done. I sent the key back for a refund, and sit now seeing what else can be done.

let us know what you accomplish if you decide to go this route. Thanks
I got mine from the dealer. However there is a chip you can replace (empty /not written) in order to register new vin. That key will behave as new. You need the chip (dont remember what is called but seen it in the past at ebay) plus soldering skills.

I only use one key plus have 2 keys my Q5 came with but without keyless support and those I dont use. This is the theory.

Then you need the dealer to learn key (parametrization) and register key to database and to your vin. (Key registration goes to a secured database)

I am sure someone must have done it.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-25-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Exactly, it's called the SKC (secret key code) from the Audi Germany servers to get into the security system . But, there are ways with underground black boxes to extract that information from the car and reprogram for the new key that locksmiths make This is how they steal Audi's that don't have the Advance Key option. They just look at the VIN# dash area through the windshield, write it down, you can get a key made with a generic chip from that VIN# knowing the correct underground people. They then come back some night, open your door, plug a black box into the OBDII port, extract the SKC info and reprogram the new key chip with ease, car gone!
So Bob, if your vehicle has the Audi Advance Key option, stealing a car is more difficult or impossible?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by LX302
So Bob, if your vehicle has the Audi Advance Key option, stealing a car is more difficult or impossible?
Having the Advance Key option makes the vehicle very easy to steal. From what I know there are usually two bad guys involved. When you leave your vehicle and say go into a store the one bad guy follows you into the store. In his pocket is
a scanner/retransmitter. He gets near you as your key is always transmitting the unlock/starting code. His scanner takes your code and transmits it to the 2nd bad guy standing next to your vehicle. That guy uses that code just like your FOB does, unlocks the vehicle, starts it up, and is gone...…..

Maybe Audi has done something to the next Gen II, 2018+ vehicles to help prevent this but I haven't heard of anything different. Around here they just tow/steal a car in a few seconds so the bad guys don't need any high tech.

I don't have the Advance Key option as this is one reason why didn't want it.

I also saw on the news tonight that many different models of vehicles with systems similar to the Advance Key have owners not shutting off the engines when they get out of their vehicles in their garage attached to heir homes and die from carbon monoxide. The US government wants this fixed quickly
Old 06-30-2019, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Bob, I did read some of those articles in the news. I was looking at picking up a new Q3, and saw this question in the Q5 area and intrigued me.
The new base model Q3 only has Keyless start and there is an option to get the Advanced Key in the convenience package or have it in the Premium Plus model.
So with just the Keyless start, there is less chance of someone stealing it or are the systems pretty much the same and you just don't have the proximity sensors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good Locksmiths in the CT/RI/NY/NJ area