Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Has anyone installed a front license plate holder on their Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a front license plate holder on their Q5?

I just got mine in the mail.

No instructions.

How do you install it?

THANKS for your response.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emiliano5
I just got mine in the mail.

No instructions.

How do you install it?

THANKS for your response.

You mean the front plate holder?

In NA the front plate holder replaces the black plastic cover from front and it is pretty much click off click on.

If yours in NA model then look the back side of your new panel and you will see locking clips sticking out and each have little notch that will latch to grill.

The current one haves same locking latches at same locations so go in front of your grill, slide your fingers throung the holes and with both hands find two locking latches next to each other and gently lift it up about 1/8" and repeat same to all the way cross the grill and then other side.

When you push new in, make sure all locking latches will lock as if it is not pushed and wiggled and fiddled, latches may not lock and it may pop off.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought a small chrome framing at a car-shop, drilled 4 holes in the plastic and screwed the plate and frame right into the grille. seems fine and looks plenty good
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks kleinbus for your help!

It took me like 5 minutes to do. Now i can stop worrying about getting pulled over lol
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know why a license plate frame like this one below couldn't be used on the front of the vehicle? I think I have the holder that you've been discussing. The description on the AUDI USA site says that it (and all the holders it sells, for that matter) aren't suitable for the front. I can understand if the fasteners might need to be different since they're going into plastic and not metal like the rear, but other than that, why would it matter? I sure would like to get rid of the ugly frame that the dealer provided once my permanent plates arrive.. not mention that I hate providing free advertising for them.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have that exact frame on the front of mine. I bought it for my MB, but never put it on (didn't look right) but it looks great on the Q5.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by polaraudi
Does anyone know why a license plate frame like this one below couldn't be used on the front of the vehicle?
On my Q5, the front mounting plate only has 2 threaded holes (not 4).
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@PolarAudi
Thats the exact Chrome frame I've mounted as well. Just drilled 4 holes and mounted with screws into the plastic.
Feels solid, looks great, no worries
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
On my Q5, the front mounting plate only has 2 threaded holes (not 4).
solucien @PolarAudi
Thats the exact Chrome frame I've mounted as well. Just drilled 4 holes and mounted with screws into the plastic.
Feels solid, looks great, no worries
It's hard to see in my photo, but the ugly plastic dealer frame is secured with 4 fasteners, so they must have drilled the bottom two. Thanks for the information.. can't wait to change these things out.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by polaraudi
Does anyone know why a license plate frame like this one below couldn't be used on the front of the vehicle? I think I have the holder that you've been discussing. The description on the AUDI USA site says that it (and all the holders it sells, for that matter) aren't suitable for the front. I can understand if the fasteners might need to be different since they're going into plastic and not metal like the rear, but other than that, why would it matter? I sure would like to get rid of the ugly frame that the dealer provided once my permanent plates arrive.. not mention that I hate providing free advertising for them.
That statement from Audi USA must be left over from another model. On most of the other models, you cannot fit a normal license plate frame into indentation on the holder, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem for the Q5's front license plate holder.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a front license plate holder on their Q5?