Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hatch leaks water when opened?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch leaks water when opened?

I have read a few reviews that state that rain/snow, etc fall into the cargo area when you open the back hatch. Is that true?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Our 2010 Q5 had that problem, not sure about the 2011.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Snow is not typically too bad, but water does SOMETIMES run down the hatch in the right way when you open it that it gets in the cargo area a little. It really isn't that big of a deal, at least I have not seen it to be in my '11.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way the hatch is sealed you'll see water on the interior metal but I've never had it go into the cargo area. Snow isn't an issue either if you clean your car off first.

MrsAdams2007-

My two cents but based on the posts you've submitted to this forum it sounds like you're leaning towards an X3. Unsolicited advice but I say don't overanalyze it and just go with your gut. You don't want to be driving your new car and see the runner up and think damn I wish I had bought that instead. I knew the moment I sat in the Q5 it was going to be the one I'd buy and I had looked at a lot of cars. I really wanted to like the XC60 (they offered a sweet deal) and went back and drove it again after the Q5 test but at the end of the day I knew I'd regret it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by hmn4858; 05-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I really wanted to like the XC60 (they offered a sweet deal) and went back and drove it again after the Q5 test but at the end of the day I knew I'd regret it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Same story here! The XC60 had more options, was cheaper, had good safety standards, no waiting lists....but I felt indifferent towards it even though it made more sense on paper (yes, I actually made a list). When I think about getting my Q5 (days away now), it brings a smile to my face and that pretty much how we made up our minds!

Personally, I'm just not a fan of the BMW SUV shape, so it didn't make it onto my shopping list.

Someone told me once that you should flip a coin to help you choose...as soon as you flip it, the theory is that your choice will become clear when you discover what side you really want it to land on!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
The way the hatch is sealed you'll see water on the interior metal but I've never had it go into the cargo area. Snow isn't an issue either if you clean your car off first.

MrsAdams2007-

My two cents but based on the posts you've submitted to this forum it sounds like you're leaning towards an X3. Unsolicited advice but I say don't overanalyze it and just go with your gut. You don't want to be driving your new car and see the runner up and think damn I wish I had bought that instead. I knew the moment I sat in the Q5 it was going to be the one I'd buy and I had looked at a lot of cars. I really wanted to like the XC60 (they offered a sweet deal) and went back and drove it again after the Q5 test but at the end of the day I knew I'd regret it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Too late! Overanalyzed! This is a huge opportunity for me to have --sort of-- the car of my choosing...at least in the $50,000 range! I don't know why the Q5 doesn't feel as exciting to buy...maybe I should flip a coin! Lol
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Q5 does not feel exciting to buy.. hehe, you are in the wrong forum! I bet everyone is more excited than you here! Especially when u have a waiting list for that vehicle! Good luck on which ever you chose! Hope u let us know what u decided!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
Too late! Overanalyzed! This is a huge opportunity for me to have --sort of-- the car of my choosing...at least in the $50,000 range! I don't know why the Q5 doesn't feel as exciting to buy...maybe I should flip a coin! Lol
I fell in love with the Q5 in the 1st mile of driving it! Mine should be here any day, and I've never been as excited about a car as I am about this one! Maybe you should wait until you are absolutely sure, since you are talking about the $50,000 range. Good luck on making the right decision and here's hoping that you will eventually feel the same kind of excitement that I and others on this forum have about our purchases.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
I think this is the very reason that there are so many types of cars...everyone falls in car-love with something different!

I've had my last car for a couple of years and have never loved it. We bought it because my husband was convinced I would eventually like it like as much as he did. Didn't work!

If you have the opportunity, buy what you love! Even if it's not an Audi!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely go for the X3 if that's what your gut is telling you. It's still a great car. You're not going to regret it. Stop overthinking it and just go for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hatch leaks water when opened?